Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just seen this online. I never knew this.....

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

With particular attention to this statement...

"And, while Ford has eyed the leisure camper market with envious eyes for years, it has struggled to match the history and appeal of the VW Camper.

What’s more, Volkswagen is fiercely guarding its hard-won territory, which stretches back to the very early 1950s when Westfalia actually built VW’s campers. The VW California range will not be included in the next part of the collaborative agreement with Ford, to combine the one-ton Transit Custom and the VW Transporter T7 on the same chassis and build them in Turkey. When that happens in a couple of years, VW’s California will move from its current T6.1 Transporter base to its own unique MQB Microbus platform. So, yah boo sucks to Detroit from Wolfsburg, then."

Interesting potential final chess move from VW considering the length and complexity of posts here over the last year singing the virtues of the “upcoming” Ford platform based VW Camper.

Hopefully this puts to bed the silliness of a VW/Ford crossover camper.

If anyone wants an inferior van, go buy a Nugget ;)

Last edited:
Not sure I would take Andrew English @The Telegraph as the last word on the matter. That article is also 2 months old. Whether or not there is a Transit Cali version will depend of many factors such as VW's continuing financial woes, the success (or not) of the MV Concept concept to mention 2. We will know more in '24.

New Transit looks great…
Old and new.

IMG_0912.jpeg

The Ford Alhambra/VW Sharan was one of the worst vehicles either ever made imo.

The Ford Alhambra/VW Sharan was one of the worst vehicles either ever made imo.
Works for me, it’s easier to buy brake pads for a Galaxy than my van for some reason!

Back