Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it worth asking for free extras / haggle on price

I got an extra £600 off by not taking out finance. If I had taken out finance I would have only got £150 contributed instead of the quoted £750. Strange but definitely true, got it in writing.
How come?

How come?
The cash price quotation included a dealer contribution of £500+VAT, which was removed from the finance quotation. I did query with them and they confirmed it was definitely correct and the dealer contribution was only possible to offer for an outright purchase. This was back in January for a factory order.

I would be very interested to know where Jabberwocky achieved 8-9%. I was offered 4% from my local dealer, had the story thats theres very little margin, 7% from a well known dealer up north and this (7%) was the absolute max he could give. So please share this info. I am looking to place my order in the next week. At the end of the day 1% is around £600. Especially now that I have probably missed the boat for the new tax law changes. £600 -£1000 would offset the increase in tax.
Sorry not to reply until now. I have been boating down the River Charante and internet/mobile phone access was a little patchy so waited 'til I got home!
I was offered 4% by two dealers when I started down this road and was told that this was the maximum by one of them. I negotiated with the remaining dealer by email and was offered 7% eventually. I then went into the dealership and negotiated face to face. No more "straight" discount but as has been said elsewhere finance can add up to an effective £700 (in my case) off your real price and then you add in a tank of fuel (£80) and carpets (£90 for VW front and rear) if you really push and then I offered to place order that day if we came to a deal. When I add all this up I make it just a smidgen over 8.5% discount on my spec Cali. Hope this helps.

I got the VW bike rack on top of my discount from Guy at Preston. Top man. Great service. Bloody long drive from Kent to do the deal :)
Oh and a free cup :)

Hi Jabberwocky sounds like the perfect pre California holiday. Thanks for your reply. I am in a funny way relieved to hear 8-9% discount is not really out there at the moment. I too did the shopping around. My local dealer was adamant there was very little discount to be had. My next local dealer was slow in responding and when he did it was the same response, there's little discount to be had. I guess these dealers prefer fewer sales at higher margin. If thats their policy then so be it. I prefer to put some leg work in and get a better financial deal for me. I must say that whilst the final price is hugely, if not the most, important factor, I believe placing your order with a dealership that invests time to explain each option in detail is next in importance.

Hi everyone... I am just starting down the road of ordering a Cali Beach and with the price coming to c. £55K I was expecting some discount too off the list price. But my local deal (Hatfield) said 1% is the most he has ever heard of being offered.

From the thread, I can see the VW garage in Preston comes recommended. Any others people would recommend?

Hi everyone... I am just starting down the road of ordering a Cali Beach and with the price coming to c. £55K I was expecting some discount too off the list price. But my local deal (Hatfield) said 1% is the most he has ever heard of being offered.

From the thread, I can see the VW garage in Preston comes recommended. Any others people would recommend?
Dealers often say there is little or no discount! It's a great game of who will blink first! My Mrs won't go into dealerships with me any more as she finds the whole process uncomfortable. Let them know you are a serious buyer and be willing to walk away and you can get a good deal! Some dealers are more receptive than others.

Dealers often say there is little or no discount! It's a great game of who will blink first! My Mrs won't go into dealerships with me any more as she finds the whole process uncomfortable. Let them know you are a serious buyer and be willing to walk away and you can get a good deal! Some dealers are more receptive than others.
That's why people do go to Guy at Preston. No big game or dance for a discount. You say "what's your best price?" and he gives you a discount. It's a LOT better than 1%. What a joke. They obviously don't want to sell vans, or they find enough people that aren't put off by paying near on full price!

Hi BigJohno, I eventually bought my van from SMG in Tonbridge Kent. Laine Watts there gave us excelent pre sales service. We were in the dealers for 5 hours. I can't recommend him highly enough. Laine knows his stuff, gives useful advice on all options and I am happy with my eventual order, even happy with the colour now.

I can recommend Preston. Just shy of 8% discount, also a few little extras, and, after a nudge, honoured the 4-service deal that was in place when the order was placed - saving £150.
Not sure whether the long lead times have driven the discounts down though...

Many thanks everyone. Much appreciated!

Sounds like a round trip to Preston may be in order. Bit of a trek but worth it.

Stonebroke, what was your lead / build time? I don't mind a wait - but next summer would be nice!

Sounds like a round trip to Preston may be in order. Bit of a trek but worth it.

Stonebroke, what was your lead / build time? I don't mind a wait - but next summer would be nice!
I ordered at the end of May. It's being built today!
Should arrive late oct/ early Nov. So that's 5months. Things could be different now. It's all a lottery depending on spec and some magical VW formula they don't share with anyone else.

You don't need to drive the dealer to get a quote, what I did was emailed around ten dealers with my exact spec ( a blanket email to them all ) Eight replied all with different quotes, the best I got was 8% and a free bike rack, dealer was in Kent and I will either drive over for collection or they said they would deliver it for free.

Ordered mid-feb; collected 30th Sept.

Back