Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID. BUZZ is too heavy for a California version.

I agree.

Since, for most buyers, the main intended purpose of purchasing an ID Buzz California would likely be to use it for touring and camping, then that experience alone is highly likely to leave them dissapointed. That will no doubt have a knock on effect on future sales figures and resale values.

As you say, how many camp sites are likely to want to make the sort of investment necessary to support EV charging across their site and even if they do, at what price to the consumer? I suspect that many campsites will instead insist on: NO EV CHARGING ON SITE.

Reduced range and payload coupled with lack of proper EV charging facilities on route or on site, does not make an EV camper van a very attractive proposition, at least in the short to medium term.
I was at a campsite a few week ago and on the paperwork given on entry it said you can’t charge EVs on site using the hook up.

We aren’t too far away from EV penetration making Smart Grids feasible. This creates a virtuous circle as the issue with most renewables is energy storage so we can access electricity when it’s needed and not limited to when it’s produces ie when the sun shines or wind blows.

Whether there is the investment appetite or regulatory competence to make it a reality (in the UK at least) is an entirely different matter!
This is a very optimistic look at the current situation, imho. Whilst I do agree that the needed technologies are there (It can be done) and feasible, I don’t agree that that they “aren’t too far away”. The “smart grid” is a big promise for the future. Up till now there have been experimental smart grids in some cities, with more or less success, and there many plans and projects, but most are very small scale. Large scale implementation is hampered by lack of funding ( it’s hugely expensive to make a smart grid, because the current infrastructure needs to be replaced and expanded), concerns over privacy, government influence regarding energy use and accounting ( who’s paying what for energy at given moment to whom?) So imho there is still a very long way to go…

Why is Europe so hell bent on Zero CO2 by 2050 when the USA, China, Russia and other countries are disinterested.
They build EV vehicles for export to us using non-green technology so we can reach our goals while they produce the CO2 that is affecting the planet on our behalf.
The UK and Europe bang on about leading the way, the problem is that no one is following, they are just making hay while the sun shines.
All these eco warriors would have more effect if they took on the major players such as China, Russia and USA, but of course they wouldn't just get a cup of tea and a slap on the wrist if they did that in Bejing.

For us, changing our California to an electric version just makes no sense right now.
Not only would we not be able to reach half the majority of destinations, but from an environmental perspective, it's just meritless (touched on in our latest video).

Electric cars have such a high carbon footprint from their batteries and production that right now, keeping our T6 Cali is the more eco option. Even if we did switch, we'd be charging an ID buzz or electric equivalent up with mains power; which isn't all entirely green either.

Until electric vehicle manufacturing is more sustainable as well as the charging network via green energy, it's hard to justify a switch; even with an eco head on.

Van chassis and diesel engine, it’s a winning formula. Trying to base a camper on a car platform will never work.
As @Ch1pbutty said, EV car for the running around town stuff and a van type vehicle for the longer heavy duty activities.

It’s easy to see why we need to rid diesels to a point. After a recent trip to France, their town and city air pollution seems terrible.
Mostly, because everyone drives crappy little Peugeot and Renault diesels over small distances.
This is what needs eliminating…!!!
The problem for VAG is they don’t have a 2 litre diesel hybrid which could be compelling for the Cali. Battery for campsite/zero emission zones, diesel for long range motorway cruising. Instead the 1.4 petrol hybrid eats petrol as a small car. I cannot imagine driving a camper on a highly stressed 1.4 litre petrol engine across Europe or the cost of fuel. So the next logical Cali is a Multivan with straight diesel. Not the leap into the future we imagined. The only upgrade I see worth it is the Harman Kardmon sound system!

This is a very optimistic look at the current situation, imho. Whilst I do agree that the needed technologies are there (It can be done) and feasible, I don’t agree that that they “aren’t too far away”. The “smart grid” is a big promise for the future. Up till now there have been experimental smart grids in some cities, with more or less success, and there many plans and projects, but most are very small scale. Large scale implementation is hampered by lack of funding ( it’s hugely expensive to make a smart grid, because the current infrastructure needs to be replaced and expanded), concerns over privacy, government influence regarding energy use and accounting ( who’s paying what for energy at given moment to whom?) So imho there is still a very long way to go…

I agree, I think we are getting close enough to make it feasible but that’s very different from making it likely anytime soon. The deregulated energy market in the UK is another huge barrier as well as the investment as you point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the so called EV revolution isn't stalling now, then it's my opinion that it almost certainly will in UK in due course, for the following reason alone:

There are already rumours of electricity shortages next winter. If that were to happen, what would any sensible government do? ....and that assumes that we have one. I suggest that they would likely prioritise/limit consumption as they did in the 1970s by imposing restrictions on usage or even black outs. Far fetched? possibly. However, what long term plan actually exists to meet any future short falls in generating capacity? I confess that I don't know the answer, however I suspect that if such a plan does exist then it won't be sufficient to meet our needs or be available to cope anytime soon i.e in the next decade.

We in the UK don't seem to be terribly good at forward planning with respect to meeting either future energy peaks or long term rising demand. One example was the cancelling of the bulk natural gas storage facility that was being built. I know there's lots of talk but how many new power stations are actually being built to replace those being decommissioned? And of those that are, when will they actually start generating?

The only upgrade I see worth it is the Harman Kardmon sound system!
If it’s anything like the B&O I had in my Audi S4 or the Bose in the previous A4 then it’s not an upgrade. They sucked.

If it’s anything like the B&O I had in my Audi S4 or the Bose in the previous A4 then it’s not an upgrade. They sucked.

The Karman Hardon in my BMW is pretty good…

"VW Denies Rumor That ID. Buzz Camper Van Too Heavy For Standard Driving License"

So they are pushing the issue onto the authorities, by asking that they increase the weight on the driving licence up from 3.5t

Government will probably say yes as will see it a money making opportunity. Ie - will introduce a new test to allow you to drive the increased weight.

….but in the UK there has been a shortage of driving instructors / test slots since Covid.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
So they are pushing the issue onto the authorities, by asking that they increase the weight on the driving licence up from 3.5t

Government will probably say yes as will see it a money making opportunity. Ie - will introduce a new test to allow you to drive the increased weight.

….but in the UK there has been a shortage of driving instructors / test slots since Covid.
:Iamsorry but I Disagree. Every EV vehicle is heavier than its IC powered equivilent. Governments are mandating that we all drive EVs so why should the public be restricted in their choice of vehicles.
In fact EVs have different driving characteristics to IC vehicles and there is an argument to be had that you should take lessons and past a test before driving an EV. That's never going to happen so I see no problem in the weight limit being raised by 10%, after all there have been massive increases in vehicle safety since the original driving test was introduced.

:Iamsorry but I Disagree. Every EV vehicle is heavier than its IC powered equivilent. Governments are mandating that we all drive EVs so why should the public be restricted in their choice of vehicles.
In fact EVs have different driving characteristics to IC vehicles and there is an argument to be had that you should take lessons and past a test before driving an EV. That's never going to happen so I see no problem in the weight limit being raised by 10%, after all there have been massive increases in vehicle safety since the original driving test was introduced.
Different to drive from an ICE car but far easier so not sure why there would need to be a test for them. It’s no different from driving automatics on a manual license.

Different to drive from an ICE car but far easier so not sure why there would need to be a test for them. It’s no different from driving automatics on a manual license.
In that case no problem increasing the weight limit by 10% for the standard licence.

Agree that there shouldn’t be a need to charge extra to increase the weight restriction on your license…but the government need to raise funds/taxes somehow, so can see a short ‘uprated license’ course, where you drive round a carpark, pay a hefty fee & pass.

Back