Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ideas for this weekend in Switzerland?

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hey all

This weekend we’d like to go somewhere in the van, but not a campsite this time.

Anyone know some hidden gems you can recommend?

Something around 1 hour drive from Zurich is ok, but more if it’s worth it.

Cheers
Dan

Happy to help if I can! Here's my tips:

Eigenthal, Switzerland - Gorgeous spot behind Pilatus, toilets and water available. Cost 5 Chf for 24 hours. Really nice spot for hiking along a nice stream in the forest up Pilatus. Also a great mountain restaurant 2km's up from the parking area that can only be reached by foot. There are BBQ areas with free firewood as well.

Furka pass (Albert-Heim-Hütte) - This is a nice gravel road above the Furka pass into the Alpine farming lands. The views are spectacular! There is a parking meter at the bottom and you pay 10 Chf for 24 hours. One of my favorite secret spots that I love to go to!

Happy to help if I can! Here's my tips:

Eigenthal, Switzerland - Gorgeous spot behind Pilatus, toilets and water available. Cost 5 Chf for 24 hours. Really nice spot for hiking along a nice stream in the forest up Pilatus. Also a great mountain restaurant 2km's up from the parking area that can only be reached by foot. There are BBQ areas with free firewood as well.

Furka pass (Albert-Heim-Hütte) - This is a nice gravel road above the Furka pass into the Alpine farming lands. The views are spectacular! There is a parking meter at the bottom and you pay 10 Chf for 24 hours. One of my favorite secret spots that I love to go to!
Fantastic! Thank you @Webbah_in_Switzerland

Flums is nice and easy to get to. I discovered a parking place where there's no overnight parking restrictions here:

Only been there once, but there were other campers, and local farmers seem to turn a blind eye to them. No facilities though, and no fires allowed at the moment

@Webbah_in_Switzerland in Furka, do you mean here?

I might head down towards Furka before the snow makes an appearance and makes it impossible.

Flums is nice and easy to get to. I discovered a parking place where there's no overnight parking restrictions here:

Only been there once, but there were other campers, and local farmers seem to turn a blind eye to them. No facilities though, and no fires allowed at the moment

I might head down towards Furka before the snow makes an appearance and makes it impossible.

That’s the one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! For the Furka place, I’m always turning left, so to speak, going towards Disentis / Flims, there is a cool spot at the top there which is also in my mind, but would be nice to go somewhere new.

Here it is for y’all, 5 CHF for the night!

Dropped pin

Flumserberg is a personal favourite for the family, do you know if you can park overnight at the top next to the ski lifts? I can’t remember

Great! For the Furka place, I’m always turning left, so to speak, going towards Disentis / Flims, there is a cool spot at the top there which is also in my mind, but would be nice to go somewhere new.

Here it is for y’all:

Code:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Uf1zj5EDSBy74fhw8?g_st=ic

Flumserberg is a personal favourite for the family, do you know if you can park overnight at the top next to the ski lifts? I can’t remember

I’d check the Park4Night app. I use that all the time to find places nearby.

I’d check the Park4Night app. I use that all the time to find places nearby.

I do have it, but there’s some real rubbish on there which I’d say is only for emergencies rather than a great place to go, I’ve lost too many days on that in the past

I do have it, but there’s some real rubbish on there which I’d say is only for emergencies rather than a great place to go, I’ve lost too many days on that in the past
I use filters for ratings and it works out well for me, but I do agree you need to filter out the bad ones. I hate clutter too so only showing highly rated spots is much better!

For the real wild camping I use an app called WikiLoc and the offroading preset. It's the same story here though, you need to filter and view only highly rated locations. I then typically read the reviews and check the photos.

You can't park at the top. All parking places have signs saying no parking overnight (I think they write something like no parking between 2am and 6am or something similar)

That’s the one
I've been there with the mountain bike (pre Cali days) while out in the area. There were quite a few vans, and not sure I'd want to go there with a 2wd if it was wet. But it's in my list
So at the top of Oberalp. Does it not get busy there, with traffic going past and making noise? specially motorbikes?

In there area there's the Luk Manier as well. This one is in park4night:

But on the road up there from Disentis there's a few spots I didn't see in park4night, so perhaps less busy. I didn't stop there, was also going past with the mtb. But being a bit lower down it will be sheltered from the wind, and not quite as cold at night

I use filters for ratings and it works out well for me, but I do agree you need to filter out the bad ones. I hate clutter too so only showing highly rated spots is much better!

For the real wild camping I use an app called WikiLoc and the offroading preset. It's the same story here though, you need to filter and view only highly rated locations. I then typically read the reviews and check the photos.
I’m too tight to pay for the premium version!

WikiLoc, haven’t heard of that one, I’ll download.

And to share my recent favourite find, www.landcamp.ch for little farm stays, been great so far.

I’m too tight to pay for the premium version!

WikiLoc, haven’t heard of that one, I’ll download.

And to share my recent favourite find, www.landcamp.ch for little farm stays, been great so far.

Premium is worth it for me. I “work from van” daily using my van as a mobile office as I can work remote. It’s also helped me find places I would have never found otherwise. But each person has unique use cases!

I've been there with the mountain bike (pre Cali days) while out in the area. There were quite a few vans, and not sure I'd want to go there with a 2wd if it was wet. But it's in my list

So at the top of Oberalp. Does it not get busy there, with traffic going past and making noise? specially motorbikes?

In there area there's the Luk Manier as well. This one is in park4night:

But on the road up there from Disentis there's a few spots I didn't see in park4night, so perhaps less busy. I didn't stop there, was also going past with the mtb. But being a bit lower down it will be sheltered from the wind, and not quite as cold at night
It’s a bit noisy at the top, I know where you mean for the spots on the way up, I’d imagine they are also quite loud, but what a view!

Here’s a pic I took a few weeks ago on the rhinequelle walk, just a few minutes and looking over where we are talking about:

3A9CD6C0-1520-4FB3-8DE4-0B55BAF70109.jpeg

3de685b8cf5759cc8ce338851e136f52.jpg

Today’s view working from Beckenreid.

In Baar next to Zug, at the parking of the Hoehlgrottw, never been there, just got a picture if a friend there

Evening all

Last weekend didn’t work out, but this weekend we’re away.

Started with a farm stay last night which ended pretty quick when my wife saw the suspicious brown water needed to walk through to get the toilet, with the hand basin next to the cows, sent us back to the van and moving on to somewhere else.

The pros and cons of farm stays…

But then today found a beauty in the little village of Bumbach (Bern region), where a friendly farmer has set up 4 parking places on his Apple farm.

2C0EB59C-7341-41A6-B122-018F3DD40A8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Evening all

Last weekend didn’t work out, but this weekend we’re away.

Started with a farm stay last night which ended pretty quick when my wife saw the suspicious brown water needed to walk through to get the toilet, with the hand basin next to the cows, sent us back to the van and moving on to somewhere else.

The pros and cons of farm stays…

But then today found a beauty in the little village of Bumbach (Bern region), where a friendly farmer has set up 4 parking places on his Apple farm.

View attachment 99088
Looks nice! As we have a holiday in Zurich on Monday I decided to head down to Sion and stayed at TCS Camping Sion the last 2 nights. Will stay at the top of the Furka tonight on the way back to Luzern. Enjoy the weekend!

Looks nice! As we have a holiday in Zurich on Monday I decided to head down to Sion and stayed at TCS Camping Sion the last 2 nights. Will stay at the top of the Furka tonight on the way back to Luzern. Enjoy the weekend!

Yeah worked out well, I’ll be writing a good review on Park4night.

Enjoy Sion, let us know how the TCS is there

Back