Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kit to connect outdoor revolution California coast awning to cali ocean with wind out awning in situ, how do I connect this please?

DieGreenSheff.

DieGreenSheff.

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have a T6cali ocean and have bought an outdoor revolution California coast drive away awning.
Our cali has a wind out awning in situ so I can’t seem to attach the drive away.
I’ve checked outdoor revolution website and the advice is to get a fixing kit with figure if 8 strip.
However there doesn’t seem to be anywhere on the van or the wind out awning to slip in the fixing strip.
I’ve seen magnetic strips advertised but would these be strong enough in high wind?
Day advise or experience gratefully received , thanks Die Green

Check the aluminum profile that forms the leading edge of the canopy, there should be a slot that takes a slide in kador strip, forget the diameter but someone else will know.

5-6mm-Thule-Double-Kador-Bead.jpg
You need to roll out the awning a small way, then the metal leading edge of the roll out awning hinges forward slightly to reveal the kador channel...

Thanks very much - will try this tomorrow cheers

Reactions: Sad
Hi. Can I just ask if your slide door still opens ok with the awning rail and kador strip in this position? Thanks
Yep, we have no problem.

Probably need to make sure the awning connection tunnel is adjusted/positioned correctly...

Thank you. We have tried to fit an awning this weekend but seem to have to have it wound out about 2” to enable door to slide open. I will try again. Yours looks perfect. I’ve been told another way is to attach figure of 8 strip to the top of the awning rail - wind out metal fascia enough to trap figure of 8 and then back in again but worry that this will mark the metal.
Thanks for your help.

We use the kador strip to the bottom channel of the wind out awning with the awning out about 200mm. Once the awning is assembled we wind in the awning as far as it will go. Note: cut the kador strip to the inside dimension of the awning, or you’ll put a kink in the kador strip which isn’t ideal.
Using this method, the door might rub on the kador strip, if either a) the drive away awning connection is not taught (sags), b) if the vans been levelled and the drivers side is sloping downwards from the side of the van (ie you’ve put ramps under the drivers side tyres). If it does rub, let out the wind out awning a bit.

A second method we’ve seen but not yet tried, is to hook the figure of 8 strips to the top edge of the wind out awning, then attach a kador to that, then another figure of 8 to the drive away awning - to give easy decoupling. Or just slot the drive away kador straight into the first fig of 8. This pulls the coupling up much higher than the door.

As I say, we’ve not tried method 2 yet, as I’m trying to source some helicopter tape of the right length and width, to stop the fig of 8 strips rubbing the awning housing.

Last edited:
Yours looks perfect.
Oh, that's not my picture! Can't remember where I stole that from!!

Much like Hawthorn says, but also as in that picture, we have a kador strip cut to length in the awning channel, figure 8 connect then to the drive away awning with the wind-out at a couple of inches, then fettle the drive away and use the wind in of the wind-out to get best tension on the connection tunnel.

I'm not sure that really makes any more sense! :sorry

I don't understand what Hawthorn means about a connection channel in the top of the wind-out awning?

Much like Hawthorn says, but also as in that picture, we have a kador strip cut to length in the awning channel, figure 8 connect then to the drive away awning with the wind-out at a couple of inches, then fettle the drive away and use the wind in of the wind-out to get best tension on the connection tunnel.

I don't understand what Hawthorn means about a connection channel in the top of the wind-out awning?
Does this photo make more sense? This shows how the fig of 8 clips to the top edge of the wind out awning (I can’t claim credit - another forum members suggestion, but I can’t locate the thread).

[Edit] Found it! Original post by @Perfectos , with a photo of an awning attached.

So, from the topside of the fig of 8, you then can insert either the awning directly (could be fiddly as it’s high), or your kador strip, on which you attach another fig of 8, then the awning. It was late in the season when I stumbled on this idea in a thread, so I’ve not been able to see what’s easiest. But, it certainly looks like a solution to the problem of the sliding door catching on the fig of 8 strips.

1667607002596.jpeg

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad
I've started attaching figure 8 strip(s) to the top of the van's awning. It does give a lot more height and stops the door rubbing. I've only done it a couple of times and there have been no marks left. But I am concerned that repeated use will damage it in the long term so will invest in summer helicopter tape at some point.

Thank you Hawthorn37 for that detailed explanation especially the cutting of the kador strip - we had the kink which causes a problem with the zip up door entry. Camping is all new to us and so many things to learn even without the technical van stuff thrown in. After our first 4 days with the awning and it’s issues we feel like never using it again!!
People are so helpful though & thank you to all the camping community.
There is a video I’ve found on you tube by California time erecting a drive away awning on the top edge of the wind out awning but they erect the awning first then attach to the van. Photo attached of their connection. Thanks also to Sad for your help.

1B815FE6-067E-454C-BB7A-2B143D949EEA.png

Does this photo make more sense? This shows how the fig of 8 clips to the top edge of the wind out awning (I can’t claim credit - another forum members suggestion, but I can’t locate the thread).

[Edit] Found it! Original post by @Perfectos , with a photo of an awning attached.

So, from the topside of the fig of 8, you then can insert either the awning directly (could be fiddly as it’s high), or your kador strip, on which you attach another fig of 8, then the awning. It was late in the season when I stumbled on this idea in a thread, so I’ve not been able to see what’s easiest. But, it certainly looks like a solution to the problem of the sliding door catching on the fig of 8 strips.

View attachment 101454
I've never seen this!! :thanks

I shall investigate further, thank you.

Thank you Hawthorn37 for that detailed explanation especially the cutting of the kador strip - we had the kink which causes a problem with the zip up door entry. Camping is all new to us and so many things to learn even without the technical van stuff thrown in. After our first 4 days with the awning and it’s issues we feel like never using it again!!
People are so helpful though & thank you to all the camping community.
There is a video I’ve found on you tube by California time erecting a drive away awning on the top edge of the wind out awning but they erect the awning first then attach to the van. Photo attached of their connection. Thanks also to Sad for your help.

View attachment 101459
I’ve seen this video before, but really don’t know how well it would work. Getting the van positioned well enough AFTER the awning is up I can imagine being a challenge. Even when we recouple the van to the awning after being out for the day, we have guy lines and pegs on the ground to park up accurately. No one wants either a saggy awning, or so taught it’s putting lots of stress on the wind out awning fabric!

I’ve seen this video before, but really don’t know how well it would work. Getting the van positioned well enough AFTER the awning is up I can imagine being a challenge. Even when we recouple the van to the awning after being out for the day, we have guy lines and pegs on the ground to park up accurately. No one wants either a saggy awning, or so taught it’s putting lots of stress on the wind out awning fabric!
Its very easy to increase the tension on the awning along the front or side which is farthest away from the van so that it takes up a little slack or loosens the tightness. But nobody ever died of an awing being slightly wrong.

Just posting some photos of driveway awning attached to the top edge of the side awning, as mentioned back in November last year. This is keeping the side door nice and free, and makes for a dry connection keeping rain out An improvement I’ll make is to cut a short bit of fig of 8 channel so it exactly fits the length of the side awning. A second improvement will be to buy another set of fig of 8 strips to include the pull out kador strip to make the set up better for driveway detachment from the van.

IMG_4496.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4497.jpeg

Back