Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hydraulic repairs in the North

vmaxkiddy

vmaxkiddy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I seem to remember that a roof hydraulic repair company was mentioned, possibly in Yorkshire or along the M62 corridor. I’ve searched and can’t find one. Taking my van to kernow transporters with the roof strapped down is a daunting prospect as they’re 380 miles away from Skegness.
At the very least a pipe on the motor body needs to be replaced or repaired, possibly a new headlining required too, as mice appear to have got bored with chewing engine wiring and insulation and moved to the penthouse suite of my van.
When I gained access to the motor to emergency lower the roof chewed insulation was in the glasses stowage. The drivers side visor light has chewed red tissue paper in it which were kept in the rear overhead locker, so they like to travel to get their bedding. It’s all a bit of a fluster cluck really
If anyone can remember the company, or recommend another, and post here that would be fantastic.

IMG_0844.jpeg

Are you thinking of the Bradford engineer mentioned in this thread:

I seem to remember that a roof hydraulic repair company was mentioned, possibly in Yorkshire or along the M62 corridor. I’ve searched and can’t find one. Taking my van to kernow transporters with the roof strapped down is a daunting prospect as they’re 380 miles away from Skegness.
At the very least a pipe on the motor body needs to be replaced or repaired, possibly a new headlining required too, as mice appear to have got bored with chewing engine wiring and insulation and moved to the penthouse suite of my van.
When I gained access to the motor to emergency lower the roof chewed insulation was in the glasses stowage. The drivers side visor light has chewed red tissue paper in it which were kept in the rear overhead locker, so they like to travel to get their bedding. It’s all a bit of a fluster cluck really
If anyone can remember the company, or recommend another, and post here that would be fantastic.

View attachment 116282
Those rodents have a lot to answer for. I think that headliner is going to require replacement. There is a foam backing and the oil will have soaked into the substrate and causing it to degrade over time, resulting in separation and sagging. Plus hydraulic fluids are not particularly healthy to inhale.

Hi vmaxkiddy et al

It might be my post that you read.
My update may or may not help.
I used Darren at M&G motors of Bradford. He was brilliant. 07970 784 104. However they have moved from the Bradford unit, and he told me the new unit doesn't have the same height capacity. Therefore he probably can't service your roof but might suggest someone who can.

The other route would be to contact Graham at Roof Motors in Ilkley - 07974 767 332. They supply refurbished motors for elevating roofs on sports cars etc. He may know of another northern based expert whom he supplies. What you are looking for is someone who knows the hydraulics and is familiar with moving roofs.
I would be interested in how you get on.

Are you thinking of the Bradford engineer mentioned in this thread:

Yes, that’s the one, thanks. As the roof doesn’t need to be raised to do the work, only to bleed the system (hopefully) he may be able to carry out the job.
Thanks to all for the other suggestions

I fully understand your reluctance to travel to Kernow Transporter (KT).

Richard Milton of KT recently repaired my roof ……sensors. He has an extensive background in fitting elevating roofs and in particular the VW California roof. He has stock and may I suggest giving him a call and confident he will be able to advise you. He did mention he was going to concentrate on selling parts as opposed to installing elevating roofs.

Four mice dealt with, now to deal with the mess. Red serviettes stored in the rear overhead locker make good nesting material, goodness knows how they moved them so far. Hydraulic pipe was obviously very tasty to them. Unfortunately it’s too small a bore to repair by splicing a section in.

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg

Looks cozier than my bed. What a mess.

Blimey……..but at least it’s on the road to a working roof. I’m sure this post will give others sleepless nights.

No doubt you have preventative measures in place to ensure the wildlife does not return?

Back