Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I nearly cried this morning ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Am I the only one who gets stupidly sentimental over a van?

just over a year ago Alfie was brutally, harshly scarred by a carelessly handled supermarket trolley. I was cooking at the time, night shelter for the homeless in Littlehampton, and came out at 10pm to find a long scratch down one side :(

He was booked in 12 months ago but lockdown interrupted.

Today I took him to the body hospital. Whilst I was waiting for Jo to pick me up I heard an engine start up and turned round to see hime being driven into the body shop .... I almost burst into tears!!! :shocked:(

Perhaps you are. It's only a vehicle and you can't expect it to be in pristine condition forever. There's nothing wrong with a few battle scars, they may devalue your pride and joy somewhat, but does it matter if you are going to have a long term relationship? I appreciate that marks inflicted by careless trolley pushers (and other inconsiderates) can be upsetting, but life's too short.
I got my car repaired after a rear end shunt, first day back, bang! Rear end shunt. The body shop just laughed and updated the previous quote.

Perhaps you are. It's only a vehicle and you can't expect it to be in pristine condition forever. There's nothing wrong with a few battle scars, they may devalue your pride and joy somewhat, but does it matter if you are going to have a long term relationship? I appreciate that marks inflicted by careless trolley pushers (and other inconsiderates) can be upsetting, but life's too short.
I got my car repaired after a rear end shunt, first day back, bang! Rear end shunt. The body shop just laughed and updated the previous quote.

Oh I have no problem with battle scars, they way I drive it's just as well :shocked

It was seeing him being driven off by someone else :(

I expect with Covid restrictions you won't be allowed to visit him while he's in the body hospital.

I will try and contact with zoom
If it was a T6.1 you would be able to keep in touch with We-Connect.

In theory anyway, the "last journey" readout on mine is about a fortnight behind & it only shows me where than van is if I'm the one driving it. I don't know how I ever managed without an app of this quality!

If it was a T6.1 you would be able to keep in touch with We-Connect.

In theory anyway, the "last journey" readout on mine is about a fortnight behind & it only shows me where than van is if I'm the one driving it. I don't know how I ever managed without an app of this quality!
I like how it tells you all the doors and windows are open when they're not.

I like how it tells you all the doors and windows are open when they're not.
If I didn't know that the wife was out driving it, I would be somewhat concerned that the app says its on the drive & all locked up, yet all I can see is the empty space where it is usually parked.

There's just something wrong with watching your vehicle being driven by someone else, I guess you either feel it or don't.

Too true.

When I sold Albert I had a tear in my eye despite having a big lump of dosh in my bank account, Albert going to a really good owner and Alfie waiting to be collected.

Something about a cali builds up a great affection for it.

I felt like that about my Bariban.
On the one hand, pleased that the young couple who bought him were so excited and over the moon, full of plans; on the other hand, their child hanging off the tailgate and swinging on the side door shrieking her head off. I knew that he was going to have a tough time...

Even worse when sold and the new owner writes it off within months or you find it sitting forlorn in a scrapyard looking OK but abandoned.

I cried all the way to the dealer with The Silver Dream Machine last July. Picked up the new silver dream machine 4 or was it 5 weeks ago and not yet felt a moment of excitement. I haven’t even checked everything yet.
I think this whole weird pandemic situation has affected us all in different ways.
I hope Alfie’s battle scars are operated on successfully and he goes on to live a long and happy life with you and Jo.

I cried all the way to the dealer with The Silver Dream Machine last July. Picked up the new silver dream machine 4 or was it 5 weeks ago and not yet felt a moment of excitement. I haven’t even checked everything yet.
I think this whole weird pandemic situation has affected us all in different ways.
I hope Alfie’s battle scars are operated on successfully and he goes on to live a long and happy life with you and Jo.

I think that I'm getting quite excited now. I am away for three nights in a couple of weeks time then 2 weeks after that we embark on our 50 day, 900 mile cycle ride. I've stripped Alfie out completely so I can repack specifically for being 50 days away so he is all spick, span and ready to roll.

ALFIE I LOVE YOU!!!!

I keep checking mine on We Connect as it's in for repair. Not sure I like it saying that "Florence" is in the carpark not the workshop especially knowing the side door had to be cut to get it open. Oh yes the doors and windows are open on the damaged side. So you are probably best off not having a T6.1, less knowledge less worry..........

I keep checking mine on We Connect as it's in for repair. Not sure I like it saying that "Florence" is in the carpark not the workshop especially knowing the side door had to be cut to get it open. Oh yes the doors and windows are open on the damaged side. So you are probably best off not having a T6.1, less knowledge less worry..........

It could be that they've disconnected the battery & its still showing last known position? Thats what I would be trying to persuade myself.

It could be that they've disconnected the battery & its still showing last known position? Thats what I would be trying to persuade myself.
Except I drove past today and can see the rear end with my number plate on it. I am so sad........ Have e-mailed to make sure their is no chance of water rain/snow damage.

I expect with Covid restrictions you won't be allowed to visit him while he's in the body hospital.
If you wear a mask and he wears a bonnet bra, you should be alright.

just over a year ago Alfie was brutally, harshly scarred by a carelessly handled supermarket trolley. I was cooking at the time, night shelter for the homeless in Littlehampton, and came out at 10pm to find a long scratch down one side :(

Today I took him to the body hospital. Whilst I was waiting for Jo to pick me up I heard an engine start up and turned round to see hime being driven into the body shop .... I almost burst into tears!!! :shocked:(
You are certainly not alone. I mourned van no 1 when I decided to trade it in for van no 2. Very upset when van no 2 received a deliberate mutilation with a key and poor van no 3 was clouted by a range rover before it was a year old. I hate leaving them in hospital overnight and tell the medics to be sure to look after them.

I must say I have a similar affection for most of the vehicles I have owned. I suppose it’s the fact that they are generally, a very expensive item so why wouldn’t you look after them?
I still mourn my Land rover defender which I sold 6 years ago and wish I had kept it. Not a Cali, I know but the same thing.

Back