Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inner Hebrides

M

MrsW

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, after a fab Outer Hebrides trip last year we’re now looking at our next trip. Has anyone worked their way through some of the Inner Hebrides islands and willing to share their highlights/route/tips etc……?

I am sure someone will be on here to share their experience on actually having done the trip.

I have only planned it ... and yet to do. Not planned stays, but where no vehicles allowed, there are a few Inn options. The planned route for my trip is:
  1. Via Glencoe, get to Corran and take the ferry across to the Inner Hebrides to the Inn at Ardgour
  2. Drive down to Lochaline and take the Fishnish-Lochaline Ferry to the Isle of Mull.
  3. Drive around the Isle of Mull and then take the same ferry route back to Lochaline.
  4. Drive up to Mallaig around Loch Sunart
  5. From Mallaig -
    1. Take the boat to Isle of Eigg - no vehicles allowed I think from Isle of Eigg, take the boat to Isle of Muck (again no vehicles I think) ... and then return to Mallaig by the same route.
    2. again from Mallaig, take the boat out to Rum and Isle of Canna (no vehicles again I think)
    3. Take the Ferry from Mallaig to Armadale and tour the Isle of Skye. Along the way, there is a Raasay-Scinser boat (no vehicles again I think).
  6. and then back to mainland over the A87 Skye Bridge.

Lots of gaps in this plan as of now, but much doable.

I am sure someone will be on here to share their experience on actually having done the trip.

I have only planned it ... and yet to do. Not planned stays, but where no vehicles allowed, there are a few Inn options. The planned route for my trip is:
  1. Via Glencoe, get to Corran and take the ferry across to the Inner Hebrides to the Inn at Ardgour
  2. Drive down to Lochaline and take the Fishnish-Lochaline Ferry to the Isle of Mull.
  3. Drive around the Isle of Mull and then take the same ferry route back to Lochaline.
  4. Drive up to Mallaig around Loch Sunart
  5. From Mallaig -
    1. Take the boat to Isle of Eigg - no vehicles allowed I think from Isle of Eigg, take the boat to Isle of Muck (again no vehicles I think) ... and then return to Mallaig by the same route.
    2. again from Mallaig, take the boat out to Rum and Isle of Canna (no vehicles again I think)
    3. Take the Ferry from Mallaig to Armadale and tour the Isle of Skye. Along the way, there is a Raasay-Scinser boat (no vehicles again I think).
  6. and then back to mainland over the A87 Skye Bridge.

Lots of gaps in this plan as of now, but much doable.
Great - thx. Have done Skye so thinking to add Arran and Islay.

A nice variation on 3/4 above would be to return to the mainland from Mull via the Tobermory - Kilchoan ferry, and then to Mallaig. The Ardnamurchan peninsular is well worth visiting. There’s also a foot ferry to Eigg and Muck from Arisaig. Oh, and allow plenty of time to enjoy Mull and drive at a sensible pace. With narrow roads, Mull miles seem longer than normal statute miles. If you make it down to the simple campsite at Fionnphort, take a day to go on the foot ferry to Iona and walk to the Abbey and beaches at the north end. Absolutely gorgeous places.

Kurienp‘s is good but misses out Oban and you don’t want to do that if you like fish and chips and seafood.
My suggestion is start off by crossing to Arran, which isn’t Hebridean, but is fantastic ( maybe I’m biased being from Ayrshire originally )
Hop over to Kintyre from Lochranza and on to Islay especially if you like peaty whisky. Oban for Mull, Road to the Isles from Fort William over to Skye. Great drive.
You can’t go wrong, it’s all good.
One important thing. Calmac ferries are in disarray and there won’t even be a summer timetable until sometime in January so hang fire for a bit.

Kurienp‘s is good but misses out Oban and you don’t want to do that if you like fish and chips and seafood.
My suggestion is start off by crossing to Arran, which isn’t Hebridean, but is fantastic ( maybe I’m biased being from Ayrshire originally )
Hop over to Kintyre from Lochranza and on to Islay especially if you like peaty whisky. Oban for Mull, Road to the Isles from Fort William over to Skye. Great drive.
You can’t go wrong, it’s all good.
One important thing. Calmac ferries are in disarray and there won’t even be a summer timetable until sometime in January so hang fire for a bit.
Thx - I’ve read the summer timetable isn’t due out until the end of January!

