Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam motordome roof puddles

drmanhattan

drmanhattan

VIP Member
No matter how much I tighten the drive-away awning I always get large pools of water building up on the section connecting to the California's side rail. Does anyone have any useful suggestions for preventing these 'roof puddles' without having to keep pushing them off?

drmanhattan said:
No matter how much I tighten the drive-away awning I always get large pools of water building up on the section connecting to the California's side rail. Does anyone have any useful suggestions for preventing these 'roof puddles' without having to keep pushing them off?

Whilst I do not have a khyam, my solution is to only camp when its sunny..... :cool:

Yes, camping somewhere hot and sunny would definitely alleviate the problem! But what about camping in wet Blighty? I always get 'pooling' whenever I camp in rainy UK no matter how taut my Khyam motordome. The problem is sometimes the water gathers so much it collapses the tunnel connecting the awning to the California. Otherwise I have to keep pushing the water off, creating gushing waterfalls down the sides.

I'm not sure how to best avoid this. If you are on a level pitch and everything is tight, without being stretched them there will be the opportunity for a little pooling. If you have either the Cali or the Kyham at different heights because of a sloping pitch you may do away with pooling but will end up with other issues.

Don't camp during a drought and you should be OK!!

Before I sold my Kyham we used to use an adjustable pole pushed up ( with a towel on the end to make sure it did not damage the "canvas" )
No matter how tight you make it the problem will persist. Joys of owning a drive away awaning.

I have had two types of awnings an outwell country road and now a khyam. The same problem occurred with both as I guess they are made to fit to a vast range of vehicles sizes and shapes.

The best solution I found was to lay a long guy rope across the tunnel section pegged at both ends which creates a gulley for the water and stops the tunnel section from flapping in the wind which was equally annoying.

Chris