Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inspection service, holy moly

BenCar

BenCar

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My 2018 Ocean has gone to an independent garage for an inspection before our summer trips. Everything is coming up fine apart from they're saying "Leak from steering rack & slight knock can be heard and there is play on track rod, advise this is rectified before it gets worse." and quoting me £2400 to replace the entire steering rack and tie rods. Does this sound right or am I being played?
Thx
B

Unknown.jpeg

Crikey. When I did the same on my previous T5 Cali, I ordered the rack from Autodoc and my local mechanic fitted it. About £700 all in IIRC.

Are you losing power steering fluid?

Crikey. When I did the same on my previous T5 Cali, I ordered the rack from Autodoc and my local mechanic fitted it. About £700 all in IIRC.

Are you losing power steering fluid?
I dont know if Im losing power steering fluid as this is the first I've heard about an issue and I've not seen any decrease in fluid. The photo is supposed to show the leak. It doest seem that bad to me, certainly not £2.5k bad. Not sure my next steps or whether I can ignore it.

Get a reconditioned rack with a core deposit and have your mechnic install it ala Wheeler Dealers. Fraction of the cost and just as effective. No benefit getting a new apart from an extended warranty. So yes, they are pulling a fast one by not suggesting the cheaper alternative.

I dont know if Im losing power steering fluid as this is the first I've heard about an issue and I've not seen any decrease in fluid. The photo is supposed to show the leak. It doest seem that bad to me, certainly not £2.5k bad. Not sure my next steps or whether I can ignore it.

If it’s not an MOT fail, I’d just keep an eye on the power steering fluid level for now (carry some with you just in case). You’ll hear all sorts of groans and whines if the rack is knackered. Also seems too young for it to fail.

I looked at a recon rack but a new OEM one from Autodoc was the same price when all was said and done.

Automatic assume if you own a Cali/ Ocean T6 etc you are a soft touch
(Well it was a commercial van centre and they'd never seen a California there before so that did cross my mind).

Track rod is replaceable when play is excessive and approaches MOT fail. Trackrod end the same.
Keep an eye on the tyre for signs of uneven wear as thats the only effect of play prior to MOT fail.
Jack up van, remove undertray & the steering arm gaiter if its leaking fluid it would be filling the gaiter and need a rack to fix. However you may find your leak is on the hydraulic union and simply needs tightening or new washer / oring. Actual rack failure seems unlikely given low age.

Back