Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

keeping warm in a Beach this Easter!

J

John Rawlings

VIP Member
Hi,

We're off to Devon for Easter in a Cali Beach. It's our first time using a Beach for more than one night, and as it doesn't have the optional auxillary heating, we're a bit worried about how we're going to keep warm. Obviously we've got good sleeping bags, but it's freezing out there!!

Has anyone got any experience of portable heaters we could use in the evening or overnight?

The Beach doesn't have any mains electric - only lots of 12v sockets. I do have a mains lead we've used in a tent before, but getting it into the van will mean leaving a window open, which rather defeats the object of the exercise!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John

Hi John welcome.
The only suggestion I can make is get a little oil filled radiator and use your lead. You could buy
Some wind deflectors for the front windows allowing the cable in without having the window open too much so not letting in any wet if it rains. Failing that some good sleeping bags :thumb

Hi John welcome and good to have more beaches on the forum now :)
Your right your going to have something open to run a cable into the Cali ...
Maybe through the side slide window and tape up the gap ... That will work seal the gap then run a little oil rad or for quick heat in short bursts a little blower fan ...
Sleeping bags I don't use ,but a nice double or king duvet over the top will be snug ;-)

John Rawlings said:
Hi,

We're off to Devon for Easter in a Cali Beach. It's our first time using a Beach for more than one night, and as it doesn't have the optional auxillary heating, we're a bit worried about how we're going to keep warm. Obviously we've got good sleeping bags, but it's freezing out there!!

Has anyone got any experience of portable heaters we could use in the evening or overnight?

The Beach doesn't have any mains electric - only lots of 12v sockets. I do have a mains lead we've used in a tent before, but getting it into the van will mean leaving a window open, which rather defeats the object of the exercise!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John

If you have hook up - use a heater - we got a very simple one out of B&Q, it was about £30.

Leaving a window ajar is actually quite nice, it keeps the van fresh and trust me, the heater will keep you warm. We normally place it on top of something on the seat or on the floor between the seats.

We camped like this for three nights in the lakes. You'll want a thermostat heater which switches on and off as needed when it reaches required temp.

Without hookup - I'll leave that to others, we don't camp out of season and tend to stick to hook up only sites.

If you've got the extra sliding window on the door, that's probably a good place to run the cable, if not, just through the top of either the drivers or passenger window works fine.

The one we purchased appears to no longer exist but it was something like this.

http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/product.php? ... tAodJTUADA

James

We Cali-camped in Snowdonia in Feb - the temp was about freezing and blowing a gale.

We've all got nice down sleeping bags so no problem sleeping.

I guess the main concern is whilst you're sitting around in the evening - either need a heater or a quilted jacket.

If you want to leave a window open a bit to allow a cable through, you could use a length of foam pipe insulation (the stuff with a slit along its length), slot that over the top of the window and cut a small slot somewhere along its length to pass the cable through. You should be able to then close the window to the point that the foam meets the top seal, therefore sealing the gap. Trid this on a T25 and it worked ok. Just a thought.

Cheers, j

We've never found a prob with the window slightly open, the power of the heater will more than compensate for this, plus, if you are sleeping at the back of the van and the heater is at the front, you never feel the draft.

Plus, a bit of fresh air makes it feel less stuffy and there is no condensation in the morning. Obviously, parking heater is the best but it's fine with the window ajar and a a heater in the van.

James

Jcali said:
If you want to leave a window open a bit to allow a cable through, you could use a length of foam pipe insulation (the stuff with a slit along its length), slot that over the top of the window and cut a small slot somewhere along its length to pass the cable through. You should be able to then close the window to the point that the foam meets the top seal, therefore sealing the gap. Trid this on a T25 and it worked ok. Just a thought.

Cheers, j
Good thinking. Plus another opportunity for cali-shopping.

You won't need foam, why spend money on more things you don't need.

Trust me - it will be warm in the van.

It's a thermostat heater, hits a certain temp, goes off, comes on if it drops, does not matter what the temp is outside.

James

James said:
You won't need foam, why spend money on more things you don't need.

Trust me - it will be warm in the van.

It's a thermostat heater, hits a certain temp, goes off, comes on if it drops, does not matter what the temp is outside.

James

Really depends on how cold it is. We've camped with snow on the ground, oil filled heater on full, pucer screen installed up top and still been v cold. In such a situation, a cold draught can just make things worse. But hey ho, my westy probably isn't quite up to Cali insulation standards! I do agree that some fresh air makes things more pleasant in most situations though.

Cheers, J

best way to keep warm this easter weekend is to park your cali outside a nice warm B&B or hotel and wait for the summer.

I think I have come up with a solution for the mains hook connection up on my Beach as I do not like putting the cable through the window. I have just got the parts etc and waiting for my electrician to come.
The socket unit fits to the L/H end plate on the Westphalia tow bar cross member section and the cable will go in to van via L/H lamp area. ( not sure if same could be ok with other makes of towbar or on to the bumper inner steel member ) The 13 amp RCB socket will go in to the panel just below and to the rear of the tool compartment. I will take some pictures when it is installed and pass them on if anyone is planning to do the same.
I did contemplate fitting the full cali one on the rear side panel but dreaded the thought of "cutting" in to my Beach bodywork.
Any comments on this would be very welcome.

Any info on how you installed the hook up would be great :thumb Its on the list of things to do :oops: I really don't want to just hand my beach over to a stranger to do the work without know how they are doing it first ! :crazy

I assume you will be charging your L battery off the hook up ? Any more details on plan ect ?

Jim

Back