Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much?

Right. I'm going to see if we can introduce a system of symbols/icons that indicate the level of knowledge a forum member has on a particular subject. You've seen them elsewhere, perhaps a little spanner symbol indicating somebody knows his way around the engine bay.

Maybe Bobble Hats would work here.

I'm giving you 5 Bobble Hat symbols Dan. :crazy

S.

If there's one material thing in life I love, it's hats ;)

For reference, I'm not even sure how to open the bonnet, so won't be requiring any spanners.

Hehe, I remember that trip well, we were camped just outside Buxton, near the highest bookshop in the UK ;)

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Most I've seen an Atalantic advertised for was 36,000 Euro, but it was an immaculate syncro. It sold, although I don't know what for.

However, for really silly prices, Go Westy in the US have some interesting T3 Syncros....

http://www.gowesty.com/vehicle_details.php?id=1634

They're brilliant things for sure, but it's getting silly out there.

The US is a very different market but I agree - silly money - Syncros very very desirable out there.

Go for the American Multivan - late as poss - very very nice.

As an ex owner... lol

Anyone want to help me find a T4 Cali? :)

It was mentioned that 12k should get a good / ok one?

Think it's time to get rid of the T2.

Hi.

Get in touch with Andy here http://www.campervans4u.com/stocklist.html

It appears he has a VW T4 California Generation 2001 coming in at £16995. If that's out of your range, do still talk to him and let him know you are waiting with whatever your budget is. That's how I got first dibs on mine - it never made it to his website.

For us Smurf fans, he also has a 2002 Exclusive coming in at £21995!

for 12k you can have mine. It might look ok if you squint a bit... :D

There have been plenty on ebay recently if you are happy buying privately.

If you are happy with petrol, seem to be lots coming from Japan that will probably be pretty rust free.

Diesel wise, not sure if 12k is going to get you into 2.5tdi territory, but the the 2.4d and 1.9td are solid and simple, if a bit slow.

Common rust areas to check are wheel arches and around the windscreen. Other things to check are working fridge and if fitted, heater.

Other dealers are:

http://eastfalia.com/
http://www.vwcampersales.com/

And another in Milton Keynes (advertises on ebay. Just Westy or something)

hth,
dan

Atlantic was the top of the line Westy T3 camper and fully winterised.

Interestingly, the California was bottom of the range as it was aimed at warmer climes, so as standard it had no heater or double glazing. Many of them have these things, but because they were added options I think.

The Jokers sat in the middle, but the Cali and the Atlantic weren't introduced until quite late in the T3 production run. '88 maybe?

In Europe - the Jokers were replaced by the California and Atlantic. You're right, the California T25/T3 was cheaper and hence why now, you see more of them.

It should also be remembered that Multivans were campers and produced by Westy, in effect giving the T25 at the end of its lifespan three different campers.

In America, slightly different, no Claifornia or Atlantic, just a Camper by Westy, a Multivan (more plush than Euro Versions) and a Weekender, a kind of Multivan with a Westy Wardrobe in the back.

All American vans were badged Vanagon and came as standard microbus layout and finally as multivans. The idea in America was to market them as the ultimate family people carrier.

finally to confuse the whole T25/T3 thing, final European Californias and Atlantics had American Vanagon badges on the back.

James

James said:
All American vans were badged Vanagon and came as standard microbus layout and finally as multivans. The idea in America was to market them as the ultimate family people carrier.

Cheers for the info. The history of the Westy T3s gets a bit confusing in places...

I think the US microbus layout would also have been because of the 'chicken tax' issue, making it pretty much impossible to sell a European produced commercial vehicles in the states.

James said:

Cheers for the info. The history of the Westy T3s gets a bit confusing in places...

I think the US microbus layout would have been because of the 'chicken tax' issue, making it pretty much impossible to sell a European produced commercial vehicles in the states.

No doubt but going back to the T2 VW had sold microbuses. The Vanagon was marketed in turn as the ultimate family vehicle. There are some great American adverts in YouTube.

There's always been a market in the US for big family vehicles.

With the US T3 the microbus layout only mirrors the Euro Caravelle. Then they dropped that and used a Multivan layout but with higher specs.

James

Those old US adverts are great. No way you could get away with some of them now.

"Would your wife say yes to a camping trip after 50 straight weeks of cooking? Then she's the right kind of wife to own a VW microbus"

The ASA would have kittens!

T4WFA said:
Hi.

Get in touch with Andy here http://www.campervans4u.com/stocklist.html

It appears he has a VW T4 California Generation 2001 coming in at £16995. If that's out of your range, do still talk to him and let him know you are waiting with whatever your budget is. That's how I got first dibs on mine - it never made it to his website.

For us Smurf fans, he also has a 2002 Exclusive coming in at £21995!
Yes I found Andy a fair guy to deal with he sources all the vans himself from Germany, look on his home page and see my silver cali :D fresh of the ferry
Ron.

It appears he has a VW T4 California Generation 2001 coming in at £16995.

The price went up to £19,995!

Yikes ! I knew T4's were on the way up, and it was warm last week, but that's some change.

Back