Thx - I’ve read the summer timetable isn’t due out until the end of January!
Timetable is sorted but cannot be published until Scottish government stop dragging their heels and agree on fares.

Timetable is sorted but cannot be published until Scottish government stop dragging their heels and agree on fares.
Just travel to Scotland - plan your route, enjoy the ferries, the islands and Highlands. There will be timetables - but use timetables from 2022 or indeed beyond then to give you an idea of times and costs, they wont be that far out if at all.

For a short trip (depending on where you are travelling from), taking in Mull and the Ardnamurchan peninsula:

1. Ferry Oban-Craignure (Mull)
Whilst on Mull, half day trip to Iona

2. Ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan
Explore Ardnamurchan peninsula - visit lighthouse

3. Drive from Ardnamurchan across to Glencoe. Nice 2 hour drive

Just be aware of the restrictions with Calmac about using the standby lanes. You need to book an exact crossing on a large number of routes, you cannot just turn up & join the standby queue:

Changes to motorhomes, campervans and caravans standby process

Following discussions with Transport Scotland and feedback from Stakeholder Groups, motorhomes, campervans and those vehicles towing a caravan will not be able to join standby queues at ports on the following routes:

Ardrossan - Brodick

Ardrossan - Campbeltown (seasonal)

Kennacraig - Islay - Colonsay 

Oban - Colonsay 

Oban - Coll - Tiree 

Oban - Lismore 

Oban - Craignure

Oban - Castlebay

Mallaig - Armadale 

Mallaig - Lochboisdale - Oban

Uig - Tarbert (Harris) - Lochmaddy 

Ullapool - Stornoway 

Berneray - Leverburgh (Sound of Harris)

Ardmhor - Eriskay (Sound of Barra)

To travel on the next available sailing on these routes, motorhomes, campervans and caravans will need to have a confirmed space and will be unable to wait in the standby queues.

Hi, after a fab Outer Hebrides trip last year we’re now looking at our next trip. Has anyone worked their way through some of the Inner Hebrides islands and willing to share their highlights/route/tips etc……?
Like you we did the Outer Hebrides last year. In April this year we did some of the Inner Hebridean islands. In summary our trip was:-
Isle of Arran. Ferry from Ardrossan. Stayed at Auchrannie in Brodick. Good location for walking including Glen Rosa and Goat Fell.
Onto the Kintyre Peninsula via the Lochranza ferry. Visited Cambletown and overnighted at Tarbet. From there to Mull via the Oban ferry. Camped at Fionnphort and day tripped to Iona. Moved onto Salen Bay campsite via Tobermory. Left Mull via the Fishnish ferry and drove to Fort William. Stayed at the Glen Nevis campsite. Good location for walks (including Ben Nevis) and cycling. 2 week trip.

Edit. The Lochranza and Fishnish ferries are ‘turn up and go’. The Ardrossan and Oban ferries most definitely need to be booked.

Last edited:
Like you we did the Outer Hebrides last year. In April this year we did some of the Inner Hebridean islands. In summary our trip was:-
Isle of Arran. Ferry from Ardrossan. Stayed at Auchrannie in Brodick. Good location for walking including Glen Rosa and Goat Fell.
Onto the Kintyre Peninsula via the Lochranza ferry. Visited Cambletown and overnighted at Tarbet. From there to Mull via the Oban ferry. Camped at Fionnphort and day tripped to Iona. Moved onto Salen Bay campsite via Tobermory. Left Mull via the Fishnish ferry and drove to Fort William. Stayed at the Glen Nevis campsite. Good location for walks (including Ben Nevis) and cycling. 2 week trip.

Edit. The Lochranza and Fishnish ferries are ‘turn up and go’. The Ardrossan and Oban ferries most definitely need to be booked.
Great info Thx