Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Split Charge/Mains Hookup/ Leisure Battery

J

JakDaniells

Hi
We have a 1996 Westfalia California.

The leisure battery appears to charge when the engine is running, but doesn't seem to charge when connected to the mains hook up. I get a reading of @14.2v on overhead display with engine running, but nothing when hooked up, the prongs symbol appears randomly when I'm driving along.

It has, I believe, the original Philips PE2169/01F charger, which I removed and found the circuits look pretty fried.

Someone has suggested I fit a different charger, like a TVS1220M from TravelVolts, but I'm not sure how easy this will be to fit with the existing wiring and split charge/mains hook up system ? I'm ok with a bit of DIY stuff as long as someone can point me in the right direction !

Also looking at replacing the leisure battery as it doesn't hold charge too well, looks like the battery is about 6 years old.

Any suggestions, tips, wiring diagrams etc. gratefully received ! :crazy

:thanks

Ok so the 14v you see whilst the engine is running simply indicates your alternator is healthy.

Random appearance of the "elusive" prong icon whilst driving is bizarre as it indicates connection to mains.

Regarding fitting an aftermarket charger, I'd check to see if it provides a dual output , ie a charging output for both your leisure battery and the starter battery. The original Westy unit does. The correct Westy unit is also silent. You may find an aftermarket unit hums when you're hooked up and trying to sleep!!

So to confirm your charger is working or not get a voltmeter and check the input at the leisure battery terminals.
Plug in your mains hookup cable. Set your voltmeter to DC volts, 20v range, and place the probes on the battery terminals. You're looking for a reading around 13.5 volts.
Repeat on the main starter battery.
This is of course without the engine running.

New genuine Westy chargers are available from Gunzl bus shop. Aporox cost E500.

Hopes this helps.

S.

Oops, I forgot to say, eliminate the obvious. Do check you're actually getting mains input to the charger when on hook up.

S.

JakDaniells said:
Hi
We have a 1996 Westfalia California.

It has, I believe, the original Philips PE2169/01F charger, which I removed and found the circuits look pretty fried.
:thanks

Do you have a photo? What part looks fried? It may be repairable...

I found a wiring diagram for a US spec EuroVan camper, which was basically a California if I recall correctly.

http://bowwoweddie.files.wordpress.com/ ... camper.pdf

together with installation instructions for original charger, gives you a pretty good idea how it's all supposed to work...

http://www.westfaliat4.info/WestfaliaBa ... InfoWM.pdf

Lee

I get a reading of @14.2v on overhead display with engine running, but nothing when hooked up,

If you really are showing 'nothing' on hook up (rather than something like 12.6v) then the problem may well be with the battery and it's connections. I get 13.7v (? remember) showing on hook up.
What does it show unplugged and engine not running? It should show the true battery voltage, around 12.6 v.

Thanks guys. Should be an image attached of the fried charger. Have checked all voltages. Battery reads 12.8v when not connected to mains and engine not running. Display shows 12.9v.
With engine running display shows @14v and battery 13.5v

On mains hook up I have 240v in the charger connection but battery stays at 12.6v as does the main battery.

image.jpg

Well I think we've found the source of your troubles right there :lol: That's the mains fuse and looks like a big cap has gone pop, possibly looks worse than it is.

Get some alcohol and a stiff brush to clean that lot up and double check what's expired.

Back