Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Van Centres - contempt for their customers or contempt for their employers, can’t work out which one it is?

Sadly Ive not had one contact from my well recommended dealer either - even now my Cali has been sat at the dealers for 3 weeks & they never initiate contact & when I ask a question never answer it properly - I have excused some of it due to lockdowns & furlough but would have to agree with most peoples negativity about VW Customer Service being shocking.
Hi Jenny, same dealer, as you know. But no proactive contact here either. Only 1 email on the subject of build/delivery date and that was in response to my email to them last week. A prompt response, but only after I reached out to them. I was granting them a C19 excuse, but who knows the real story. Hope your handover is smoother and more satisfactory.

Hi Jenny, same dealer, as you know. But no proactive contact here either. Only 1 email on the subject of build/delivery date and that was in response to my email to them last week. A prompt response, but only after I reached out to them. I was granting them a C19 excuse, but who knows the real story. Hope your handover is smoother and more satisfactory.
Funnily enough just this after posting had an email regarding collecting on 6th March - I assume thats allowed?!?

Funnily enough just this after posting had an email regarding collecting on 6th March - I assume thats allowed?!?
You are going to a legitimately operating business to undertake a perfectly legal transaction. I know what I would be doing but only you can decide.

If you don't want to go, I can collect on your behalf ;)

Vehicle Forums attract people with Negative experiences regarding vehicles or Dealerships, Sales or Service.
The proportion of negative to positive experiences is always higher.
Personally, I’ve not had any problems but have with other marques in the past. Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Alfa Romeo and Citroen.
They are all as bad as each other, but a good Dealership is worth their weight in gold.

Not entirely sure of your reasoning that vehicle forums attract people with negative experiences. I would have thought most of us are here for positive views and feedback to enable us to enjoy our pride and joys.
Negative objective feedback is useful, whereas I see only too often negative subjective feedback on here which is neither useful nor factual.
I’m more than happy to extol the virtues of good customer service, but my experience of purchasing the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought is without doubt the worst across The BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus dealerships I have dealt with. The only exception being Land Rover, but that’s a whole different story!

I gave my local Landrover Dealer a call this morning. Yep, yep, okay you want a petrol, yep. We have diesel, far more suitable sir for an SUV, more economical. Okay, petrol. We dont have one and dont know if we will get one in. Diesel?

So I explained to him that depreciation was the biggest cost when buying a new car. He them came back, that's the great thing about PCP. So I asked him do you not think its factored into the cost? Huh, probably is. Sadly I'm a a true cash buyer. Argh ok, yep that would work as well. (What I cant buy a car now for cash?)

Anyway. The spring event offer is on stock cars (read it for the the ones we cant sell) and yours would need to be a factory order, are you sure about petrol?

Left it that I would keep my 60k and he could keep hold of the car.

(What I cant buy a car now for cash?)
Seemingly that's becoming ever harder to do. The last two or three times, I've been subjected to various form filling, and on one occasion had to wait for the dealer's "Compliance Manager" (ie credit sales guy) to make me confirm and write in blood that I was irretrievably simple-minded enough to be declining both their PCP and other credit offers and GAP insurance and just wanted to make a bank transfer for the negotiated price. Apparently it was all to comply with FCA rules. Yeah right.

Seemingly that's becoming ever harder to do. The last two or three times, I've been subjected to various form filling, and on one occasion had to wait for the dealer's "Compliance Manager" (ie credit sales guy) to make me confirm and write in blood that I was irretrievably simple-minded enough to be declining both their PCP and other credit offers and GAP insurance and just wanted to make a bank transfer for the negotiated price. Apparently it was all to comply with FCA rules. Yeah right.

Had a very similar experience when buying a new Skoda. They even made me sign some sort of disclaimer for turning down their (very expensive) offer for waterproof treatment for the seats, explaining it was regulated by the financial conduct authority. Utter bullshit.

All we wanted to do was buy a car for cash. We were more or less forced to buy it via PCP cancelling the day after we picked up the car. Paying cash would have cost £1500 more - the deposit contribution.

It’s nuts.

Had a very similar experience when buying a new Skoda. They even made me sign some sort of disclaimer for turning down their (very expensive) offer for waterproof treatment for the seats, explaining it was regulated by the financial conduct authority. Utter bullshit.

All we wanted to do was buy a car for cash. We were more or less forced to buy it via PCP cancelling the day after we picked up the car. Paying cash would have cost £1500 more - the deposit contribution.

It’s nuts.
I just hate the whole process. If there was a dealer who'd take my order then deliver the vehicle onto my driveway without all the bollox, they'd get my business. That would be my definition of good service. Unfortunately I'm not going to get that because the upselling imperative trumps service and the dealership staff have all been indoctrinated into believing they're adding value for the customer.

Exact same here when collecting our Beach. Psuedo regulatory forms for compliance as I was turning down gap insurance etc. On the flipside they made it harder/ tried to advise buying the warranty extension was a waste of money. Makes you wonder how long before this type of practice will be subject to a pensions/ppi type miselling review.

I don't think you can tar every dealer with the same brush.I've read on here how many people are satisfied with one dealer! So i'm going to add a recommendation for Breeze at Southampton.
I just sold my Beach to them and they have been great. Good communication and quick payment into my account. Thanks to Matt Robertshaw and Jack Yeats.

I just hate the whole process. If there was a dealer who'd take my order then deliver the vehicle onto my driveway without all the bollox, they'd get my business. That would be my definition of good service. Unfortunately I'm not going to get that because the upselling imperative trumps service and the dealership staff have all been indoctrinated into believing they're adding value for the customer.

Maybe Amazon should start selling cars.

