Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to downshift an automatic transmission

GrandCaliforniaFI

GrandCaliforniaFI

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi all!
I got a Grand California 600 with automatic transmission. How do you downshift your automatic transmission to save your breaks when driving in mountain areas?
Thank you for your answers in advance!

If it’s the same as my Cali t6.1, you just move the auto shift towards the right and can then select gears manually.

If it’s the same as my Cali t6.1, you just move the auto shift towards the right and can then select gears manually.
Correct,
It also seems to be pretty good at auto changing down with a light touch on the brakes.

Thanks, GrumpyGranddad and andyinluton!

I have got the manual option as well. I was not sure if I can switch to the manual on the go.

I tried slowing down to downshift on the automatic gear, but once the van picked up the speed, it started shifting up.

In my T5 if you use the brakes for a bit to make it clear to the van computer that you are slowing down a hill then the auto hill descent mode kicks in and the auto gearbox keeps in as low a gear as it is able. If you haven’t used the brakes for a bit then it doesn’t know you want to keep the speed low, so will auto change up.

Interested to read as we have a MAN TGE Auto on order. However the Crafter / TGE auto box is NOT A DSG so may be different to those commented on above.

VW order spec says that 8 speed Auto box is fitted which I'd assume to be the same/similar to that fitted to vehicles across various manufacturers - ie a computer controlled clutch operating system.

In time a gearbox remap may become available but the potential sales market may be too low for design investment currently.

VW order spec says that 8 speed Auto box is fitted which I'd assume to be the same/similar to that fitted to vehicles across various manufacturers - ie a computer controlled clutch operating system.

In time a gearbox remap may become available but the potential sales market may be too low for design investment currently.
There is no clutch on a GC it’s a traditional torque converter automatic.

I don’t know why anyone would need a remap, it behaves exactly how you would expect a decent auto box to.
For downhill engine braking it changes down with a very small tap on the brakes.
For going faster it responds well to throttle inputs to decide how many gears to change down.
Pulling away is far better than on an ocean with the torque converter cushioning the drive engaging so no sudden jerk & no wheelspin at greasy junctions.

If you don’t like the way it’s behaving there’s always manual mode.

There is no clutch on a GC it’s a traditional torque converter automatic.

I don’t know why anyone would need a remap, it behaves exactly how you would expect a decent auto box to.
For downhill engine braking it changes down with a very small tap on the brakes.
For going faster it responds well to throttle inputs to decide how many gears to change down.
Pulling away is far better than on an ocean with the torque converter cushioning the drive engaging so no sudden jerk & no wheelspin at greasy junctions.

If you don’t like the way it’s behaving there’s always manual mode.
Unusual to find Torque Converter still in use with demand for accurate emission control.

Unusual to find Torque Converter still in use with demand for accurate emission control.
Its not "still in use" its a new design developed specifically for the Crafter, I do prefer it to the Ocean DSG box - feels exactly the same as a DSG once on the move with none of slurring between gears that you used to get on old 3 speed autos, whilst it still retains that flexibility for very low speed manovering.
Driving up levelling ramps for example is far easier along with uphill reversing than it is with a DSG

What they said at the launch:

8-speed torque converter automatic gearbox
Use of the newly developed AQ450 gearbox in the new Crafter represents the first time that an 8-speed automatic gearbox is being used in combination with a front-wheel drive and transverse engine configuration in the commercial vehicle segment. It is available for front-wheel drive versions and at a later time it will also be available for the all-wheel drive version.

In keeping with commercial vehicle requirements, a rugged design was defined, and gear ratios that were tuned for low fuel consumption and optimised driving performance were selected. This was achieved by various measures: for instance, the new AQ450 8-speed torque converter automatic gearbox has a differential with four bevel gears and a large ball mass. Furthermore, a specially designed torque converter was installed that was designed for commercial vehicle loads; various shaft bearings were reinforced; and the planetary gears have double bearings. In addition, the gearbox case was optimised for tough duty in the commercial vehicle segment; the overrunning clutch was reinforced; and a larger parking lock was integrated.

Last edited:
Back