Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

kitchen unit / cupboard removal

• Thread starter greatnortherncamper
  • Start date
G

greatnortherncamper

VIP Member
We've had a mouse in the van and whilst this issue is now dealt with I'm aware of some "debris" in the void under the floor of the cooker/sink/fridge unit and would like to remove to inspect / clean and confirm no points of entry.

Van is a 62 plate cali 180 dsg 4wd

Not sure if there's a guide to removal? - I found the fridge section and that was really helpful - it's out now - but its looking like the whole assembly, cupboard and all needs to come out as a oner?

Very pleased to hear any thoughts and guidance ....

We've had a mouse in the van and whilst this issue is now dealt with I'm aware of some "debris" in the void under the floor of the cooker/sink/fridge unit and would like to remove to inspect / clean and confirm no points of entry.

Van is a 62 plate cali 180 dsg 4wd

Not sure if there's a guide to removal? - I found the fridge section and that was really helpful - it's out now - but its looking like the whole assembly, cupboard and all needs to come out as a oner?

Very pleased to hear any thoughts and guidance ....
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../068/subcategory/68000/part_id/3707519/lang/e

This is the best I can do. Kitchen and Wardrobes Unit + Tanks etc: are assembled outside the vehicle and inserted by a special machine. Best of luck. Not something I would even contemplate undertaking.

If you can get hold of a Borescope you might be able to at least see if and what's there. I have one and found it very handy in identifying a leaky window behind the sink/cooker.

to the first two responders - sincere thanks for taking the time - the exploded diagram is useful indeed - I've no borescope to hand but stuffing my phone into small gaps and taking pictures has revealed a little more info.

As I continue the process it looks ever more that dismantling in situ may be impossible and the whole unit may require removal as a single item as suggested

Though I'm pretty well equipped and long experienced I may have met my match......

Any other thoughts still appreciated - both persuasive and dissuasive are welcome.

Thanks

It's not even a job that I'd want done by a dealer. Unless there's a mouse corpse under the floor I'd just forget it. My loft is full of redundant mouse nests!

to the first two responders - sincere thanks for taking the time - the exploded diagram is useful indeed - I've no borescope to hand but stuffing my phone into small gaps and taking pictures has revealed a little more info.

As I continue the process it looks ever more that dismantling in situ may be impossible and the whole unit may require removal as a single item as suggested

Though I'm pretty well equipped and long experienced I may have met my match......

Any other thoughts still appreciated - both persuasive and dissuasive are welcome.

Thanks

There a video on YouTube of how they put them in at the factory. As @WelshGas says they go in as one piece tilted on an angle on a forklift. Not a job many would try.
Either try looking from the outside for any possible entry points or see if you can rent a flexible camera. Do you park in a place that has mice around?

Hi All,

Maybe just being over cautious - The various hatches that I've lifted so far don't show much - just some bit sf foam but probably from a chewed up washing up sponge in the bottom cupboard rather than anything more sinister. No damage to any cables to be seen (phew)

We're in the sticks about 10 miles from the nearest town - there's mice around for sure and short of building a mouse proof box - (near impossible I suspect) then there's a risk they'll try to force entry.

I'll clean out what I can and get a flexible camera to inspect all the other areas.

As suggested it'll go onto a ramp and have a good inspection on the underside / engine bay to look for possible entry points - reading around it looks like the waste drain is a favourite - any other suggestions ?

Could still be convinced to pull the unit in its entirety but looks as though it would be bench seat, roof bed, and overhead locker too ......mmmm

As for the 'debirs'.
If you can located exit/entry point might it be possible to attach some garden hose (smaller than a mouse) to your vacuum cleaner flex some how and try to have a dence poke around? I did wonder about the possibility of this getting stuck if you found a way in under the cupboards but without having done any research that you have, I can't imagine why it should.
Good Luck.

As for the 'debirs'.
If you can located exit/entry point might it be possible to attach some garden hose (smaller than a mouse) to your vacuum cleaner flex...

I was told if you can poke a standard bic biro through a hole, then a mouse can get through it...

Thanks again - could you sound advice coming - much appreciated.

Current state of affairs is that I'm going for an Aldi camera tomorrow - ( Many thanks to Itguy ) and will use the results of my "survey" to decide what the next course of action will be - I think full removal is doable without damage but its a lot of work and having removed hatches, fridge and some trim I should now be able to "see" pretty well everywhere.

If its restricted to a few crumbs of foam and biscuit wrapper the small suction hose attached to the hoover and some disinfectant will do the trick.

If there's ongoing cause for concerns i'll have no choice but to go for it as we may be selling in the next while prior to an upgrade and I'd want to be sure there were no hidden issues.

Van was on the ramp last night and I took off some of the plastic shields from the underside. No obvious point of entry there - sink waste drain line grommet was intact and impermeable - cleanwater tank drain not of a form that would allow entry.

Its possible the blighters got in through a door when we were camping last and then stowed away to enjoy their new home at leisure! - fortunately there's no sign of recent activity - traps and tempting morsels have been strategically left to identify any ongoing squatters... both remain undisturbed.

Back