Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood replacement

D

dbradley55

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, Can I replace my Kenwood DNX521DAB with a RNS510 into a California T5. The connectors on the rear seem very different - particularly the DIN type steering wheel interface on the Kenwood.

Last edited:
Hi, Can I replace my Kenwood DNX521DAB with a RNS510 into a California T5. The connectors on the rear seem very different - particularly the DIN type steering wheel interface on the Kenwood.
Best to talk to an expert. Absolut5 https://absolut5.co.uk
Expert on the T5 Audio etc: and could advise and supply connectors etc:
He is a Forum member also @Absolut5

Just completely remove the Kenwood. And associated wiring, and this will leave the vehicle plugs inc aerials, and this will plug straight into the 510 and work, you will need the code for the 510

However I strongly recommend looking at the super Kenwood DNX 8180dab and 9190dab, these are in our opinion the best on the market, the fastest operating system, superb screens even HD on the 9190, fully packed with Garmin nav, 3 years updates, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, twin usb etc etc

Am I reading this right.... you say you want to replace the Kenwood with a RNS 510?

I did the reverse on a T5 with no connectors to change. The ISO 10487 A&B sockets and are on the end of a harness on the Kenwood whereas they are on the back of the RNS. Can’t really understand why you’d be doing this as I found the RNS basic, clunky and poor graphics/gui in comparison: and I’m talking about the later DAB/led version of it.

I have a Chinese Android lookalike RNS 510.
Not top quality, but easy to fit, and decent view from a €10 reverse camera from China as wel.

IMG_20170818_175548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170729_161409.jpg

I did the reverse on a T5 with no connectors to change. The ISO 10487 A&B sockets and are on the end of a harness on the Kenwood whereas they are on the back of the RNS. Can’t really understand why you’d be doing this as I found the RNS basic, clunky and poor graphics/gui in comparison: and I’m talking about the later DAB/led version of it.
I'm afraid I don't recognise that description of the RNS 510 at all. Used correctly and with the latest firmware/Map data , I find it is streets ahead of some of the other offerings available.

I would prefer to see the road when reversing. :eek:
Oh. Why?
I prefer looking at the environment. :cool:

Lol, I was just testing if the settings were right. You can see the radio not in place.

I'm afraid I don't recognise that description of the RNS 510 at all. Used correctly and with the latest firmware/Map data , I find it is streets ahead of some of the other offerings available.
An RNS510 should be ok for me, but not the €250 for newer maps. And I am a contributor to OpenStreetMap for years now, so I want to use my own work! For free!! :thumb

Oh. Why?
I prefer looking at the environment. :cool:

Lol, I was just testing if the settings were right. You can see the radio not in place.

An RNS510 should be ok for me, but not the €250 for newer maps. And I am a contributor to OpenStreetMap for years now, so I want to use my own work! For free!! :thumb
£25GB for latest Map Update + Firmware Update.