Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Joining the club!

CarrieCali

CarrieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone,

First post I've written, but I must have read about a thousand on here now!

We've just placed an order for an Ocean with West Yorks VW Van Centre, for a hopeful arrival in 6 months time. Thanks for the multiple years of knowledge that's gone in to answering all our questions, without us ever needing to ask one!

Roll on March...

Matt

Welcome Matt, a long wait ahead but exciting times to come. Please feel free to ask any questions you want whilst your waiting!

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Get the maps out over Winter.

Thanks all! @WelshGas - any recommendations for good UK maps? If it listed any (smaller) sites that we could take on the road with us, it'd be great.

(The family are already asking what Christmas and birthday presents we want for the van!)

Thanks all! @WelshGas - any recommendations for good UK maps? If it listed any (smaller) sites that we could take on the road with us, it'd be great.

(The family are already asking what Christmas and birthday presents we want for the van!)
Personally I haven't come across any maps showing campsites. Mostly its on-line or Apps.
If you join the clubs - useful for Insurance - you get their handbooks of Sites and Certified Locations - Caravan & Motorhome Club or Camping & Caravan Club.
ASCI is good for the Continent and Archies is a good site/App that covers the whole of Europe including UK. All campsites of all sizes and amenities but no recommendations.
Also, http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk, searchable and with users reviews.

Will have a look!

Need to sort insurance, memberships, etc... Lots of research to do!

Welcome. We were just a year ahead of you almost to the day. Order placed with Mark at WYVC mid September 2016 and collected van 17 March this year. Can't believe how quickly that year has gone although the first 6 months didn't seem like it at the time.

Welcome , nice to hear you read about a thousend posts ....thats my weekly package:D

Cali now awaiting checks at Grimsby Port. Whilst this is far quicker than expected, the wait is killing me!

haven't come across any maps showing campsites
The Ordnance Survey of GB & NI does a pretty good job of marking many/most campsites. Either on paper map editions or on digital products. Online versions can be viewed in Bing Maps by selecting the Ordnance Survey option to see coverage in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 depending on zoom level

Thanks Pete - we've got lots of the landranger ones - so that could be a good way of working out where we'll run, walk and sleep the night!

So far we've managed to resist the urge to buy things for the unnamed van, apart from a few essentials (eg. gas!)

We're a family of naming our vehicles. And though we've not met him/her yet - I think it's going to be tricky to land on one! My forerunners are still Hans or Denise van Outing...

The Ordnance Survey of GB & NI does a pretty good job of marking many/most campsites. Either on paper map editions or on digital products. Online versions can be viewed in Bing Maps by selecting the Ordnance Survey option to see coverage in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 depending on zoom level
Can get out of date quickly. On-line or via apps of one sort or another tend to be upto date.
Of course you can buy the latest maps each time.
Not much use for the Continent.

Can get out of date quickly. On-line or via apps of one sort or another tend to be upto date.
Of course you can buy the latest maps each time.
Not much use for the Continent.
Google maps, put camp sites in search, they are nearly all there wherever you want.

Google maps, put camp sites in search, they are nearly all there wherever you want.
I think the operative word is “nearly”.
There was a significant difference in Google’s search/data compared with Archie’s in Scandinavia and outside some other populous areas.

Back