Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

iPod questions

P

Pineweasel

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi all,

I'm trying to clear up some confusion about iPod audio.

I've just put a deposit on a 140SE which has Bluetooth Premium and the MFSW. As it comes, for playing music from an iPhone/iPod I'll have two options:
- plug into the aux in in the glovebox
- bluetooth streaming

I'm interested in adding a direct connection to give me better sound and charging. Is my understanding of these correct?
- iPod Adaptor (£105) is an iPod connection in the glovebox with basic track control and playlist selection via the head unit (and MSFW?)
- Media-in Interface (£150) gives USB as well as iPod connection (also in glovebox?), more comprehensive info on the head unit (track names etc.) and control via head unit and MFSW

Have I got the right idea here? Currently I'm thinking of getting the media in kit fitted.

Thanks!

pineweasel

Re: iPod questions (MDI, Bluetooth)

We got the MDI for the same reason you did; for direct, wired sound.
But we never use it.

Not sure if you're getting the default RCD310 or a posher stereo, but with the 310 the MDI is pretty useless if you're using it with a modern iDevice with anything more than a few hundred tracks. Trying to find a particular album out of hundreds, or a particular track out of thousands, can take minutes - as the only control you have is to spin the right-hand wheel on the 310. I'm unaware of a skip-by-letter feature, so there's no way to fast-forward through the alphabet (if anyone knows otherwise, or if the 510 is much better at this, please let me know :thumb).

Oh, and the MDI randomly locks up (crashes) our (admittedly old) iPod.

We find it easier to use Bluetooth and for the co-pilot to DJ using the iPad's native interface.
Bluetooth doesn't sound perfect, but it's plenty good enough (slightly wishing I'd gone for the Dynaudio speakers, though). And that way, TomTom on the iPad fades the stereo.

The only problem with Bluetooth is that the Cali tends to pair with the first audio device it finds (despite setting this in the DIS menu), so you have to be careful with the order in which you enable Bluetooth if you have more than one device paired - to avoid doing the Bluetooth shuffle!

My advice would be to ask for a demo of a comparable system (doesn't have to be a Cali - just a VW with similar options), and see if it suits your needs.

I think you can get either (iPod/MDI) fitted at any point; they're dealer mods. (The only advantage to getting them fitted at purchase might be that they then qualify for the 3 year warranty - but confirm that with your dealer, as I'm out of date).

I'm hoping that at some point the MDI will improve, but I'm not sure whether that's possible with an MDI firmware update.

And I'm hoping someone wiser and more up-to-date than me (hi, Stu :cool: ) will be along with more helpful advice in a moment!

Best wishes,
Steve

As far as music goes, the only advantage with the RNS510 is the hard drive. You can load all your music onto this (mp3) and select off the screen. How easy it is to get to a particular track depends on your filing system. Ie. how you load them onto the hard drive.

My suggestion would be to buy a cable that plugs into the cigar lighter (12v) and into your iPod. Then use bluetooth to make the connection. This way you can select tracks using the familiar system you have them filed on your iPod and it will be charged up as you go along.

I don't thing there is much difference in sound quality between the RNS 510 or using my iPhone via blue tooth. I used to be a hifi nut where sound quality was king. Now I just listen to the music.

I also have the MDI fitted and to be honest I never use it. My granddaughter does to link up her iPod but that's because she uses it rarely and it's the simplest method for her.

Have Fun.
Bob

Thanks for the replies. It's great to hear that you are both happy with the bluetooth streaming; having read some very negative comments elsewhere I'd assumed that it was unlistenable.

It's a shame the MDI kit has such a poor user interface. Having all my albums on an iPod classic in the glovebox sounded like a good plan, but not if navigating selections is such a pain.

I think I'll just take the van as it comes and see how I get on with Bluetooth.

Cheers,

pineweasel

Back