Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent Light warning lamp (2018 T6 "LED" lights)

Kris Emery

Kris Emery

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I get an intermittent light warning lamp (orange bulb icon). Have checked all the lamps (including fogs) they all work. Warning light comes on (sometimes) when light switch on "headlight". Light switch is normally on Auto. Have popped the bonnet and check that the headlights cable plugs are seated OK. Any ideas?

Both number plate lights work?
Reversing lights.
When the light bulb goes on, stop directly, leave the engine running, and look at all the lights currently on. What do you see?
You didn't push in the light switch?
High beams?

Let someone with a VCDS or ODIS check what error code is in the BCM.

Yep we have done all that - my friendly mechanic at our local garage has checked them to0.

The issue I believe is in the headlight cluster. When I start the engine the warning light is not on. If I switch the to sidelights - no warning light - to dipped headlights then a warning light comes on - same with full beam.

With the switch on auto in daytime I can drive with no warning light - but when I go through a tunnel - the dipped headlights come on and sometimes the warning light comes on. (When the warning light comes on it stays on until the ignition is switched off.)

Is it possible that the dipped headlights have two levels - some tunnels are better lit than others and the lights adjust to this? I am probably getting fanciful here !

Anyhow Cali goes to VW next week so lets see what they find...

I think it is indeed better to let VW have a look, as it might be just something simple to resolve, but hard or impossible to find if you don't have the knowledge?

Is the van still under warranty? If so, no problem as they will cover it.

Yep we have done all that - my friendly mechanic at our local garage has checked them to0.

The issue I believe is in the headlight cluster. When I start the engine the warning light is not on. If I switch the to sidelights - no warning light - to dipped headlights then a warning light comes on - same with full beam.

With the switch on auto in daytime I can drive with no warning light - but when I go through a tunnel - the dipped headlights come on and sometimes the warning light comes on. (When the warning light comes on it stays on until the ignition is switched off.)

Is it possible that the dipped headlights have two levels - some tunnels are better lit than others and the lights adjust to this? I am probably getting fanciful here !

Anyhow Cali goes to VW next week so lets see what they find...
LED or Halogen bulbs?

I think it is indeed better to let VW have a look, as it might be just something simple to resolve, but hard or impossible to find if you don't have the knowledge?

Is the van still under warranty? If so, no problem as they will cover it.
Still under warranty ;-)

According to VW a software upgrade fixed it! Not convinced but lights are working and no warning lamps

So they have fixed it why are you not convinced

Software does things repeatedly. For it to decide that suddenly it wants to put up a warning lamp without an external stimulus is not possible. To my mind that means that an external input has changed/failed. Loose contact would be be more likely or, as has been suggested above, failure of a part of the LED cluster.

So why am I not happy? Well let's wait and when it recurs ...