How much is fish and chips?

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Recently for the occasional treat I have nipped into the local shops near work and had a lunch time special 'Fish & Chips'.
It seems great value at £4.60, there is enough and its been really tasty. You know when you smell fish and chips that isn't your own it is better than the taste in reality? well this has lived up to the aroma more often than not.

So today working from home I gave my local chippy ago and decided to order small chips, small cod and a plain sausage. My chin hit the floor when he asked for £9.10. I reversed the order and it cost me yet again £4.60 this time for just a plain sausage and chips that was mediocre quality at best. I truly am go smacked hence the reason for posting about such trivial topics.

And you???
whats reasonable?

I suppose you can’t eat in for that price so you have to eat them in your 50k Cali :thumb

We usually pay around £7 - 8 for fish’n chips. It’s usually cheaper to get a Chinese or Indian takeaway in the same places.

Paid £5.20 for two coffees yesterday! (We weren’t in the Cali).

Two COD and chips , one burger in a bun and chips, curry sauce and mushy peas all for £21 :)

We usually pay around £7 - 8 for fish’n chips. It’s usually cheaper to get a Chinese or Indian takeaway in the same places.
Thats exactly it especially at £9-£10 that I was faced with. If I had my family with me thats £28.50
and we can have way better meals for that.

I'd have been OK at £7 but from now on I stick to the shop near work.

+1 for Rick Steins fish and chips at Padstow, well worth the extra

£5.45 from the Miners Fishery in Morley where I live and the portions are big enough to share one between two of us. Queues outside and down the street most Fridays, unsurprisingly.

£4.60 is a Brill price! Where is that plaice?

I pay £8.40 at my local but it is a big bit of fish.

£4.60 is a Brill price! Where is that plaice?
Pun intended :D

Well, next time you are southampton side of the New Forest pop in to Holbury Fish Bar :thumb

Used to be 60p for cod and chips when I worked in a seaside chip shop, which was the summer I left school!!

OK....
So when I was about 7 or 8 years old a small bag of chips was 4 pence and a large bag was 5 pence.:Nailbiting

When I was a kid I collected my farthings together for a plate of chips :shocked

I remember it was about 25p when I was a youngling. And that was for what was euphemistically called 'rock salmon', which actually was dogfish or any old kind of unsuspecting small shark they happened to net, but that didn't sound so appetising.

These all seem good prices compared with those from Fish and Chips in Húsavík, Iceland. About £15 a portion, and it was several small bits of fish, they don't seem to do proper pieces of fish.

I remember it was about 25p when I was a youngling. And that was for what was euphemistically called 'rock salmon', which actually was dogfish or any old kind of unsuspecting small shark they happened to net, but that didn't sound so appetising.
........and I'll bet you could also get a new suit and a ride home on the tram for less than half a crown! :thumb

I spent holidays near London in 1968, and at that time the fish and ships was served in a sheet of newspaper. This looked strange for us coming from Belgium. Is it still like this today?

I spent holidays near London in 1968, and at that time the fish and ships was served in a sheet of newspaper. This looked strange for us coming from Belgium. Is it still like this today?
No news paper wrappings since about the 1980's I think.

No news paper wrappings since about the 1980's I think.
The inner sheet, as far as I recall, was plain paper. The outer sheets were newspaper which, when mixed with seeping oil and vinegar, darkened your hands.

Of course, those sufficiently hungry for nostalgia (and the taste of newspaper ink) can replicate this at home with an outer wrap of the Swindon Advertiser.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

The inner sheet, as far as I recall, was plain paper. The outer sheets were newspaper which, when mixed with seeping oil and vinegar, darkened your hands.
Yes, I think a small grease proof bag to shovel the chips into, laid on 1 or 2 sheets of plain paper then news paper outer wraps.
None the less, plenty of grease & vinegar to seep out. Typically not so bad these days but still enough to hold up their unhealthy reputation o_O

OK....
So when I was about 7 or 8 years old a small bag of chips was 4 pence and a large bag was 5 pence.:Nailbiting
Portions were 4d and 6d in our local chippy, I remember as a kid people would typically ask for “Two fours and two sixes please”.

One portion of fish’n chips now is more than the average weekly wage then! :D

These all seem good prices compared with those from Fish and Chips in Húsavík, Iceland. About £15 a portion, and it was several small bits of fish, they don't seem to do proper pieces of fish.
Somewhere in the North West we found some young folk who had set up with a mobile chippy trailer thing, superb proper fish and chips picnic tables and the works, recon your not far of with the price though, I was shocked to find out we had paid around £8 per slice of carrot cake in a cafe and around a fiver for a coffee, this was 2017.

Back