Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help / Advice with T5 California SE fridge removal...please.

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Ref : 2007 T5 California SE

I am calling out to any members who have experience of removing the built in fridge.

Mine has failed.

When I try to turn the fridge on via the overhead display unit I hear the fridge relay clicking ON the immediately click OFF.
I have tested the relay with a multimeter. The relay is fine.
I have done a lot of reading on this forum but sometimes the threads get confusing especially when there are different models involved and the original post goes off topic.
I have also followed the Penguinfrigo videos to assess the problem via the fridge controllers internal led diagnostics.
Having followed the videos I have 5 flashes on the led which means the controller ( Danfoss 101N0220 ) needs to be removed and sent to Penguinfrigo for testing.
They can then assess if the problem is the controller of the fridge compressor unit itself.

THE PROBLEM IS :
I have tried to remove the controller through the access panel inside the cupboard without removing the fridge itself but space is very confined under there and I am worried about breaking something leaving me in a whole new world of pain. I have disconnected the wiring to it and removed the one screw holding it to the compressor but disconnecting the 3 pin plug behind it is a worry and getting that plug reconnected given the limited space is a concern.

Hence the need to remove the fridge so that I can safely remove the controller without damaging it.

Once the controller is tested it may transpire that it is not the controller at fault and the fridge would need to come out anyway to repair/replace other parts that are malfunctioning.

I have downloaded a pdf relating to the earth shunt repair which also includes a brief description of the fridge removal.
This is very useful ........BUT....... I have a few questions that are not covered.

If anyone has personal experience of removing the fridge in a T5 Cali and can offer any advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks
PS : Based in Wales...not Romania. ( Not sure why my profile is showing a Romanian flag )

Last edited:
Ref : 2007 T5 California SE

I am calling out to any members who have experience of removing the built in fridge.

Mine has failed.

When I try to turn the fridge on via the overhead display unit I hear the fridge relay clicking ON the immediately click OFF.
I have tested the relay with a multimeter. The relay is fine.
I have done a lot of reading on this forum but sometimes the threads get confusing especially when there are different models involved and the original post goes off topic.
I have also followed the Penguinfrigo videos to assess the problem via the fridge controllers internal led diagnostics.
Having followed the videos I have 5 flashes on the led which means the controller ( Danfoss 101N0220 ) needs to be removed and sent to Penguinfrigo for testing.
They can then assess if the problem is the controller of the fridge compressor unit itself.

THE PROBLEM IS :
I have tried to remove the controller through the access panel inside the cupboard without removing the fridge itself but space is very confined under there and I am worried about breaking something leaving me in a whole new world of pain. I have disconnected the wiring to it and removed the one screw holding it to the compressor but disconnecting the 3 pin plug behind it is a worry and getting that plug reconnected given the limited space is a concern.

Hence the need to remove the fridge so that I can safely remove the controller without damaging it.

Once the controller is tested it may transpire that it is not the controller at fault and the fridge would need to come out anyway to repair/replace other parts that are malfunctioning.

I have downloaded a pdf relating to the earth shunt repair which also includes a brief description of the fridge removal.
This is very useful ........BUT....... I have a few questions that are not covered.

If anyone has personal experience of removing the fridge in a T5 Cali and can offer any advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks
PS : Based in Wales...not Romania. ( Not sure why my profile is showing a Romanian flag )
There is a How to Guide in the Resources section, " How to do Earth Shunt Repair " this includes a guide on Fridge removal.

Thanks very much Welshgas for the reply.

I had already printed out the earth shunt guide and was going to follow that to remove the fridge but am not sure of the following :

1. Is there anything else connecting the fridge to the bodywork ( apart from the 6 bolts and electrical connectors already mentioned in the guide ....oh .and the removal of the fridge top ).

2. Are there any refrigerant pipes that need to be disconnected thus loosing any gas in the system ?
or does the cool box and all the compressor / fan and cooling radiator etc lift as one with the refrigerant pipes left intact ?

3. Does the black box that sits directly on top of the compressor and has a 240v 3 pin connector
have to be removed before lifting the fridge.?
........or does it remain in place and gets lifted with the fridge box /compressor/fan and cooling rads as one unit ?
(Am I correct in assuming that the black box is the main leisure battery charger fed by the 240v 3 pin cable from the rear compartment mains consumer unit.
Does it have hidden wire connectors hidden behind it that also need to be disconnected ?

4. Are there any other useful hints of tips / words of wisdom for removing the fridge. ?

I know about having the roof up, tape to protect the side of the cupboard .

Is there anything else I should know or be prepared for ?

Thanks

Okay guys n girls.

A very kind member of the group ( credit to bvddobb ) has answered my questions above.
I am posting the answers so that others may gain from the info.

This was his reply :

Hi

I’ll try and answer your questions below:

1. No, not in our case. Just the 6 screws.
2. No, not at all, the fridge comes out as one piece.
3. That black box is the 240/12V transformer and charger. You disconnect the fridge plugs from it, and then the transformer/charger stays in place when you lift the fridge. The plugs are all visible from the service latch in the left cupboard, no hidden surprises behind it or something.
4. Indeed, roof up, some protection, it is easiest done with two people, one working the fridge up from below, the other guiding it on top and vice versa. Also a good idea to find something of the right size/height that the fridge can stand on (push it under through the service latch) when the 6 bolts are loosened or need to be inserted and tightened again, so it doesn’t ‘sink’ too low and you can’t get the holes in the cupboard and wardrobe aligned to get the screws out/in easily.

I think we disconnected the household circuit by disconnecting the leisure battery under the front seat before we started, and then afterwards had to reset the CU, but I am not sure it was this or another job we ventured…

That’s about it. We were a bit nervous starting this but in the end it turned out to be a relatively easy job!
Good luck!

Kind Regards,