Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ISO Top VI for T6 Ocean

Nick&Sara

Nick&Sara

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi all

Has anyone fitted the new version of the ISOTop VI to a later T6 Ocean that has the fully opening front ? The instructions are awful and all videos I have seen although helpful only cover the previous ISOTop. The instructions say to use 4 x 2CM velcro freeze parts in the rear corners at the rear and so do the older videos, but my kit does not have these included. Also the plastic inserts which go down the sewn sleeves at the top have Velcro strips sewn to them at right angles and the awful instructions do not show how these Velcro parts are fitted. Maybe this part will make sense when I actually get to fit the top.

If someone has already fitted the newer VI version could you please advise if your kit came with the 8 x Velcro discs ? And how these sewn Velcro parts on the plastic inserts work ?

Many thanks in advance for your help. I have sent a message to the club shop where I purchased the top from, but not sure if they are about on a weekend.

Nick.

Hi all

Has anyone fitted the new version of the ISOTop VI to a later T6 Ocean that has the fully opening front ? The instructions are awful and all videos I have seen although helpful only cover the previous ISOTop. The instructions say to use 4 x 2CM velcro freeze parts in the rear corners at the rear and so do the older videos, but my kit does not have these included. Also the plastic inserts which go down the sewn sleeves at the top have Velcro strips sewn to them at right angles and the awful instructions do not show how these Velcro parts are fitted. Maybe this part will make sense when I actually get to fit the top.

If someone has already fitted the newer VI version could you please advise if your kit came with the 8 x Velcro discs ? And how these sewn Velcro parts on the plastic inserts work ?

Many thanks in advance for your help. I have sent a message to the club shop where I purchased the top from, but not sure if they are about on a weekend.

Nick.

OK so I have now worked out where all of the bits go in the kit and have attached all of the Velcro fittings and pads etc. The actual job was very enjoyable and took a couple of hours working at a nice slow pace. As the club shop video stated, it takes longer to try and work out what the hell the Brandrup instructions are getting at than actually doing the job. I now have to wait 48 hours for the Velcro adhesive to dry so as to achieve maximum strength and then I can hang the Isotop, but I have left the rear upper corners Velcro free for now until I find out about the 2CM Velcro discs that the instructions and videos mention. I could cut up bits of the left over narrower lower Velcro and stick these in the corners, but I think the 4 discs are there for a strength reason.

If it helps anyone else, the temp today in the south of the UK was ambient 6 degrees so I set the the diesel heater to number 5 and easily achieved 20 deg c.

I just wish that the instructions from the manufacturer were better and detailed exactly where and how the various bits fitted. It is an easy fit actually but made bewildering by the awful instructions.

I am a production Engineer and I am used to writing and reading technical work instructions, and these from Brandrup are just not up to scratch for a bit of kit that sells for over £500.00.

Thanks Nick.

Posted by another member
We also have the new Isotop VI, and having fitted it over Christmas it's really made a huge difference.
We were waiting for most of last year for the new version of the Isotop to come out as our cali early on last year came with the full drop down poo top front which is great.

In terms of fitting, like maxandcali we ran a heater in the van to warm up prior to applying the stick on velcro, and then left for several days before fitting the canvas.
Fit seemed pretty good. A bit tight at the rear corners initially to get in but seems to be holding fine now it's in. I migh adjust a bit when I get some time to do so.

The bigger velcro tabs at the top at the front (5 of them for the isotop Vi) are notoriously hard to get into place, but the advice from various sources to use a couple smooth thin laminated credit card sized cards (i used some old plastic membership cards we didn't use anymore) really helped as if you put the cards in 1st, then push the velcro tabs in place between them (it's still quite a push), it then allows you to not only push the velcro in, but also adjust them if necessary. Once you're happy with placement, remove the cards gently and the tabs will very much stay put.

In terms of dropping the roof, the recommendation in the instructions is to drop the whole front section of the ISO-Top.. the zip down front and roll it up. One time I found is that if you roll this front section up too tight, and place it wrong in the root, then the pop-top front right or left can not come down fully, so just watch out for that. We've now started rolling that front piece up much more loosely so it's not so bulky height wise.
Pushing it back into the sliding shutter finally is a bit more fiddly, but so far we've found that's actually fine.

Obviously we've not had the Isotop for long so we'll see how it copes long term, but so far so good for the Version VI. On the odd day out in the cold, just being able to put the roof up and not having to faff about with anything outside is great.

Many thanks for the information Kev.
Did your kit come with the 8 x 2CM Velcro discs for the upper rear corners ?
Regards
Nick.

Back