Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just picked up our Wendy house on wheels today.. Eeekkkk

lynne

lynne

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
All very new to this, hubby sitting in it now, with user manual in hand, we have a T5 Cali 180 model ( think thats right)
We are from Durham, anyone near? Say helloooo.
Any advice for newbies, what is essential to take on our 1st trip away? ( only going 40 miles,) bit worried it all goes wrong. But excited, never the less.
Lynne.

Great stuff , getting out is the best way to get to know the Cali....
If you need help , just shoot away;)
Just load up some stuff you think needed , make a list on things you miss out during your trip , and start all over the second trip.
Afther a trip or five you are settled

Last edited:
Advice from HC mirrors my dealers. Just make sure he reads the bits about lowering the roof carefully. Enjoy

Mike

Welcome,
My advice would be, don't try to read the manual like a book. You will be in a coma in minutes. :boring However before you try operating anything read that section thoroughly. This applies particularly to the roof operation which is easily damaged if you don't know what you are doing.
Also if you are new to this forum then you will find the information on here extremely useful. If you get a problem then do a search and if you cannot find the answer then ask. It is a fantastic forum with a wealth of very knowledgeable members.
For your trip just relax and IMO only take away the essentials for your trip. You will soon discover what you actually need and what you don't. It seems to be quite common for owners to talk about buying lots of new stuff for their Cali only to realise that they didn't really need it, well at least not all of the time. I am one of those people. I now have all the these items in Really Useful Boxes and only take those that I will use for that particular trip, e.g the Cobb cooker stays at home unless we are actually intending to use it.

I hope that you have many lovely adventures.

Last edited:
Hi Lynne
There are quite a few around Tyne and Wear so I'm sure there must be a few in your area too. We've ordered a new one so it will be a while for us. I'd say going local is a great idea. Get to know it, and what you might need. Don't buy too many accessories until your sure you need em. Assuming you are naming it, seems like convention dictates. ;)

Enjoy.

hey welcome!!!! My advice is just relax and enjoy, your Cali will give you guys very nice moments.

In the begining you will have lots of question which will only asnwered by burning miles and enjoying time out there.

Usually newbees get lot of stuffs that after a while you realize you don't need then.... I think you cannot avoid it, but is part of the getting started phase.

Enjoy and welcome!

hey welcome!!!! My advice is just relax and enjoy, your Cali will give you guys very nice moments.

In the begining you will have lots of question which will only asnwered by burning miles and enjoying time out there.

Usually newbees get lot of stuffs that after a while you realize you don't need then.... I think you cannot avoid it, but is part of the getting started phase.

Enjoy and welcome!
Thanks.
Yes must stop sitting at computer pressing the Pay now button. he he

Welcome.
1st trip
Gas, Water, Bedding - sleeping bag or quilt, kettle, mugs, favourite brew, Beer/wine in fridge or cupboard, toothbrush and toothpaste, towel.
Then take it from there.:thumb

This applies particularly to the roof operation which is easily damaged if you don't know what you are doing.

Excellent general advice as usual Borris... although in this case I suspect Lynne may spend a while looking for the roof elevation controls, in their High Top. :Grin :Grin :Grin

Excellent general advice as usual Borris... although in this case I suspect Lynne may spend a while looking for the roof elevation controls, in their High Top. :Grin :Grin :Grin

Roof top is easy peazy push a botton and hey presto.

Roof top is easy peazy push a botton and hey presto.

Hi Lynne. Your Forum ID (what shows on the left side of the screen) says you have a "T5 High Top". The term High Top in VW campervan-speak usually means a fixed high metal roof. Most Californias have an elevating "Pop Top" roof, with fabric sides - is that what you actually have?

If you do have a fabric-sided roof, then as other posters have commented it is verrrrrry important to take care when lowering it, to avoid getting the fabric caught in the scissors mechanism and torn. This is a very common topic of discussion in the Beginner's section of this esteemed forum and deffo one to look out for. A lot (most?) of Cali owners buy a low cost 'bellows bungee' device that greatly reduces the risk of canvas damage.

Oh what a silly billy I am. :Nailbiting
Still if Lynne does actually find roof elevation controls on a high top, that would open up a whole new world of possibilities. Something along the lines of the Knight bus in Harry Potter perhaps.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Still if Lynne does actually find roof elevation controls on a high top, that would open up a whole new world of possibilities. Something along the lines of the night bus in Harry Potter perhaps.

Judging by her last post, it looks like she has. Or maybe it's a Willy Wonka glass elevator.

