Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Intermittent windscreen wiper fault

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys please can you advise on this annoying intermittent fault that keeps arising on my California 4motion 2008, when i switch the windscreen wipers on intermittant now and again the wiper blades will suddenly stop mid cycle ( and will not park to the nearside as usual) and no matter where I move the windscreen wiper switch ie on intermittant ( all timed settings ), quick wipe, speed 1 or speed 2 the wipers will not work at all, if i stop and park up and turn the engine off for a minute and start it up again everything works fine again???....sometimes ie today the wipers would run continuously when switched to the intermittent settings?? Any ideas would be much appreciated as could be very dangerous when on a motorway in driving rain...many thanks Janno

Sounds like a sticky timer relay? Sorry but not sure where it's located.

Hi it’s more than likely the earth return track in the wiper motor has had it if you can get a dish plug In you will have a fault for stop switch and need a new wiper motor. There are no timer separate relays anymore it is all built into the power supply control unit.

Hi Vw Guru, thanks for your reply, I managed to obtain a dash plug in a while back and it did actually record a fault at the time on the wiper motor, is it an easy diy replacement job?, if it is how do I get to it?, thank you in anticipation of your reply.....Janno

Yes they are simple enough to replace just remove the wiper arms secured by M8 nuts (you may have to remove the nuts and coat the spines in wd40 for a hour if the arms are seized on) then give the arms a good wiggle and they will come off then remove the plastic cover it’s cliped in like a tounge and grove idea to the windscreen I normally lift it at the windscreen passenger side with a plastic wedge. Once that is removed you will see the wiper motor and linkage, remove the three m6 securing bolts that hold the link soon and release the electrical connection to the motor the whole linkage and motor assembly will then come out. Clamp the linkage in a vice and with a screw driver leaver the linkage arm off the motor it’s just a pop of ball joint and pushes back on by hand. Then remove the second linkage arm followed by the three T30 torx bolts the motor will then separate from the linkage. Fit the new motor in place and refit all components but not the wiper arms switch the ignition on and push the wiper leaver up to max speed then down to stop, turn the ignition off and fit the wiper arms just above the black part of the windscreen so that the wipers do not hit the body or the plastic in operation. Job done put the kettle on and have a cup of tea or coffee :thumb

Thank you for your in-depth help Vw Guru.....I’ll get the new motor on order straight away, maybe fit an aftermarket match part....thanks again for your great help .........Janno

Janna

I have had this problem on my 2009 Cali. I put it into VW Liverpool in 2017 and it required a new motor. However, it has recently happened again! The Cali hadn’t been used much so had actually only done a few thousand miles. During a break in heavy rain, I switched from normal speed full wipers to intermittent and they simply stopped working. Within a minute or so they started to work again but in the way you have described ie continuously on intermittent setting. It went back to VW Liverpool and despite checking linkages and other stuff, they couldn’t pinpoint the fault.

It does appear to be a fault certainly on the older transporters but interestingly my mums 65-plate Skoda Fabia had a very similar fault, which was fixed under warranty. I think they replaced something within the steering column.

It is a really frustrating fault and can be dangerous when the wipers stop working whilst travelling down the motorway in heavy rain. Since the fault first appeared I now use Rain-X routinely just in case of failure and it is brilliant. Certainly worth the piece of mind.

I will be interested to see how you get on with this issue. Good luck.

Back