Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ideas for warm nights?

ggbrokoliggcggc

ggbrokoliggcggc

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi!

we finally got our van end of last year and we have already done 4k on it, but still havent slept a single night. Weather has been a bit too cold around Europe. We cannot wait for the weather to heat up so we just want to go.

We have proper sleeping bags but I was wondering if we were in a camping and plugged to the main grid if we could run a small heater just for few minutes here and there? Cant really tell if this is a horrible idea or just a normal thing...

Thanks for the patience with the newbie questions!

Absolutely! We run a small Kampa quartz heater (called a Diddy) which has ample power, and a fall over cutout. Club shop. You ideally plug it in to the van via a thermostat (freely available).

I'm always cold. I hate the cold.

I slept in the van (downstairs bed) with the roof up all night, at -5 degrees celcius and the diesel heater set to 3 (out of 10). Incredibly cosy, no problem what so ever. Snug as a bug.

Turn on the diesel heater, go to bed and you will be just fine. Turn it higher then 5 and I bet you'll be sweating in your sleeping bag/blanket. Close the roof, set it to 10 and you'll have yourself a sauna you will not survive.

I slept in the van (downstairs bed) with the roof up all night, at -5 degrees celcius and the diesel heater set to 3 (out of 10). Incredibly cosy, no problem what so ever. Snug as a bug.

Turn on the diesel heater, go to bed and you will be just fine. Turn it higher then 5 and I bet you'll be sweating in your sleeping bag/blanket. Close the roof, set it to 10 and you'll have yourself a sauna you will not survive.
OP doesn't say what Cali he has, but its possible it wasn't spec'ed with a diesel heater.

yeah we have no diesel heater, we are on a 6.1 edition beach, which is beaaaautiful haha

Hi!

we finally got our van end of last year and we have already done 4k on it, but still havent slept a single night. Weather has been a bit too cold around Europe. We cannot wait for the weather to heat up so we just want to go.

We have proper sleeping bags but I was wondering if we were in a camping and plugged to the main grid if we could run a small heater just for few minutes here and there? Cant really tell if this is a horrible idea or just a normal thing...

Thanks for the patience with the newbie questions!
I bought a small 600/1200W fan heater from Lidl recently. I did use the diesel heater previously which was effective but upset my tent camping neighbours "It sounds like a jet engine..." Their snoring reminded me of the cappuccino machine in my local Costa but I digress...

In my experience you only need a few hundred watts to heat the van and a heater with a thermostat is a must in my opinion.

If you have mains hookup you may as well use that instead of your diesel. Bear in mind that some campsites only have 5 or 6amp hookups - plug a 3kw heater in to that and you will make yourself unpopular.

Back