Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it possible to swap out the kitchen USB’s for 12v?

C

CaliKingMK2023

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All,
I find that I am not using the usb-a’s in the kitchen on my T6.1 Ocean. Has anyone every swapped them out for a 12v? Would be so much more useful to me!

Thanks in advance!

I would say if you where asking for the other way round.
Now you it looks if you where to go in the past?

What device is it you so desperately need to have working on old tech?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Hi All,
I find that I am not using the usb-a’s in the kitchen on my T6.1 Ocean. Has anyone every swapped them out for a 12v? Would be so much more useful to me!

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I changed my 12v kitchen socket to a USB socket in my T5.1 Cali, much more useful to me.
Matt

Yeah I’ve seen them. I want to do the reverse on a T6.1 Cali Ocean. I never use the USB’s and a 12v would mean my telly can be plugged in easily.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

would this work

Thanks for the response. I did look at that. Unfortunately the wattage won’t be enough to power my 12v. Ideally I need to take the USB sockets out and do a straight swap with a 12v socket. Surely if people have done it the other way around, it’s possible?

Remove the USB socket and check the voltage it is supplied with.
If it is supplied at 12 volts you could change it. If it is supplied at 5 volts it would require running a new supply from a 12 volt fuse. I don't know how these usb outlets work but it is likely that the voltage is reduced to 5 volts at the socket.

What device is it you so desperately need to have working on old tech?
As an example, I have a12v laptop charger that I found really useful in my Beach. It’s also handy for powering a small 12v fridge situated between the front seats. :thumb

More and more these sockets seem to disapaer since we are moving to all usb devices. If usb is not sufficient anymore, then they tend to deliver them with an other power cord wich will fit :)

The usb(a) connections in the van will as of next year/upgrade start to disapaer aswel I guess since rhe new standaard is becomming usb-c. My new Caddy 2021 is already fitted from factory with it. I even did not a choice in this. I realy want to see what they did on the new T7 california. I guess more discomfort stuff for most of us.

Thanks for the response. I did look at that. Unfortunately the wattage won’t be enough to power my 12v. Ideally I need to take the USB sockets out and do a straight swap with a 12v socket. Surely if people have done it the other way around, it’s possible?
Probably easier to fit a 12v socket directly to the leisure battery with a suitably fused connection wire.

More and more these sockets seem to disapaer since we are moving to all usb devices. If usb is not sufficient anymore, then they tend to deliver them with an other power cord wich will fit :)

The usb(a) connections in the van will as of next year/upgrade start to disapaer aswel I guess since rhe new standaard is becomming usb-c. My new Caddy 2021 is already fitted from factory with it. I even did not a choice in this. I realy want to see what they did on the new T7 california. I guess more discomfort stuff for most of us.
It’s saves costs for the manufacturer, as they will most likely use a thinner gauge wiring inside the van for USB, so be careful what you plug into it if you use a usb to 12v cigarette adaptor.

Better to run a direct fused feed off the battery, with a nice thick wire as per WG’s post. Especially for something like a fridge, cooler, 12v kettle etc.

I'll admit, I too would prefer a standard 12V socket in that location too. It would keep your options open. Pop in a USB adapter if required, remove it for larger appliances with the old 12v cigarette lighter plug.

Back