Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ladder

We bought the folding Maxxcamp one and it slots in beautifully between the front seats. There is a video of it on YouTube. I have posted about it before and I think it's one of our best purchases. It sits above our comfort mattress on the rear shelf when we're travelling. It is expensive but worth it. We bought on their website and it was shipped from Germany.

I agree. We bought the Maxxcamp
ladder too. Expensive but it fits, is robust and no sharp edges. I leave it in the roof space during camping days. Saves standing on seats which in my view could prematurely damage the heating element. This is probably the best accessory I have bought.

Inside we just climb on the shoulder of the front seats to get upstairs. It’s easier with the front seats turned around. I tend to take my step ladder to get stuff from on top of the roof ( I don’t get on with my real ladder). Joking aside a small step ladder that fits in the boot is the only way I get stuff off my roof rack.

After all the views and great ideas I’ve gone for the 2-piece one in the club shop. Expensive yes, but think it’s the best option for my wife and I. Useful for roof access as well as I intend to fit a solar solution from Roger but not have the curly cable permanently attached. I’ll need to get up to plug/unplug as necessary.
That one works for us. Only problem is in cold weather it’s really cold on bare feet. I always need a wee in the night and the cold makes me need a wee more. I think I’ll glue strips of carpet to the rungs.
Anyonegot any idea what glue is best for sticking rubber backed mat to aluminium securely?

That one works for us. Only problem is in cold weather it’s really cold on bare feet. I always need a wee in the night and the cold makes me need a wee more. I think I’ll glue strips of carpet to the rungs.
Anyonegot any idea what glue is best for sticking rubber backed mat to aluminium securely?
Just use pipe lagging tube and cut the tube to rung length. Easy and just a couple of quid.04B1C788-0E93-4192-85FD-1B4B200F89BD.png

Good morning.

some time ago we got the ladder here from the Club Shop.

While not in use it fits nicley at the back of the rear seat in its cover. To take it out and put it up is part of our camping workflow. So far we don't need the ladder, but we got one to avoid damaging the arm rest or the heating elements in the seat. So far it works kind of well.

What I feel is, if the ladder is up it will decrease the room to get up. Maybe I need to lose weight (well, I must lose weight), but if the ladder is up there is not much space to hand something up (bed cloth) or just to look up.

Never the less I am happy to have the ladder and we will continue to use it.

Happy California.
Eberhard

Just use pipe lagging tube and cut the tube to rung length. Easy and just a couple of quid.View attachment 64211
Thanks for the idea Aztec but I don’t fancy foam. The ladder rungs are quite wide and flat. I already have some carpeting off cuts from fitting a rug in (Marvel mat fron Dunelm, UK). It’s rubber backed and doesn’t fray when cut. Just need to find out what glue will do the job.
Thank you anyway for your suggestion and time to reply. :)

Swivel a front seat around , hang it on the headrest and it lays on the seat back. Does’nt swing and each step is deep making it easier to step on in bare feet.
Ladders, expensive, difficult to store easily and can be a real pain in bare feet if they have thin steps.

Works well with G & T.
I use mine with the passenger seat facing forward, as normal, and go up using my heels with no problems, Wife also. You have the seat backrest as a guide up and no possibility to fall backwards.
Both 70+.

Just an alternative method.

Stores in the rear overhead locker.

When I first got my Cali in 2008, I stepped up on the front seat armrest to get upstairs. It broke, and cost me over £300 to replace!
These special brackets work well for the T4 captains seats - not sure what situation is for later models. They fit over the end of the metal arm and restore functionality. You need to have an allen key or similar with a long reach to remove the arms. There are many sellers on ebay - here's one

We had our Cali for 6 years, always sleep up top and never felt the need for a ladder, both fit and 63.

After all the views and great ideas I’ve gone for the 2-piece one in the club shop. Expensive yes, but think it’s the best option for my wife and I. Useful for roof access as well as I intend to fit a solar solution from Roger but not have the curly cable permanently attached. I’ll need to get up to plug/unplug as necessary.

I've just gone for one of those too. How do you find it?
I don't know if the T6.1 is different to previous models but theres no way to secure the top of the ladder to the shutter frame on ours. Unfortunately this means it can easily be knocked over by our over excited dog

Hi Zooks, not really used it yet apart from trying it out. I’ve been pondering what to do to keep it in place. I’m certainly not going to screw the two retaining clips into the van. I’ve got a length if pipe insulation to use at the top to prevent any damage to the hatch surround but it’s not ideal. We don't have a dog so less of an issue for us but need to make it grandchild proof :)

Hi Zooks, not really used it yet apart from trying it out. I’ve been pondering what to do to keep it in place. I’m certainly not going to screw the two retaining clips into the van. I’ve got a length if pipe insulation to use at the top to prevent any damage to the hatch surround but it’s not ideal. We don't have a dog so less of an issue for us but need to make it grandchild proof :)
When you say retaining clips do you mean the plasic hooks on the top of the ladder?
We didn't get anything other than the 2 sections of ladder and a bag!

Hi Zooks, I got a 2 piece ladder last year, I haven’t found that it moves much where it leans on the hatch sill. Perhaps if you got something grippy and stuck it to the sill it would stop any movement side to side.

When you say retaining clips do you mean the plasic hooks on the top of the ladder?
We didn't get anything other than the 2 sections of ladder and a bag!
There were two separate plastic pieces, each with two screw holes. The hooks on the ladder are supposed to clip onto them.

There were two separate plastic pieces, each with two screw holes. The hooks on the ladder are supposed to clip onto them.
Ahh thanks. Some bits missing from ours then altough i wouldn't want to drill into the van either.

Hi Zooks, I got a 2 piece ladder last year, I haven’t found that it moves much where it leans on the hatch sill. Perhaps if you got something grippy and stuck it to the sill it would stop any movement side to side.
Thanks. My wife is concerned about the dog knocking the ladder away when she is up top (wife not dog :))

Thanks. My wife is concerned about the dog knocking the ladder away when she is up top (wife not dog :))
In my case I'm not sure I would worry about that..............

I bought one (not from Cali shop) and whilst I thought it was pricey, it made going up and down a lot easier and stress free. Also handy around the house too...
I am being to think that a ladder may be useful. Maybe you could enlighten me to the use of the one from the Club shop. Can the one from the shop be used without turning the seats. I ask as we last used the upper bed while parked at Portsmouth port while waiting for a early ferry and would not be able to turn the seats around with this type of overnight stop. I manged to get up to the bed with a step stool on the seat and a push from my husband.

Never really tried without turning the seats, but it would certainly be possible if you push the seats forward and maybe tilt them forward.

I am being to think that a ladder may be useful. Maybe you could enlighten me to the use of the one from the Club shop. Can the one from the shop be used without turning the seats. I ask as we last used the upper bed while parked at Portsmouth port while waiting for a early ferry and would not be able to turn the seats around with this type of overnight stop. I manged to get up to the bed with a step stool on the seat and a push from my husband.
Yes it is possible, we did so earlier this week.

FYI I bought a length of foam pipe insulation which i put on the front edge of the open hatch when using the ladder. It cushions the ladder from the plastic trim and I think helps to avoid the ladder slipping. (I didn’t want to drill holes to fit the supplied clips).

Barbara I don’t have the one from the club shop but agree with others there is space between passenger seat and kitchen to put the ladder. May need the seat pushed forward and back upright.