Can happily assist in this. If you wanted me too.

Have to say the service and update we have had from Listers Van Centre in Droitwich has been fab, albeit that’s since the van arrived with them as Autoebid provided the updates before delivery. Hannah and Helen have been very helpful with our dilemma of whether to allow the Van to be driven to us by their driver or on the back of a trailer (at our cost). Having initially decided on trailer delivery (300 mile trip ) we have now changed our mind and opted for driver delivery. It was not a problem to staff at all. Our van will be delivered next Thursday....... the wait is over !

Agree. I just find it so hard to spend money at dealers. I feel like they rely on the PCP merry go round and become confused with the transaction of selling at the real "market" rate for that vehicle. What ? you want to buy it? Better speak to my sales manager.

Bought an company ID3 First Edition just before Christmas. Great price. Wanted to use a local dealer rather than Marshalls in Newbury. Send me the quote (Didnt believe me?). I sent on the quote. Didnt come back to me. Chased the next day and they said they were still looking at it and would come back. (Its five figures on a piece of paper, what's there to look at?). At close of play I had an long winded email about added value and not devaluing the product and benefits that the could provide being local and that they didn't believe that the quote would be honoured and that they really would like to have our business. (It was £3k more!) FFS.

When I bought a JCW Mini they added £1500 of insurances to the finance agreement. As I sign warranties and collateral warranties on a regular basis it was an easy spot. Didnt tell me that they added it. Then I got the "its in your best interest" and were customer driven and we've put together the best protection based on the vehicle to look after your interests, blah, blah........ Anyway I took out the PCP for the contribution but it was a complete miss sell. Irrelevant in my case as I paid it off straight way.

Who believe this ............ It must be the younger generation.

I think the industry needs a hard cold shake up.

Last edited:
Just in case you think I'm a tight wad. I'm not worried about £1k here or there on a vehicle. Travel 400miles to pick up the car, I rather pay £1k more!

Paying 7k more for the same 65k car though is not going to happen. That is just stupid.

I have many going your way Alison actually which is pretty good from being complete opposite ends of the UK!
I just wish I could have worked out a way with 4 dogs and Covid restrictions... next time !
I will definitely pop in to make contact if Iam down your way.

Have to say the service and update we have had from Listers Van Centre in Droitwich has been fab, albeit that’s since the van arrived with them as Autoebid provided the updates before delivery. Hannah and Helen have been very helpful with our dilemma of whether to allow the Van to be driven to us by their driver or on the back of a trailer (at our cost). Having initially decided on trailer delivery (300 mile trip ) we have now changed our mind and opted for driver delivery. It was not a problem to staff at all. Our van will be delivered next Thursday....... the wait is over !
Hi Footy69, I've also ordered with Listers through Autoebid. With a status code 20 for w/c March 8th, I was told to expect arrival at the dealership in early April. Please could I be nosey and ask how much the charge was for trailer delivery? I'm half the distance from them that you are, but would love to know in advance what sort of cost this would entail?

Hi Footy69, I've also ordered with Listers through Autoebid. With a status code 20 for w/c March 8th, I was told to expect arrival at the dealership in early April. Please could I be nosey and ask how much the charge was for trailer delivery? I'm half the distance from them that you are, but would love to know in advance what sort of cost this would entail?
Of course, it was £320 plus VAT, no discount for shorter as we were going to meet them close to border to reduce cost. Set cost. Its a third party company they hire to do the job. On considering it we were worried about potential for damage from stone chips from rear end of towing vehicle and this is what made us decide we would would just for for the van being driven by their staff to us and hope that its fine. If its early April you may be able to collect by then if your closer.

I just wish I could have worked out a way with 4 dogs and Covid restrictions... next time !
I will definitely pop in to make contact if Iam down your way.
Absolutely and that goes for anyone if your in the Poole area pop in and say hi! Can put a face to some names

Of course, it was £320 plus VAT, no discount for shorter as we were going to meet them close to border to reduce cost. Set cost. Its a third party company they hire to do the job. On considering it we were worried about potential for damage from stone chips from rear end of towing vehicle and this is what made us decide we would would just for for the van being driven by their staff to us and hope that its fine. If its early April you may be able to collect by then if your closer.
Oh, Thanks for that. It didn't even cross my mind that we could actually pick it up ourselves!? May just get them to drive it down anyway as it would be a 300 mile round trip!! Much appreciated.

Oh, Thanks for that. It didn't even cross my mind that we could actually pick it up ourselves!? May just get them to drive it down anyway as it would be a 300 mile round trip!! Much appreciated.
We would have happily picked ours up despite the distance but it just wasn't possible. But whatever is best for you. Enjoy when it comes, timing will be just right to get our and enjoy it. We can't wait. !!

Not entirely sure of your reasoning that vehicle forums attract people with negative experiences. I would have thought most of us are here for positive views and feedback to enable us to enjoy our pride and joys.
Negative objective feedback is useful, whereas I see only too often negative subjective feedback on here which is neither useful nor factual.
I’m more than happy to extol the virtues of good customer service, but my experience of purchasing the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought is without doubt the worst across The BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus dealerships I have dealt with. The only exception being Land Rover, but that’s a whole different story!
People who have a problem are more likely to post on a vehicle Forum than those who don't because they want to get it off their chest, look for advice or get someone to agree with them.
This Forum is more about the Vehicle and the life experience. The majority of subjects have nothing to do with Dealerships and more to do with using the vehicle, where to go, modifications or problem solving.
I've had a good customer Sales and Servicing experience with my Dealership and I'm sure a significant number of owners both On and Off the Forum have also. In fact, a few started threads about what hasn't gone wrong.

Back