Larger 2+2 campervan family discussion

Hawthorn37

Hawthorn37

Retired, and working hard at it
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We’re currently having a discussion about if we should stick with our Ocean (plus driveaway awning) for trips away with young grandchildren, or move to say an Adria Twin Sports 640 SLB (or similar) which has more accommodation including a fixed bed for the big people and a pop top bed for the young ‘uns. Since grandchild no.1 is 9 months, and grandchild no.2 is -1 month, we have a bit of time for this discussion. Maybe a year to set our stall. So, I thought, why not enlist the opinion and experience of our Cali community? Which van or combo of van plus awning do we feel feel best suits grandparents and grandchildren wanting to share stress free (?) camping experiences? Answers on a postcard …. Or this thread. Thanks!

About to go this route (camping) with 3 year old Grandson, & Daughters due date today, another boy.
So camping, hiking, fishing, manly stuff in swamps etc. always thought they can sleep up top.
And I’ll snore in the awning or if it’s cold inside with wifey (If she wants to man up and do fishing & hunting. (Bugs ;)

Another option to throw in to the mix is keeping your Ocean and buying a caravan to tow when you need the extra space. My kids are of similar ages and it’s definitely something we’ll consider as they get a bit bigger.

Right now we have a Cinch Hub which we bought because it can go up and down quickly. It’s a good little setup but we tend to limit ourselves to a couple of nights as there’s definitey more of a faff factor involved with taking very young kids…they need A LOT of stuff and went it goes bad, it goes really bad!

We’ll also consider a bigger van when the time comes of course but I figure if you have a caravan parked up on a site then a Cali becomes the most amazing little exploration hub when you have kids with you…it can go pretty much anywhere which isn’t the case with bigger vans, there’s beds to nap on, comfy chairs to sit in and watch a quick movie, a table to play at, somewhere to make lunch, a den in the roof, easy access to bikes if you have a bike rack…kids just absolutely love them. Then it’s back to the site in the evening for a bit more comfort and space in the caravan. Definitely got a certain appeal to it and achieves some things that it’d be impossible to do in a bigger van.

Just got to get comfortable towing it of course :D

Last edited:
We've for a 3yo and 5yo and constantly roll the idea of a bigger van around. Like a gieger counter, we're constantly fluctuating.

Currently on the 'stick with Ocean' mindset on the basis that the van fits everywhere, can be used every day, has plenty of parts, easy fixes (compared to larger, more limited run vehicles), fuel efficient, strong resale, etc etc etc.

As Jimmy says - if we need bigger for camping trips specifically, we can always get a caravan - something like an Eriba just for the kids to have, etc. Who knows - far enough away that we dont need to worry for now. And even if we had more space, i'm not sure we'd lose the driveaway awning. It gives too much valuable space.

How often would it just be you going away and how often with the Grandchildren?
renting something bigger occasionally could be another option
Having rented larger RV's I've found it prohibitively expensive c £175-£200 a night. When you add in camping costs you're at the same price point as either glamping or a pretty decent hotel.

We've for a 3yo and 5yo and constantly roll the idea of a bigger van around. Like a gieger counter, we're constantly fluctuating.

Currently on the 'stick with Ocean' mindset on the basis that the van fits everywhere, can be used every day, has plenty of parts, easy fixes (compared to larger, more limited run vehicles), fuel efficient, strong resale, etc etc etc.

As Jimmy says - if we need bigger for camping trips specifically, we can always get a caravan - something like an Eriba just for the kids to have, etc. Who knows - far enough away that we dont need to worry for now. And even if we had more space, i'm not sure we'd lose the driveaway awning. It gives too much valuable space.
Eribas have poptops right? Think I’ll swerve one of those thank you…

We had similar thoughts and so hired an Adria 640 SLB for a week last summer. The Adria was comfortable and of course more spacious but to us felt a completely different ‘touring’ experience - and slightly less enjoyable.

Parking was an ongoing problem we don’t have with the Cali. The driving was more demanding too - such a long and heavy van! That’s the price of having a fixed bed and loo/shower, I guess. We tended to stay onsite more and not dart about like we do with the Cali.

Anyway, we decided to stick with the Cali. Space in the day is at least as good with some sort of extra tent or awning and at night both vehicles sleep four comfortably.

However the Adria Twins are great, if space/headroom/on board facilities are of more value to you than a more nimble vehicle.

By the way there is a shorter Adria Sport too - the 600. Transverse bed though, which might not work for you.

