Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior table repair/USB socket and WiFi mods

S

sj__hoare__77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

As a T6 owner, I've had the dreaded interior table hinge fail on me and not wanting to pay VW ~£450 for a new table decided to 3D print a replacement, which is fitted and has seen us through the summer season and,no doubt, many more to come.

Seeing others in such a predicament, I am wondering about offering a repair service in the same way I did mine. That's to take the old hinge and rivets off, glue and rivet the new printed part in, which is made from Nylon (strong as anything, solvent and temperature resistant), and reattach the leg.

I estimate the cost would be about £175 and return postage at cost. I'm in Surrey, near Guildford.

Before I do start doing this, I wondered if there would be much interest to make it worth doing and whether the price seems reasonable (in essence parts and labour, not cost price but pretty much)?

Do let me know.

I'm also separately installing WiFi and USB quick charge sockets to replace the kitchen 12v cigar socket, as I've done in ours, so equally any interest do let me know - although for those you have to bring the van to Surrey.

Cheers

Steve.

I suspect there would be a market but the price is not insignificant (not saying it isn’t fair as I don’t know how much work is involved and clearly it needs to be worth your while), so would need to be a high quality repair. Do you have any photos of the repair to show?

I think you could also have a market for DIY installations.

I suspect there would be a market but the price is not insignificant (not saying it isn’t fair as I don’t know how much work is involved and clearly it needs to be worth your while), so would need to be a high quality repair. Do you have any photos of the repair to show?

I think you could also have a market for DIY installations.
Yes, can take some pictures of my van, although I've changed the glue from a clear glue to a black glue which matches the nylon printed part. Unfortunately, someone had bodged a previous repair attempt so there's a few scuffs around the new part, which you wouldn't have on a fresh repair. I'll get these up later, plus some of a WiFi installation and USB install for good measure.

As you say, an alternative would be to sell a kit with instructions, for a lesser cost, which I could start on and get ready to ship by the Autumn - around the £100 mark.

Currently living it up in Southern France but as I work full time and this would become a pet project, I'd look to see if there's much interest before committing to anything.

Thanks for the comments though, keep them coming.

Steve.

Not the best quality, but USB Quick charge/Power delivery socket shown in place of kitchen 12v cigar socket, table repair and onboard WiFi.

PXL_20230819_102114922.jpg

PXL_20230819_102245155~2.jpg

PXL_20230819_102135676.jpg

Can you switch off the power to the usb socket otherwise it will constantly draw a small current from the leisure batteries even if nothing is plugged into it?
Yes, there's a tactile switch on the charger so you can turn it completely off. Also, you don't have to have the voltmeter option - can just have the power outlets...in this case 2 x Power delivery USB-Cs and 1 x Quick charge 3.0 USB A.

Back