All changed, thanks for that, again I have hit the buy now button.

Welcome.
1st trip
Gas, Water, Bedding - sleeping bag or quilt, kettle, mugs, favourite brew, Beer/wine in fridge or cupboard, toothbrush and toothpaste, towel.
Then take it from there.:thumb

I agree with WelshGas that this is a good starter list. However, I would also include a tape measure and note book - your Cali will be full of nooks and crannies that cry out for handy boxes and whatnot, not to mention a rug for the floor, cushions, etc :) I'm sure someone here described theirs as a Wendy house on wheels recently...

Cheers, Wind Witch

I agree with WelshGas that this is a good starter list. However, I would also include a tape measure and note book - your Cali will be full of nooks and crannies that cry out for handy boxes and whatnot, not to mention a rug for the floor, cushions, etc :) I'm sure someone here described theirs as a Wendy house on wheels recently...

Cheers, Wind Witch

Been to Ikea and fitted my Wendy house out, really pleased with purchases, no rattles or noises even when my hubbie did an emergency stop!
Fitted the black non slip underlay to every where, stops stuff moving.
Also bought 2 Fiamma side panels, to keep wind out and dog in, ( with an added wind breaker).
So I am getting there.
Thanks

Been to Ikea and fitted my Wendy house out, really pleased with purchases, no rattles or noises even when my hubbie did an emergency stop!
Fitted the black non slip underlay to every where, stops stuff moving.
Also bought 2 Fiamma side panels, to keep wind out and dog in, ( with an added wind breaker).
So I am getting there.
Thanks

What else did you buy at Ikea, lynne? I'm always interested to see what's in people's shopping bags :thumb
Best, Wind Witch

What else did you buy at Ikea, lynne? I'm always interested to see what's in people's shopping bags :thumb
Best, Wind Witch

Hi Wind Witch.
I bought this as it sits lovely behind passenger seat, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeller-31...945467?hash=item2111b43cbb:g:4VAAAOSwzJ5XaW4l
also for stopping the rattles.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-DUR...-GRIPPER-30-X-150CM-/162032124061?hash=iteill m25b9de009d:g:QycAAOSw8RJXB8sO
2 fiamma side blockers, ebay £138.00 each, only took 2 days to deliver, rang Fiamma and was told they were not in stock, ( thank God for ebay as we are going to the west coast next week).
2 of these fit perfectly in boot, one if front of each other and still leaves a space for my luggage.http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09850874/r ( might be the bigger one but it fits perfectly with 1 inch to spare.
For under sink to stop tins etc moving about http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50102973/
Lots of little square plastic boxes about the same size as the basket in the fridge again to stop things rattling, very impressed so far, as my hubbie did an emergency stop and everything stayed put.
Oooo and a wind breaker, 5ft which my Dad is chopping the wooden poles down to fit under rear seat as there is a little extra space on the left which they can slide into nicely.
Which i could afford all of the posh stuff, but I think you can just go on and on.
Mind you I do love my trips to TX maxx, bought lots there........ but that's another story.
Lynne.

If I ever see a Cali parked at our local ikea, I play the "identify the new Cali owners" game. Just look to see whoever is buying one of every model of storage container in the store. Extra points if you spot them again the following week, returning the majority that don't fit!

If I ever see a Cali parked at our local ikea, I play the "identify the new Cali owners" game. Just look to see whoever is buying one of every model of storage container in the store. Extra points if you spot them again the following week, returning the majority that don't fit!

Simple really measure twice buy once ;)

Ha ha, so true, my friend and I had a giggle in IKEA car park, 1st time parking. so parked in a space, friend says "well done on your parking"
Me " why thank you"
Gets out of van, walks around the back, says to friend "quick jump back in"
I was sticking out a metre across the road with the back end. Opps,
Must remember she's a big lass.
No returns for me, love IKEA and its sooo cheap.
Lynne

Ha ha, so true, my friend and I had a giggle in IKEA car park, 1st time parking. so parked in a space, friend says "well done on your parking"
Me " why thank you"
Gets out of van, walks around the back, says to friend "quick jump back in"
I was sticking out a metre across the road with the back end. Opps,
Must remember she's a big lass.
No returns for me, love IKEA and its sooo cheap.
Lynne

Hope it's the Cali that's a "big lass: and not your friend :)
Thanks, lynne, I've bookmarked some things for when ours arrives (whenever that will be...) Iis that all the spare nooks and crannies sorted now then?
Cheers, Wind Witch

Back