Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Water Pump Replacement

G

gatvol

A few threads on here about this, so do a search for more info.

My van is now approaching 8 years old so it was my turn to replace the tap's water pump.

It is a nasty little job, grubbing about in the wardrobe but perfectly doable for a competent DIYer.

I tried my pump the day before we set off for our holiday in Scotland. Totally dead. Fuse was OK. The 12v was reaching the pump. So I knew the probable fault was the pump itself. I live in a hard water area so am used to calcification type problems

Looked on Amazon, ordered a new pump to be delivered to a friend's house in Scotland and it arrived within 24 hours.

I fashioned a tool to remove the water tank cap which lives beneath the wardrobe....

I thought that the rubberised grips of my wire strippers would be more gentle on the tank's cap. The cap is extremely tight, but my health Robinson arrangement did the job without causing any collateral damage.

20190622_164131.jpg

Original VW pump on the right versus Amazon pump on the left ...20190622_153730.jpg

All sorted now

For those how haven’t got working water to the tap. Dont forget to check the micro switch in the tap, and clean it if necessary. You check it by disconnecting the wire to it underneath the sink. The simply short cut / bridge the terminals in the contact. The pump should start and give water to thru the tap. To clean the micro switch (have the wire disconnected) turn the knob on the tap to on position. Gently pull off the knob, exposing the micro switch. Use some fine wet sandpaper (500 or 1000 grit or so) and pass it thru the switch a couple of times. Spray some electric cleaner or break cleaner on it. Done.

Not so. Just ordered one from SMG for the same money as Amazon with about a 50p difference. Thing is why buy from Amazon who don't pay tax in the UK?
You didn't say what price you paid....
I haven't bought anything from amazon yet, i got my pump
from a camping store online ( could be the same )
The company that make the pumps are called Comet and if you
want to buy the same thing albeit with the VW logo then it will
for sure cost you more.
So its a question of how happy you are without the VW logo on your pump
in your tank that you never see.

You didn't say what price you paid....
I haven't bought anything from amazon yet, i got my pump
from a camping store online ( could be the same )
The company that make the pumps are called Comet and if you
want to buy the same thing albeit with the VW logo then it will
for sure cost you more.
So its a question of how happy you are without the VW logo on your pump
in your tank that you never see.

The picture above says 'AMAZON PUMP'....

But anyway, price should come out at about £21, with the discount you get from being a member of this forum....

Sorry, I just hate Amazon...

Not so. Just ordered one from SMG for the same money as Amazon with about a 50p difference. Thing is why buy from Amazon who don't pay tax in the UK?

Hi,
Could you post the link for ordering the pump please - or the search criteria - I haven't a clue and min's not working and I've checked the fuse. Many thanks

A few threads on here about this, so do a search for more info.

My van is now approaching 8 years old so it was my turn to replace the tap's water pump.

It is a nasty little job, grubbing about in the wardrobe but perfectly doable for a competent DIYer.

I tried my pump the day before we set off for our holiday in Scotland. Totally dead. Fuse was OK. The 12v was reaching the pump. So I knew the probable fault was the pump itself. I live in a hard water area so am used to calcification type problems

Looked on Amazon, ordered a new pump to be delivered to a friend's house in Scotland and it arrived within 24 hours.

I fashioned a tool to remove the water tank cap which lives beneath the wardrobe....

I thought that the rubberised grips of my wire strippers would be more gentle on the tank's cap. The cap is extremely tight, but my health Robinson arrangement did the job without causing any collateral damage.

View attachment 46781

Original VW pump on the right versus Amazon pump on the left ...View attachment 46782

All sorted now
Just ordered one - will give it a try myself. Thank you

For everyone having issues with their water in their California, I've put together a guide to help identify which issue you are actually having (I've had 3 different ones so far).

https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I intend to expand this with detailed step-by-step guides on how to fix each of them, including how to replace the water pump. So, do drop by the article and show some support if you are interested in any of them. I'll probably start with the one that people need the most.

Cheers!

Can anyone help please?
I've got the official prong tool thing... I can't get the white cap off
Does it turn the same direction as the gas bottle lid (anti clockwise).

Help!

20220806_131728.jpg

20220806_131708.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone help please other,
I've got the official prong tool thing... I can't get the white cap off
Does it turn the same direction as the gas bottle lid (anti clockwise).

Help!

View attachment 97342

View attachment 97343
1 disconnect the feed (connector in the grey foam).
2 using the “official prong thing” undo the large access cap and remove it with the water level sensor in place (anti clockwise).
When you have the cover off you can feed the new pump wire up from inside the tank.

Pipe fell off my pump a few days before we were due to head off for 2 weeks. Needed to open the fresh water tank to stick it back on, so I ordered the “official prong tool” - it was completely useless!

The prongs are too skinny and long to exert the required amount of force needed to shift the lid of my tank. Needed to “modify” it to accept a socket wrench T bar, chop the prongs down and increase their radius a bit with brass rod.

Not pretty, but the job got done If you’re really having trouble opening the fresh water tank PM me and I will lend it out.

A4D2412A-C7F6-4977-B14C-ADCEA4D938BB.jpeg

Pipe fell off my pump a few days before we were due to head off for 2 weeks. Needed to open the fresh water tank to stick it back on, so I ordered the “official prong tool” - it was completely useless!

The prongs are too skinny and long to exert the required amount of force needed to shift the lid of my tank. Needed to “modify” it to accept a socket wrench T bar, chop the prongs down and increase their radius a bit with brass rod.

Not pretty, but the job got done If you’re really having trouble opening the fresh water tank PM me and I will lend it out.

View attachment 97356
Thanks so much for the tips and the offer. I still can't loosen the darn thing and agree, the tool is useless as it comes.
I'm away until the 25th but would like to borrow it after, if that's still OK?
Can I message you when I'm home and we can arrange? I'll send it straight back once I've finished .
I appreciate your kind offer

OK, for any one browsing this thread in search for a guide on how to replace the water pump, here's a guide I've put together after replacing mine:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/how-to-replace-the-vw-california-water-pump-b8ec3aac2868

If you are not sure if you need to replace your water pump or not, you can use this other article to determine what problem is affecting your van:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps!
Please delete all the unnecessary repeat posts. It’s not helpful. One main post and links to it would be helpful.
And if it’s useful, put it in the resources section and link to it.
But PLEASE not 10 or more threads with the same ‘copy and paste’…