Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup ISO-TOP VI Installation

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thanks to everyone who has already posted regarding earlier versions of the ISO-TOP:

@MattBW Video of a Beach:

Installed Brandrup ISO-TOP IV:

And thanks to @LunaLovegood for some VI tips:

Instructions from Brandrup (probably best to avoid altogether!):

I put up another post specifically regarding issues I had with the ISO-TOP VI install here:

Here are my 'Quick' Tips Instructions:

1) First part of the install is straight forward:
- Get the instructions and either throw them in the bin, shred them or set them on fire.
IMG_5385.jpg

- Clean the metal with the wipe provided.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Use the sponge provided, do fairly quick as it tends to fall apart.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Apply the bottom velcro all around on the metal and cut where required.
IMG_5366.jpg

- Apply the back top velcro, it should be cut to measure, but I found it was too long so I cut it down.
IMG_5368.jpg

2) Wait 48 Hours. Some members have reported they didn't do this and it's been fine - I'll leave that one up to you to decide! - I opted to leave it for the 48 hours and keep the roof up, but I'm not sure if that's required either.

3) The main bit of the install:
- !! Don't try and install the main ISO-TOP liner like I did !!

- Get the 5 smallish tabs of velcro. Lots of people report how difficult this bit is. It's incredibly difficult if you try to insert them where I first did! (near where my hand is right at the back) Don't do that! Instead put them in the section slightly in front (as shown in the photo).

-- I had no trouble pushing them in just using my hands, others have mentioned credit cards, or the new £10 help if you're struggling.

-- Start with the middle, then the ends, then I eyeballed the other 2 and it was fine. If you're more cautious than me you may want to measure it up :)
IMG_5322.jpg

- Get the 6 strips of velcro. Here's the naming convention I used:
-- Velcro 1: The one with the grey transparent tab.
-- Velcro 2: The one with the 2 smaller ends.
-- Velcro 3: The one with 1 smaller end, and 1 larger end.

--- You'll repeat the following steps on each side of the van.
---- Velcro 1:
----- Start at the top back, and put the grey transparent tab in.
IMG_5370.jpg

----- Take the other end and put through the eyelet and fasten back on to itself:
IMG_5371.jpg

---- Velcro 2:
----- Put in the same eyelet as just used with 'Velcro 1' and fold back on itself. Then put in the next eyelet (the one used for the child safety net) and fold back on itself.

---- Velcro 3:
----- Put in the same eyelet as just used with 'Velcro 2' and fold back on itself. Then attach to the velcro tab at the front.
IMG_5372.jpg

4) ISO-TOP fabric install:
- Now, with the all tabs and velcro installed, it's time to install the main fabric.
-- The black side should be to the pop top canvas, the grey felt like material towards the inside of the van.
-- I started at the top of the back:
IMG_5367.jpg

-- The top back corners slide in and around and look something like this:
IMG_5374.jpg

-- I then attached the top around the sides:
IMG_5375.jpg

!! Capped at 10 images a post, so continuing on next post !!

Last edited:
!! Welcome back !!

-- I then took it off and did a good few times, each time stretching it more and more until I eventually got it so the front section could zip on:
IMG_5317.jpg

And there we go! Good luck! Hopefully that helps and saves people making the same mistakes I did :)

Further help and issues I had over here:

Last edited:
That looks great, thanks for taking time to share the photos, incredibly useful for folks. See the included instructions are still a waste of time lol, at least the community can step up to the challenge! ;)

The difference is makes to the cosyness of the roof though, superb.

Thanks for the detailed write up - could be very useful if I decide to get one. Just one question though - the canvass on my 6.1 is very tight around the shutter - after I close the roof it is very difficult to close the shutter. How does the Isotop fit above the shutter? I understand you have to open the front flap before closing the roof - where does the extra material go?

Thanks for the detailed write up - could be very useful if I decide to get one. Just one question though - the canvass on my 6.1 is very tight around the shutter - after I close the roof it is very difficult to close the shutter. How does the Isotop fit above the shutter? I understand you have to open the front flap before closing the roof - where does the extra material go?

Indeed! I asked the community the same question here: