Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Invalid Driving Licences

B

brother10

VIP Member
Hi,

Have just been reading about out of date licences. If you have a licence older than 10 years and have not renewed it, you are committing an offence. It could cost you up to a 1,000 pound fine and possibly invalidate your insurance.
As I couldn`t remember when my new type licence was issued, just checked and I`m okay. Might be worth checking yours - you know how insurance companies are happy to duck out of claims any which way. Hope I haven`t scared anyone.

Regards Bob

Its a strange one this, becasue you are still licenced to drive, however the photocard is invalid!! We come up against it in our rental department at least once a month. On phoning the DVLA they always say there licence is valid, just to renew the photocard.

Yes I agree, but you can still drive as your paper licence is still valid. Ring the DVLA, they will confirm you can drive but to renew your photo card at the earliest opportunity.

John said:
... you could face a £1000 fine if your photocard license is out of date.
But the old - no photo at all- paper license is OK! Amazing logic.

Renewed my wife's and mine about a month ago. Took photos ourselves, what a faff!!! My wife's was returned because it did not meet the photo requirements :doh Got there in the end though. Alternatively you could just visit the Post Office, they'll take the photo and check your form, for a small fee!

Make sure your new card has all the different class entitlements still on it as some folk have received replacement licence card minus an entitlement. Such as motorbike.
One of our drivers was driving for 4 years with no HGV entitlement listed. So he was not entitled to drive HGV, despite having passed test he had to take test again !

Be prepared! Driving licences changing again on 19/1/13. Groups will become standard across the whole EU and the licences will look the same from country to country. You will retain grandfathers rights with groups you currently have but after that date when you renew your licence anybody with group C or D cat will have to renew every 5 yrs. Accompanying the renewal you will have to submit a medical fitness form if you wish to continue with C and D. You will be able to self certify under 45yrs but then after that you will need a medical via your doctor. Photo however will still only need changing every 10 yrs as now.
On that note it is correct. You can still drive if your photo expires providing the group you are driving has not expired (expiry date next to category) but you can still be subject to a £30 non endorsable on the spot fine.

I have never actually had a photo driving licence. Just kept my paper only one, no reason as I haven't had any points and not changed address . Assume this is Ok, no need to renew the photo!

I still have only the paper licence. I assume its ok in the UK but what about other EU countries?

I still have only the paper licence. I assume its ok in the UK but what about other EU countries?
If it´s a pink paper one, i think they are EU also.
If it´s the green paper one before that, then maybe not.
If it´s one before the green paper one, i wouldn´t worry
your driving days will be numbered.:thumb

Green Paper one. It says on it that its valid till 2031.
Surely the DVLA would contact me as my address is the same and notify me of needing to update.

Ahh thanks you beat me to it. I just found that page
Quote 'If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you don’t need to exchange it for a photocard version'

Next I need to find out if my paper licence will do in other EU countries.

Back