Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to turn off the Day time running lights?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

I have searched high an low to find out how to turn off the drls , ive read forums, even asked vw and still cannot find the answer so hopefully you Cali gurus can find a cure :)

Looking through the VW van accessories brochure, spotted the led drl light so got them fitted by vw as a treat . So so SO bright (photos dont do them justice) so im very haooy with them, but dont like the halogen drls now so want them off. Even VW didnt know how to do it? I was hoping it was just a fuse.

I know drl are a legal requirement but i have the led drls one now. The older halogen ones do nothing but be the drls, there not fog, dipped or main bean, just drls so really don't need or want them on anymore.

I dont want two different kind of drl lights going on, looks a bit silly, can anyone help please :)
20190712_191424.jpg

20190712_215106.jpg

20190712_193308.jpg

20190712_194625.jpg

20190712_215316.jpg

Take the bulbs out?
Other than that you can code them out via VCDS

Dear Cali Gurus,

I have searched high an low to find out how to turn off the drls , ive read forums, even asked vw and still cannot find the answer so hopefully you Cali gurus can find a cure :)

Looking through the VW van accessories brochure, spotted the led drl light so got them fitted by vw as a treat . So so SO bright (photos dont do them justice) so im very haooy with them, but dont like the halogen drls now so want them off. Even VW didnt know how to do it? I was hoping it was just a fuse.

I know drl are a legal requirement but i have the led drls one now. The older halogen ones do nothing but be the drls, there not fog, dipped or main bean, just drls so really don't need or want them on anymore.

I dont want two different kind of drl lights going on, looks a bit silly, can anyone help please :)
View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47636

View attachment 47631

View attachment 47632
I was talking to Breeze Totton as I might get some fitted to my T6, I was told that they have to disable the originals as it is not legal to have the old ones and the new on at the same time.

Take the bulbs out?
Other than that you can code them out via VCDS
Not as simple as removing the Bulb as it is a Dual Filament Bulb, DRL and Headlight, at least it is on my SE . Might be different on the T6.

Dear Cali Gurus,

View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47636

View attachment 47631

View attachment 47632
How are the new DRLs wired in. If they are in parallel with the existing Halogen DRLs then switching one off will switch both off and that’s a No No.

Not as simple as removing the Bulb as it is a Dual Filament Bulb, DRL and Headlight, at least it is on my SE . Might be different on the T6.
Hi @WelshGas, no its not a dual filament. Just a bog standard bulb that does drl?

What the devil is a VCDS?? Dont think ive got one of them in my diy toolbox :oops:

I was talking to Breeze Totton as I might get some fitted to my T6, I was told that they have to disable the originals as it is not legal to have the old ones and the new on at the same time.
Not sure if that's correct, just double safe having two sets of drls, they just don't do my ocd any good having super bright white leds drls and orange halogen lights on the same time.

Here the halogen drls not turned on, just standard bulbs
20190717_210230.jpg

Not sure if that's correct, just double safe having two sets of drls, they just don't do my ocd any good having super bright white leds drls and orange halogen lights on the same time.
Speak to @VWGuru at Breeze Poole, he will have the info you require.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the devil is a VCDS?? Dont think ive got one of them in my diy toolbox :oops:
It’s a nasty disease transmitted through illicit contact with Vbubbers via obd ports, it is highly contagious and can lead to all sorts of changes to basic factory fitted systems. Many on here have the virus!
Seriously it’s a software control access system for VW based vehicle applications, you use it to access the computer that is your vehicle ( very useful) you can changes settings and interrogate system faults etc, search this site !

Dear Cali Gurus,

View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47636

View attachment 47631

View attachment 47632
I think the Carista dongle and app will do it.
Where in Cymru are you?

It’s a nasty disease transmitted through illicit contact with Vbubbers via obd ports, it is highly contagious and can lead to all sorts of changes to basic factory fitted systems. Many on here have the virus!
Seriously it’s a software control access system for VW based vehicle applications, you use it to access the computer that is your vehicle ( very useful) you can changes settings and interrogate system faults etc, search this site !
Lol, but all sounds very ott and complicated just to turn some bulbs off. Is there not an easier way? Surely theres that a very simple solution? What about jist seapping bulbs for deads one? Anybody got any dead bulbs?

Lol, but all sounds very ott and complicated just to turn some bulbs off. Is there not an easier way? Surely theres that a very simple solution? What about jist seapping bulbs for deads one? Anybody got any dead bulbs?
Ok, so you have the H4 Headlights. Pop a bulb out and see what happens. The worse will be a Bulb failure light on the Dash, cleared by putting the bulb back. You can get Super white replacement bulbs or even LED equivalent so both DRLs are white!

i had this same problem when i had the LEDs fitted on my 2013 5.1. There is a procedure you can do on the dash..for the life of me cant remember...and it doesnt involve removing fuses or vcd...just had a quick search on the net..i think its this procedure .but dont hold me to that..been ages since i did it..

Still hoping some Cali guru would give a easier solution tham messing with the internal guts of the Cali :Nailbiting

Dear Cali Gurus,

View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47636

View attachment 47631

View attachment 47632
Would it be a MOT failure when it comes around ie if they are there they should work, just putting out there.

Would it be a MOT failure when it comes around ie if they are there they should work, just putting out there.
No, as it would have vw fitted led running lights instead. I jist want them off :headbang

i had this same problem when i had the LEDs fitted on my 2013 5.1. There is a procedure you can do on the dash..for the life of me cant remember...and it doesnt involve removing fuses or vcd...just had a quick search on the net..i think its this procedure .but dont hold me to that..been ages since i did it..
Earlier vehicles you could switch them off as they were not obligatory. Later vehicles not so easily done as they are now a legal requirement.

Back