Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I want to sit up in bed! Ideas?

I would be thinking of using something like a MG bonnet prop, available from Brown & Gammons etc - once extended a part pops out to stop the prop retracting, to release it pull the prop up a bit further & let it drop back. Would let you pull up & drop down from inside the van. aha9717.jpeg

Hi Tim

May I ask if you could provide dimensions and the material you used? I’m going to attempt to make this myself! Thank you.
Attached are a couple of screen shots detailing the materials I used plus the websites I used to purchase. A link for the rubber tubing. Also attached a basic drawing with dimensions (those with two sizes are for seperate struts). I hope that makes sense.

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 10.25.02.png

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 10.26.58.png

Attachments

• rotated_2022_06_10_10_40_09.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 18
I would be thinking of using something like a MG bonnet prop, available from Brown & Gammons etc - once extended a part pops out to stop the prop retracting, to release it pull the prop up a bit further & let it drop back. Would let you pull up & drop down from inside the van. View attachment 94309
This also looks interesting! Have you tried it? :D

Why the rubber tubing?
The tubing, with the countersunk M6 inside, pushes into the holes on the side of the van. Using the wingnut on the other side, the srew (and its head) is pulled through the inside of the tube, which expands and this holds the strut firm inside the hole.

The tubing, with the countersunk M6 inside, pushes into the holes on the side of the van. Using the wingnut on the other side, the srew (and its head) is pulled through the inside of the tube, which expands and this holds the strut firm inside the hole.
I really appreciate it. You’re lucky to have skills like these. I’m going to use my brother-in-law to help make something for our van.

I really appreciate it. You’re lucky to have skills like these. I’m going to use my brother-in-law to help make something for our van.
Morning Tim! I’ve sorted the two aluminium pieces and cut the various bits. That diagram was so helpful. I’ve ordered all the pieces. And now I have one or two more questions. Haha! Sorry!

I’ve purchased the rubber tubing, two half nut hex lock nuts in A2, five wing nuts M6 in A2 and six countersunk M6 in A2.

What goes where? In the images you share, it looks like there might be four half nut hex lock nuts…? I’m no engineer and stuff like this always confuses me. But it’s a surprise for the hubby for his birthday. Hehe!

Hi Penny,
"What goes where?"
A couple more pictures here showing the M6 bolt going through the tube, the strut and the wing nut threaded on the other side. Same on each strut.
The M20 Nuts are used to hand tighten the struts onto the bed frame when it's in the upright position, one for each side of the frame/strut. (sorry no pictures of that).
I'm afraid the quantities on the Westfieldfasteners order are somewhat misleading as these were the minimum orders for each item.
Making sense? Please feel free to drop me a private message and I can contact you directly if you have any further questions.

IMG_2370.jpeg

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

Hi all, I can’t be the only California owner (ours is a T4 so maybe not an issue on later vans?) who wishes there was an option to be able to sit up in bed and drink tea/read a book or lounge in the day without having to lie down? Ideally a fold down ‘headboard’ where the overhead cabinet is, would be ideal. This would allow you to sit up facing forwards before reclining fully to sleep. Has anyone done this kind of mod? Description/photos of possible solutions would be much appreciated. Steve
By way of an update we have now tried both the fabric folding beach chair ( no support really and probably only for smaller/lighter folk), and the bigger metal frame back rest (too wide and generally too big and cumbersome) but have now found something in between, see photo. We are testing it out this weekend and I’ll let you all know how it goes!

3F18C68B-6856-4457-A83A-0A48C9BB7327.jpeg

By way of an update we have now tried both the fabric folding beach chair ( no support really and probably only for smaller/lighter folk), and the bigger metal frame back rest (too wide and generally too big and cumbersome) but have now found something in between, see photo. We are testing it out this weekend and I’ll let you all know how it goes!

View attachment 94730
Here it is on trial and I’m very comfy!

ACDD4208-9A7B-4F02-97AE-4A9B73C7026B.jpeg

Hi Penny,
"What goes where?"
A couple more pictures here showing the M6 bolt going through the tube, the strut and the wing nut threaded on the other side. Same on each strut.
The M20 Nuts are used to hand tighten the struts onto the bed frame when it's in the upright position, one for each side of the frame/strut. (sorry no pictures of that).
I'm afraid the quantities on the Westfieldfasteners order are somewhat misleading as these were the minimum orders for each item.
Making sense? Please feel free to drop me a private message and I can contact you directly if you have any further questions.

View attachment 94648

View attachment 94649

View attachment 94650
I just got this. You are such a lovely human. Thank you. We will try it all out tomorrow at our campsite in France. Sending you lots of good vibes!

View attachment 94730

We have just ordered a sunnylife travel ‘chair’ for the garden which looks like it will do a similar job. As well as doubling up as a ‘pillow’.

We have a beach 3 seater arriving later this summer. Will give it a go when our camper arrives.

B7A17C14-DE19-4D02-BC1C-72B7FEF8D222.jpeg

F98BB3B3-15BE-450D-87B9-9BA16DD48EB6.jpeg

Back