Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2008 SE Rear seat/bed won't latch back to the rails

steve_b

steve_b

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all, I hope someone can help.

I bought a 2008 SE today privately. I had a local VW chap give it the once over so have a list of 40 "faults" of varying degrees of interest, however one is perplexing me.

The rear seat/bed when you pull the level to move it the handle kind of sticks out and won't go back, so the bed moves but won't latch back to the rails. Eventually after a lot of bashing and cursing it will kind of click and although the handle doesn't go completely flush the bed seems to be secure (although you can rock the bed back and forwards a bit which seems odd). I am not keen on being in an accident and finding the hard way that the bed is not locked to the rails...

Has anyone seen this before and do you have any suggestions to diagnose or fix it?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Hi all, I hope someone can help.

I bought a 2008 SE today privately. I had a local VW chap give it the once over so have a list of 40 "faults" of varying degrees of interest, however one is perplexing me.

The rear seat/bed when you pull the level to move it the handle kind of sticks out and won't go back, so the bed moves but won't latch back to the rails. Eventually after a lot of bashing and cursing it will kind of click and although the handle doesn't go completely flush the bed seems to be secure (although you can rock the bed back and forwards a bit which seems odd). I am not keen on being in an accident and finding the hard way that the bed is not locked to the rails...

Has anyone seen this before and do you have any suggestions to diagnose or fix it?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Steve
1. Check that the Seat has not twisted in the rails slightly. Push or Pull on the side nearest the door forwards or backwards.
2. Failing the above then remove the seat. Remove the rail end pieces. They lever out. Remove the STOP in the rail nearest the Kitchen unit. Find it with a screw driver slid up and down the rail. Loosen screw and slide stop forward to rail end and remove. Then slide seat forwards end and lift up and out. Definitely 2 man job. Check the locking mechanism moves freely. Clean out rails and re-insert seat etc:.

It sounds as if the seat is not running at the correct angle to engage both seat locks properly.

So I have a short update - I spoke to the previous owner yesterday who explained the knack of getting the seat to lock - probably a good job that I did as the previous attempts I had made I knew didn't feel right where the seat could be rocked back and forth after it was "locked".

She explained that the trick was to lift the release handle high up, put your fingers in and there is a moving metal plate inside that you push backwards. I tried that late last night and it was exactly as she said - it felt like pushing on a hinge of a scissor mechanism sideways, which drives a bolt down and moved really easily and locked the bench solidly to the rails - no rocking.

My guess is that there is a broken spring or cable or something inside which needs looking at - I will try and report back with pictures when I get the chance to take it apart. I am guessing access to the mechanism is from the underside.

Think inside it's a cable system and there could be something wrong.
Aslo one needs to be sitting in the seat while moving it otherwise it's very difficult to move it .

So I have a short update - I spoke to the previous owner yesterday who explained the knack of getting the seat to lock - probably a good job that I did as the previous attempts I had made I knew didn't feel right where the seat could be rocked back and forth after it was "locked".

She explained that the trick was to lift the release handle high up, put your fingers in and there is a moving metal plate inside that you push backwards. I tried that late last night and it was exactly as she said - it felt like pushing on a hinge of a scissor mechanism sideways, which drives a bolt down and moved really easily and locked the bench solidly to the rails - no rocking.

My guess is that there is a broken spring or cable or something inside which needs looking at - I will try and report back with pictures when I get the chance to take it apart. I am guessing access to the mechanism is from the underside.
AS you seem to be handy with the spanners then this site might be useful.

Click on " Campmobile " and then select Year.

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 07.54.23.jpg

Ta. There are no problems with unlatching or moving the actual bench, just in latching it so that the bench locks in place - and the rail stoppers seem to have been long gone as I can move the bench the whole length of the cab :)

That's a useful exploded diagram. Assuming it's also good for a 2008 SE (I can't find an exploded bench on the 2008 model website page) then there's an interesting looking item as what appears to be a spring loaded rocker on section 26 - that could be what I am manipulating with my fingers. It's behaving as if a spring should be doing that job that my fingers do, so maybe it's endoscope time.

I will report back. Thanks

There are a lot of moving parts / linkages inside the metal sides of the seat base.
If you look inside the drawer there are 2 screws that hold the drawer to the sliders.
Removing these with the drawer fully open then allows you to lift the front of the drawer & pull forwards to remove it.
Once the drawer is out you can remove the sliders.
The plate to which the sliders are attached can then be removed exposing the mechanism inside and you should be able to see exactly what is going on / not working.
It can be done with the seat in situ but quite tricky / awkward access.

You can however tip the whole seat backwards inside the van to make access easier.
To do this you have to remove the short front section of the silver aluminium rail covers, plastic end piece pops out 1st then the silver bits can be removed.
You should then be able to see some gaps in the rails underneath
Slide the seat right forwards so that the "feet" align with the gaps in the rails then tip the seat backwards taking care not to damage the rails behind the seat as you tip it back (i put some old bit of MDF down as protection)
You now have better access to remove the metal plates & gain access to the mechanism.
The seat is VERY heavy so would advise having someone to help even just to tip it backwards.
Happy to post some pics if you fancy having a go.

Great, I get the idea, think I saw pics of a tipped back seat on an old thread. Knowing what to remove the access the mechanism is priceless information though. Thanks

So, a small update. I have knackered my back carrying a single seat about (it may not have been entirely free of the rails when I tried to lift it and something had to give. It was me.) but I have a healthy respect for just how heavy the bench must be at least.

Lifting the release handle I have this picture. The piece that needs pushing back to lock the seat is the elbow arm that is prominent - the flash make the clip look white :).

You can see attached to this arm is a spring, and the other end of the spring appears to be flapping in the wind so my assumption is that the spring pulls the arm back in when the lever is released - and it is failing to do so.

IMG_20200127_172518527.jpg

I'll put that on the "rainy day" pile when my back is better...

When you remove the tool box on the rear of the seat , ascces from the booth , and pull out the drawer , you might see more of the hidden mecanism.
Flashlight might help.

Well done guys. This is a brilliant example of this forum. Genuine help with lots of experience.

So, today's update. I might write another "how to" with full details and pics but I have managed this on my own with the rear bench in situ , it's not that bad to access as long as you don't mind crawling inside under the bench after you take the drawer out however there are a few traps on the way.

The problem is a broken spring anyhow - the one shown lying horizontally should attach to the top rail to pull the mechanism back up when you open it. Now to try and locate a similar spring !

spring.jpg

IMG-20200131-WA0000.jpeg

So, today's update. I might write another "how to" with full details and pics but I have managed this on my own with the rear bench in situ , it's not that bad to access as long as you don't mind crawling inside under the bench after you take the drawer out however there are a few traps on the way.

The problem is a broken spring anyhow - the one shown lying horizontally should attach to the top rail to pull the mechanism back up when you open it. Now to try and locate a similar spring !

View attachment 54793

View attachment 54794
Just bend the old one with pliers or a vice to form a hook :)

Springs by nature are quite high tensile and when trying to bend, will probably end up snapping again... :(

You could heat, bend, re harden but you'd lose the correct tension and for the sake of £5...

Springs by nature are quite high tensile and when trying to bend, will probably end up snapping again... :(

You could heat, bend, re harden but you'd lose the correct tension and for the sake of £5...
True but worth a go in an emergency ;)

lol. I did try and bend a new hook but the spring is pretty tough and I didn't think that it would last and it was a devil of a job to get to so I would rather do it once :)

It works without the spring if you use you fingers to manually push the pivot so I will live with it like that until I can find something that will last.

Back