Currently on a site in Dorset and someone has an Ariba Twin. Chatting today - they park it up on site then use public transport or taxis to get around. That’s too limiting for me. It’s certainly a first world problem - but something we’ll vex over for some time.

We went down the bigger van route and are now back to a smaller pop top van. What you gain in inside space you lose in drivability and parking. We found we were constantly planning which roads to use and possible coffee stops en route to make sure there was somewhere to park. Like you said once you’re on site it’s not as easy to drive around in a bigger van ( although there is less packing up to do). I will really miss the room inside in my old van! There’s always a compromise!

Another option to throw in to the mix is keeping your Ocean and buying a caravan to tow when you need the extra space. My kids are of similar ages and it’s definitely something we’ll consider as they get a bit bigger.

Right now we have a Cinch Hub which we bought because it can go up and down quickly. It’s a good little setup but we tend to limit ourselves to a couple of nights as there’s definitey more of a faff factor involved with taking very young kids…they need A LOT of stuff and went it goes bad, it goes really bad!

We’ll also consider a bigger van when the time comes of course but I figure if you have a caravan parked up on a site then a Cali becomes the most amazing little exploration hub when you have kids with you…it can go pretty much anywhere which isn’t the case with bigger vans, there’s beds to nap on, comfy chairs to sit in and watch a quick movie, a table to play at, somewhere to make lunch, a den in the roof, easy access to bikes if you have a bike rack…kids just absolutely love them. Then it’s back to the site in the evening for a bit more comfort and space in the caravan. Definitely got a certain appeal to it and achieves some things that it’d be impossible to do in a bigger van.

Just got to get comfortable towing it of course :D
One of the big advantages of a campervan over a motorhome/caravan is their narrower width. I quickly discounted the idea of a caravan as it limits you on more narrower country roads, also you need to attach wider wing mirrors when towing.

One of the big advantages of a campervan over a motorhome/caravan is their narrower width. I quickly discounted the idea of a caravan as it limits you on more narrower country roads, also you need to attach wider wing mirrors when towing.
Could also be a disadvantage of a bigger van though Bazza, you only need to get a caravan to and from one place, then you can jump in the Cali. With a wider, longer and higher van you’re going to feel additional inconvenience every time you drive it. As @Georgiegirl said, we’re back to that C word again :)

Thanks for all of your contributions. The arguments for and against are exactly where we’re at! I think a bigger van would change our outlook on where to go. The Cali already feels big on narrow lanes and tiny villages.

Thanks for all of your contributions. The arguments for and against are exactly where we’re at! I think a bigger van would change our outlook on where to go. The Cali already feels big on narrow lanes and tiny villages.
If you stick with the Cali/awning option, biggest tip is to be realistic about how you and your partner manage under stress. That's exactly why we went for the Cinch popup option instead of a bigger driveaway awning, me and my Mrs bicker like old women the moment the stress level gets cranked up :D

We tend to do shorter trips to be fair but a very real scenario for us (kids are 1 and 3) is that we will pull in to a campsite after a day out with both kids crying. One or both might need a toilet/nappy change, one might have been sick in the van on the way to the site, both might be getting hungry or just generally overtired...there are just a million different, equally painful scenarios which can (and do) occur! Meanwhile it's starting to rain outside and we need to get the van and awning set up as quickly as possible and get some food on. Some folks would cope fine in that scenario and gladly put up a big awning but we're definitely not that couple!

We decided the Cinch was the best option to avoid a bitter divorce...we lose some space compared to a biggy but it pops up and down quickly and one person can do it so the other one can tend to the kids. It also packs flat and can be slid behind the bench seat, some of the bigger awnings are huge and space comes at a massive premium when travelling with young children.

I think (hope) it gets a bit easier as they get a bit bigger so we'll probably revise our approach again as they grow but right now this is the method that keeps our relationship intact. A bigger van would probably help a lot with the initial setup stuff, but then the stress comes from other places of course.

Long way of saying how you cope with stress and the duration of your trips should be a consideration as to how big an awning you go for if you keep the Cali :) Hope I haven't put you off the idea of taking them totally!

Last edited:
Having pought twp previous vans 'with grandchildren in mind' we never took them once! OK first one was premature as the notion of grandkids was in the future, the second van was when we the nippers were 2yr+ and just born. Now that we have an assortment of nippers (3) between 5 and 8 we may well take them on a few adventures...... but still not gonna buy a bigger van just for those few occasions!

