ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi everyone,

I removed the roll-out awning on our T5 when winter came. Used an instructionvideo for a T6 that I found here on the forum. Worked like a charm. Now I am trying to re-attach the awning to the van, but I am running into a bit of trouble. I put the rubber strip back, re-attached the brackets to the van and am now at the point where all I have to do is attach the awning to the brackets with 2 bolts. However..... to do this the anwing need to be opened up and quite far as well. Then at least 1 people need to hold it up in the air, while it's half way opened and then I can screw in the bolts. That just doesnt seem like the right way to do it. I figued I could attach the brackets to the awning first but that doesnt solve the problem of having to open up the awening and wont allow me to attach the brackets+awning to the van later on.

What am I not getting here? Perhaps I coudl find an answer online if I had more time to look, but I'm in the middle of the job right now, so any help would be appreciated.

You do need to open the awning to bolt it to the brackets but the case should be resting on the brackets taking the weight

I refitted the awning and indeed, the thing has to be unrolled to get at the two final fixing screws.
The lip on the back of the awning case fits very tightly to the brackets. The first time I unrolled it the front end dropped to the ground. I hadn't made sure that the case was firmly pushed down onto the brackets. It takes a good downward 'thump' to make sure it is fully located.
Whilst open deploy the legs. This is where a second person is helpful
to hang on to the casing while opening.
You may need a pry bar to line up the screw holes once they are visible.
I actually found the rubber strip a right pain to refit, copious amounts of KY jelly did it for me !

Calikev thanks a lot. You solved it for me. For some reason I remembered it could hang without the bolts but I just didnt see the small edge/ledge in the awning that allowed it to hang on the brackets, untill you said it. Much appreciated! Extra karma points for you! :)

I refitted the awning and indeed, the thing has to be unrolled to get at the two final fixing screws.
The lip on the back of the awning case fits very tightly to the brackets. The first time I unrolled it the front end dropped to the ground. I hadn't made sure that the case was firmly pushed down onto the brackets. It takes a good downward 'thump' to make sure it is fully located.
Whilst open deploy the legs. This is where a second person is helpful
to hang on to the casing while opening.
You may need a pry bar to line up the screw holes once they are visible.
I actually found the rubber strip a right pain to refit, copious amounts of KY jelly did it for me !

Thanks to you too Eddie. Solved it with Kevin's help, but will surely write down your description to keep for future reference.

Thanks to you too Eddie. Solved it with Kevin's help, but will surely write down your description to keep for future reference.
I have marked the awning casing and brackets so as to be able to precisely line it up next time.

Last edited:
You're completely right Bart. Totally forgot about that option! Just happy you didn't see me make a fool of myself :) But will surely think of it next time. Thanks!

Just happy you didn't see me make a fool of myself :)
Well, we have a story about the first time we had to take off and re-attach ours, unprepared, on a Welsh dealer’s parking... :sorry

Last edited:
Just read your story. I can empathize. We spend a week in the mountains in Italy with our T4. 35 degrees celsius every single day. Went for a 1-hour walk. Thunderstorm. Came back. Found we left our awning out. It was holding liters of rain water. The canvas nearly touching the ground. When I tried to lower one of the poles, to let the rain out, both broke under the weight. Luckily it was an easy repair job.

Back