Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

how to test charger and relay is working???

mal-practice

mal-practice

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi,

I know quite a few people have had the same problem, as in the batteries not receiving a charge on hook-up, but i was wanting to know the best way to check the charger before spending a fortune on replacing it.
Here is my diagnosis;

1. Leisure batteries receive a charge while engine is running but showing nothing when not running and on hook-up (batteries are also flat and need replacing).
  2. Main battery shows 12.4v when not on hook-up and the same when on hook-up.
  3. sockets in the van work fine when on hook-up.
  4. Relay show 12.4v and doesn't change if on hook-up.
  5. display panel shows the plug symbol when hooked-up.
Now I'm no wizz when it comes to electrics so if someone could give me an idiots guide to testing the relay, to see if that is the problem and the charger that would be great.

I've attached an image of the charger so someone might be able to tell me which connections to probe?
20180310_155703.jpg

Any help would be much apreciated,

Dan.

Hi,

I know quite a few people have had the same problem, as in the batteries not receiving a charge on hook-up, but i was wanting to know the best way to check the charger before spending a fortune on replacing it.
Here is my diagnosis;

1. Leisure batteries receive a charge while engine is running but showing nothing when not running and on hook-up (batteries are also flat and need replacing).
  2. Main battery shows 12.4v when not on hook-up and the same when on hook-up.
  3. sockets in the van work fine when on hook-up.
  4. Relay show 12.4v and doesn't change if on hook-up.
  5. display panel shows the plug symbol when hooked-up.
Now I'm no wizz when it comes to electrics so if someone could give me an idiots guide to testing the relay, to see if that is the problem and the charger that would be great.

I've attached an image of the charger so someone might be able to tell me which connections to probe?
View attachment 30836

Any help would be much apreciated,

Dan.
Would it be possible to give us a little clue as to the year of the vehicle and possibly the model? You have no details in your profile.

Prior to 2006 I’m not sure that the built in Charger was able to charge the Engine Battery.
You have stated that the sockets in the van work. Is that the Mains 230v or the 12v sockets?
If it is the Mains sockets when on Hookup then check that the Charger is receiving 230v as both the Socket and Charger receive their 230 v supply via the RCD circuit breakers located near the Mains Hook Up entry.

Hi,

Yeah sorry its a 1994 T4 Westy California.

It is the 230v sockets that work on hookup. OK but how to I check that the charger is receiving 230v? Do I get to the circuit breakers from the wardrobe cupboard at the rear?

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi,

Yeah sorry its a 1994 T4 Westy California.

It is the 230v sockets that work on hookup. OK but how to I check that the charger is receiving 230v? Do I get to the circuit breakers from the wardrobe cupboard at the rear?

Cheers,

Dan.
That big black plug on the charger in your picture. That’s the Mains plug. Can you check the voltage there?

Dan,

Welcome.

Chances are your charger is knackered.

To test for input supply just plug in the hook up and use a volt stick on the cable going into the charger.

The photo below shows your split charge relay.

To confirm it’s working, pull off the small white plug and apply 12v across the two terminals. You will hear it click.

If the charger is working you will see 13.4 v on the single large red cable on the left.

Keep us up to date on your findings.

P.

C6E5EB82-115D-48B9-8246-C5BF1EE57454.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sidepod for your advice.

I'm getting 230v at the charger plug, only 12.3v on the red wire to the relay, and nothing to the battery terminals.

So it looks like a new charger is needed.

I might take it out and have a look to see what the damage is. As it's just basically a circuit board with a load of pcb's on, im wondering if I can get it fixed somewhere?

Thanks again.

Dan.

There is a thread out there on webberynet on repair of said board.

Plenty of stuff on here about this charger and alternatives.

A gen unit will set you back 500 Euro.

In the mean time, let’s see some pics of your van, spec etc.

Thanks sidepod for your advice.

I'm getting 230v at the charger plug, only 12.3v on the red wire to the relay, and nothing to the battery terminals.

So it looks like a new charger is needed.

I might take it out and have a look to see what the damage is. As it's just basically a circuit board with a load of pcb's on, im wondering if I can get it fixed somewhere?

Thanks again.

Dan.
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...category/400000/part_id/3707145/lang/e#sec_13

Part 13

Exact replacement €551

https://lincospares.com/en/701070519B

Wow, so the price is actually going up!

Sidepod, it your photo you have a CTek charger installed, is that an additional charger or an aftermarket replacement?

Anyway, here is a pic of our Cali Tour ;)

.facebook_1520838251858.jpg

Back