Our first van was 6m Globecar, 2nd was 5.4m Hymercar.......... now we have the one that is more fun, easier and more pleasurable to drive, a nicer place to be in, blah blah blah

Yes we do miss the instant standing headroom and a 'private' loo...... but tbh that's all we miss :cool:

I do 'get' the whole thing of thinking about family and grandchildren , but quite frankly we have spent much of our lives bringing them up and worrying about them..... without sounding too selfish..... it's now time to worry about ourselves :thumb. We are not getting any younger, we will always 'be there 'if our kids need us, but too many adventures lay ahead to always be concerning ourselves about others.

And if this all sounds harsh? ..... we love them, we spend much time 'baby sitting' (always an absolute pleasure), we are the bank of mum and dad (sometimes too often), we do countless odd jobs and tasks for them because we have the time and they don't........... so really? our van is for us :) to use when we want, how we want, without having to cart around a wagon suitable for everyone else when most of the time it's just the two of us :):)

I see a bigger van as 'pipe and slippers' ........ the Cali more like 'jeans and a t-shirt' :cool:

Probably not a well set out analogy :eek: ...... I think the Cali is better suited to having adventures whereas bigger vans are perhaps better suited to being 'comfortable' and staying in one place most of the time. Nothing wrong with that at all, just not for us.

Having pought twp previous vans 'with grandchildren in mind' we never took them once! OK first one was premature as the notion of grandkids was in the future, the second van was when we the nippers were 2yr+ and just born. Now that we have an assortment of nippers (3) between 5 and 8 we may well take them on a few adventures...... but still not gonna buy a bigger van just for those few occasions!

Our first van was 6m Globecar, 2nd was 5.4m Hymercar.......... now we have the one that is more fun, easier and more pleasurable to drive, a nicer place to be in, blah blah blah

Yes we do miss the instant standing headroom and a 'private' loo...... but tbh that's all we miss :cool:

I do 'get' the whole thing of thinking about family and grandchildren , but quite frankly we have spent much of our lives bringing them up and worrying about them..... without sounding too selfish..... it's now time to worry about ourselves :thumb. We are not getting any younger, we will always 'be there 'if our kids need us, but too many adventures lay ahead to always be concerning ourselves about others.

And if this all sounds harsh? ..... we love them, we spend much time 'baby sitting' (always an absolute pleasure), we are the bank of mum and dad (sometimes too often), we do countless odd jobs and tasks for them because we have the time and they don't........... so really? our van is for us :) to use when we want, how we want, without having to cart around a wagon suitable for everyone else when most of the time it's just the two of us :):)
Well argued !

Could also be a disadvantage of a bigger van though Bazza, you only need to get a caravan to and from one place, then you can jump in the Cali. With a wider, longer and higher van you’re going to feel additional inconvenience every time you drive it. As @Georgiegirl said, we’re back to that C word again :)
That is a very valid point I never thought of! That said we've not yet driven anywhere other than site to site in our Cali as I'm mindful of having to pack everything away each time. Also I'm paranoid that with a van full of valuable items such as tablets, laptop, Brompton bikes etc it's a lot less safe on a public car park than a site. But you do have a valid point it's a hell of lot easier to park a Cali and a VW Crafter sized van :)

An Adria 640 SLB (two birth) is currently on sale at £84k ................ surely a more powerful GC600 with a similar spec is not going to any more expensive? Both have a four berth option, and still the GC is not much more expensive

I actually concur with you on this.
100% I bought this for me and the wife.
If it works as it should, as a multi tool for my needs.
Then happy days.

Although I think we will end off visiting a couple of showrooms, my gut is to stick with our Cali. We’ve got a LOT of tours in plan, just for the two of us, where a larger van doesn’t really make sense. Maybe time will tell, but perhaps if we need to maybe a solution will be to buy a little trailer to stuff the kiddie accessories, awning etc in. Then buy the old fogies comfy van when agility leaves us and our joints finally pack in! They do say ‘use it or lose it’!

Last edited:
Although I think we will end off visiting a couple of showrooms, my gut is to stick with our Cali. We’ve got a LOT of tours in plan, just for the two of us, where a larger van doesn’t really make sense. Maybe time will tell, but perhaps if we need to maybe a solution might be to but a little trailer to stuff the kiddie accessories, awning etc in. Then buy the old fogies comfy van when agility leaves us and our joints finally pack in! They do say ‘use it or lose it’!
Yup, go with that plan and feel GOOD about it :thumb Ignore any soothsayers, this is what works for you. The only note I would add is stick the kidz in the trailer then even more comfort! :D:D:D

Seriously tho, enjoy the now, the future is always ahead of you ……

Back