Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How is your new T6 roof bellows doing?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
In the past, there has been much discussion about the T5 roof bellows. Damage caused by getting it caught in the works when housing the roof and the canvas allowing rain to permeate through onto bedding being the main issues.

Please forgive me if I have missed it but I haven't read anything so far from new T6 owners on this subject. We have had enough wet and windy weather in the last few months to have run a reasonable test. If you have had the opportunity to get out and about in your new Cali, it would be interesting to hear your observations on the following questions please:

1. Has the catching the bellows in the scissor mechanism issue been resolved in the new roof design?
2. Is fitting a bellows bungee still an advisable precaution?
3. Does the new T6 bellows remain completely dry on the inside after prolonged heavy rain?
4. Does the new bellows material attract condensation on the inside?
5. Has its translucency been a problem?

Whilst it may be a bit early in the season and the life of the T6 to get a good impression I am sure some new owners have had experience in bad weather. Or does the silence on this matter indicate that VW have finally resolved these issues?

Last edited:
In the past, there has been much discussion about the T5 roof bellows. Damage caused by getting it caught in the works when housing the roof and the canvas allowing rain to permeate through onto bedding being the main issues.

Please forgive me if I have missed it but I haven't read anything so far from new T6 owners on this subject. We have had enough wet and windy weather in the last few months to have run a reasonable test. If you have had the opportunity to get out and about in your new Cali, it would be interesting to hear your observations on the following questions please:

1. Has the catching the bellows in the scissor mechanism issue been resolved in the new roof design?
2. Is fitting a bellows bungee still an advisable precaution?
3. Does the new T6 bellows remain completely dry on the inside after prolonged heavy rain?
4. Does the new bellows material attract condensation on the inside?

Whilst it may be a bit early in the season and the life of the T6 to get a good impression I am sure some new owners have had experience in bad weather. Or does the silence on this matter indicate that VW have finally resolved these issues?
You forgot - VW have now made it " Translucent"!

No problems to report on my T6 Beach - i am not using a bungee as the manual up and down seems well sorted. The roof comes down in two motions, so its possible to visually check before you do the locking down motion. It has been totally water tight in the not too wet weather we have been out, but you do get a bit of condensation when cold / warm - quickly clears.

Cant comment on the translucentness of the roof but we have had Red Hot Dutch on the phone ?.