Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Issue with getting insurance when not on electoral role

A

AKBOB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have been shocked recently when looking for insurance to be told by 2 insurers (Comfort and AIB) that I needed to be a UK citizen to get our camper van insured by them. They said they might be able to find a secondary company that might cover me. They went so far as to say I couldn't even be a named driver on a policy taken out by my wife. I have since gotten insurance and specifically told them I was only a resident in the UK for almost 8 years and they had no problem with that. I can't begin to say what a sour taste it left in my mouth. I am from the States originally and this is the first time I've had issues once I had satisfied 3 or 4 years residence. Other than that they both seemed to have decent policies, but just not for me!!

My Mrs is Chinese and has never had any problems either insuring her car or as named driver on the Cali policy with one of the companies you mention. She does have a UK licence tho.

My Mrs is Chinese and has never had any problems either insuring her car or as named driver on the Cali policy with one of the companies you mention. She does have a UK licence tho.
i would hope that the OP also has a uk licence if not he shouldn’t be driving here after 8 years.

I worked with a USA citizen in the uk who managed to run over a pedestrian whilst reversing over a zebra crossing - he got into a lot of trouble as he had been here 2 years and not got a uk license

Last edited:
I do have a full UK license. I was offered insurance through a number of companies. One of the applications requested to know if one were on the electoral rolls and it was an issue. I enquired of the other regarding citizenship and they did not offer insurance to non UK citizens but hadn't asked about it. No big deal until you have an accident and then deny you for a reason you were unaware of.

I do have a full UK license. I was offered insurance through a number of companies. One of the applications requested to know if one were on the electoral rolls and it was an issue. I enquired of the other regarding citizenship and they did not offer insurance to non UK citizens but hadn't asked about it. No big deal until you have an accident and then deny you for a reason you were unaware of.
Ignorance is no defence or excuse. Read all the policy documents thoroughly. Then raise any questions with insurer before cooling off period ends.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Try LV we added a USA visitor to our poilcy when she was in collage in UK

Back