Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior lights, Rear Windscreen Wiper, Electric Sliding Door (Water Leak)

4motion

Hello,

I have a T5 2005 2.5 LHD 4 Motion
(Owned from new)

I have had various problems and fixes with the vehicle over the years but this current one I am quite stumped on.

Regularly I was having water leaking into the cab due to the roof drains being blocked up, although now I clean the drains quite regularly. (Air Hose etc) and normally don't have the problem.

However the Vehicle was left outside over the last Winter and after I returned to it, found it was soaked inside caused from a blocked drain above passenger door (RHS).

Upon checking all the electrics I found the following problems

INTERIOR LIGHTS
The two interior lights above the sliding door (Passenger/RHS) do not work. All the lights above kitchen work fine.
- Fuse checked (Same fuse for all interior lights (Under drivers seat)
- Bulbs checked
- Light housings swapped with Kitchen light housings, no difference.
- Took out Passenger (RHS) panel where seat belt is located
- Took out Cab roof above passenger door (RHS) Where water had leaked in from roof.
- Conclusion - Looked for a disconnect somewhere in the wring for these lights, but nothing found, no connectors found in roof lining.

ELECTRIC SLIDING DOOR
The Electric Sliding door does not work.
- This has been super reliable for years, but now I have disco lights flashing on and off on the 2 manual dashboard switches, and no electrical operation whatsoever.

REAR WINDSCREEN WIPER
The Rear windscreen wiper does not work.
- Checked fuse and it was blown, replaced fuse and constantly blows.
- Removed whole rear panel of the rear door, took out Wiper motor and checked it - all working fine on the bench.
- Fuse still blows with Wiper Motor disconnected.

Due to all these strange symptoms I was of the opinion that the water leak had maybe caused a wire connector/terminal to "short out" or go mouldy, or become disconnected.
I tried to trace the wiring in the roof lining where I believed the leak was and where I thought there may be a connector but I cannot find a single connection in or around the roof lining above the passenger door (RHS).

My main question to anyone here is, does anyone know where a wiring connector may be located that supplies these electrical devices, and the possibility of it getting wet from the roof leak?
Additionally I am open to all suggestions, I am mainly concentrating on the interior lights problem which may lead to solving the other problems.

(One point - The rear windscreen wiper may not have been working for some time before the leak as I rarely used it and may not be as a consequence of the water leak)

Thank you for any assistance you can give me!

Last edited:
The wiring diagram will give you connector locations.

Re rear wiper. I’m not sure if it’s CAN control or not as I don’t have the wiring diagram to hand.

Assuming it’s not, then access the stalk switch and find the loom connector at the switch end. Test from there to the fuse for earth fault then from there to the motor. For earth fault I’d start with continuity to chassis.

When I say continuity to chassis I mean with the loom section disconnected put one probe of your multimeter in the live terminal of one connector and the other probe to chassis (earth). Set meter to continuity and test. If it shows open circuit then there is no fault. If it rings then you know the earth fault is in that leg of the loom.
Repeat test between positive and negative terminals of the connector.
The fault may be between two wires as opposed to one wire and chassis.

Thanks for your help;

Re - Wiring diagram, Im struggling to locate a diagram that shows where the connectors are actually situated in the vehicle.
Are you aware of a 2005 wiring diagram that shows this (have looked in downloads and seems only late vehicles diagrams here, and they appear to be "interactive" diagrams possibly screenshot from VW, so the zoom function doesn't work etc.....

Re - Wiper - Yes whole heartedly agree as the next step for this fault.
I was kind of leaving this problem until last as its really not so critical to me as the Lights and Door. (And I may stumble across the fix while sorting the other problems)

What I'm really trying to find out is which part of the vehicle I should take apart next to try locate the cabling/connectors to see if thats where the water has affected or shorted to earth etc..

It’s deffo CAN control as no switch is shown after the fuse so forget testing from the stalk switch.

Well just a quick update.

Traced the interior light wire as follows

Took all the roof trim off, pillar trims out, the passenger seat out, the passenger seat frame around fuses out.
pulled back (very wet) carpet, and there is no joint/connector to be found in any pillars or under carpet before the wires disappear into/under the drivers seat.

So in summary didn't find anything...except dampness.

Ran out of time and hit bad weather, so put it all back together and will wait until a warmer day when I can strip it all out again and completely remove both seats and carpet..

Also I have a blown exhaust manifold which I needed to change before the coming weekend....too many jobs on the go so the wiring has to wait...(Given the choice I would rather be doing the wiring, removing the manifold is a b****....)

Thanks again for your help!

In order, my three worst nightmares,

Dentists
Musicals
Wet carpets in vehicles.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
When I had wet carpet from leak I lifted carpet from side it is wet on, wedged it up then sponged water out & put a dehumidifier in it for a week. Job done. Depending how wet you may or may not need to take carpet out. I'd use dehumidifier any way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back