Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just put a deposit on a 2015 beach - questions about the added extras they are trying to flog me....

B

benico

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All

Just put a deposit down on a SH Beach! at a VW dealership. Before I could do the deal they tried to sell me a whole range of extra products including Gap Insurance [I said I don't shop at Gap anymore so don't need it;-)]. They also offered me a 2 year warranty for £590ish and the interior stain and ext. paint treatment for £340ish.For these I asked for some further details and said I would think about it.

As I am new to this would be good to get some views on whether these are good deals. For some context the van has done 50k with full VW service history. We will probs be doing around 10K miles per year.

Will introduce the van formally later!

Thanks all

Hi, good decision.

I'd not bother with the paint and interior cover, thats a bit of a money for old rope moneymaker.

As for the extended warranty. Is it a VW one or aftermarket?

If aftermarket check the small print for the many likely exclusions.

If VW it will give you peace of mind for those silly things that can always go wrong, at 50k and 4 years old already issues could crop up. Alternatively it could run sweetly for 10 years before anything troubling occurs, people have different experiences.

Have fun whatever you decide

Local dealer or further afield?
Hopefully you were told about the £1200 of extras could have for free....
We just bought and didn’t go for either of those three. We got seat covers and the paint protection didn’t sound that great...
I did consider the warranty though given the number of people posting with reliability issues but my view was most things would go wrong in the next 12 months or so with the warranty still in place...

Thanks for the reply- yes did get the vouchers (though I don’t think I would have if I hadn’t asked about them). The van is in Kettering so not very local to us in Poole so have agreed a price over the phone. We were told we only get a 6 month warranty - interesting that you have 12 - will investigate.

On reflection will probs give them both a miss - wasn’t convinced about the paint and we are probs going to get seat covers. And I take your point about reliability - feels like a bit of a gamble though!

I have a 2015 albeit an ocean, or whatever they called it then.
Have just shelled out on cam belt/ water pump and DSG oil change.
Have these been done on this one?
It was expensive .
As for warranty, I am guessing this won’t be a VW one so would look closely at exactly what is covered.
Forget the paint protection, money making scheme, buy a tin of polish .
They are built like brick coal houses!
Full steam ahead. Enjoy

Thanks - it’s from a VW main dealer so it would be a VW one - the dealer has just done the belts themselves though not sure about the dsg oil change. will check - what’s the service interval for this?

These are essentially commercial vans so, as you say, should be pretty reliable (#famouslastwords!)

DSG at 40,000 m.
I’d check warranty carefully. Full fat VW warranty available when bought new, 3 yrs can be 5 .

hmmmm. Interesting. Benico are you on the California Facebook group? I’m not yet subscribed here but you may like to message me....

Thanks - it’s from a VW main dealer so it would be a VW one - the dealer has just done the belts themselves though not sure about the dsg oil change. will check - what’s the service interval for this?

These are essentially commercial vans so, as you say, should be pretty reliable (#famouslastwords!)
Im afraid its not a VW underwritten one its a VW third party insurance underwritten one. Based on my experience of the latter with Skoda which no doubt is the same dont bother as you get the classic its not covered. If you search on here VW dealers have even tried to get there way out of the VW direct one ( new vehicles only).

Most of this upselling stuff is money for old ropeas in your case

hmmmm. Interesting. Benico are you on the California Facebook group? I’m not yet subscribed here but you may like to message me....

Will do later - just noticed you are in Dorset so before I do just want to check I don't owe you money or anything like that!

LOL - I think I bought from the same place last week, I thought I might share my experience with you.....

LOL - I think I bought from the same place last week, I thought I might share my experience with you.....
That would be brilliant - just looked on face book and there are two groups the “official VW Cali club one and the Cali community. Have joined the official one - waiting for a response from the other.

As mentioned get seat covers INKA as great / cheap do the job but not very luxurious - or if the seats not so great run them down and get a leather refit in time - i have a 40 month old Beach and run it as my only car - they wear very well the paint seems good. Id take your chances on the warranty but who knows - ive done 65k miles on the 150 engine without incident or issue - and all seems great fingers crossed.

Back