Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jaynes New Cali

jaynehale1968

jaynehale1968

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just deciding on the optional extras for my new cali and have found this group such a great help.
Still undecided on which engine though

Welcome to this great forum.
150bhp is plenty, unless perhaps if you’re towing, with slightly better fuel economy and lower emissions. Accelerates really well and will cruise at 100mph all day if you need. But drive them both if you can, and see if you need to blast off the line and send the contents to the back of your cupboards!
Best option box I ticked might be the towbar. Taking bikes with us (and getting into the tailgate easily) means we can leave the van set up and explore locally easily, and drink and ride!
If you’re getting an Ocean though, I don’t think there are many essentials that you’d miss if you didn’t tick them.
Colour is the main conundrum. I’m very happy with the free Ascot Grey. It looks sandy in some lights and true grey in others, blending with its surroundings quite well. Darker colours are harder to keep clean (if you’re bothered). White is good if you like 2-tone, you can wrap the bottom half any colour you like, protect the paint and save yourself maybe £1500 over factory paint.
I wouldn’t hesitate too long ordering though, as the 6.1’s days are numbered (I don’t think anyone actually knows that number, but sounds like it’s weeks/months rather than years).
Finally - use Drive the Deal or similar to save c.10%, and look forward to smiling whenever you see it never mind use it.

Welcome to the forum. Exciting times.

Our 150bhp is fine for a glorified builders van with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick.

Our second car is 350bhp, but don’t find the van sluggish by any means.

Last edited:
If you can test drive both great, but as said previously if your not towing then the 150 is a great drive.

My Dad is 85 and he test drove a 150 Ocean. He said it was a slouch, especially when overtaking. Nope, 204 is the one to go for which is what I bought. My Coast also has 4Mo so it was a no brainer.