Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Latest DIY for Harvey

IanH777

IanH777

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Thought you might be interested in our latest adjustments for Harvey, our 680…
Pics 1&2 are the attachments for a cabin divider curtain (still being made)
The drawers:
Inspired by Debs Burden’s video (and with her very welcome advice) I spent MY Christmas afternoon installing wire shelving in the two port-side cupboards of Harvey.
On Debs’ advice we went for the heavier-duty wire baskets, ordered from Amazon.
Brand name: Kukoo (see order pic) basket sizes are much less than the standard kitchen cupboard sizes indicated.
3 x 300mm (3 for cupboard 1L. Actual width 197mm)
3 x 500mm (3 for cupboard 2L. Actual width 397mm)
3 x 500mm (3 for cupboard 4L).
You’ve guessed already that (like aircraft doors) I’ve assigned the doors sequentially on vehicle left/right side (with cupboard 3L being electrical)
The rail-sliders in the cupboards shown are built each on wooden supports to clear the hinge/door surround (only on one side in cupboard 1L), 250 x 70 x 21mm (from B&Q). I haven’t started cupboard 4L yet so can’t tell you about the required size of wood yet but I know that a 500mm basket will fit…all screwed into place 180mm apart vertically (all drawers are 140mm high) and 155mm inboard from the inside of the cupboard doors (which allows clearance from all the gubbins at the back) with countersunk 30mm screws. The rails are then screwed onto those using half inch screws. Apologies for the imperial/metric mix there…) I planned on those rails being positioned to slope slightly down towards outboard so that they would naturally close with gravity but they are SO robust they stay in any open position (but they ARE soft-close).
The beauty about these Kukoo rails is that they are each adjustable by 2/3mm once in place.
I haven’t yet been able to source similar baskets for vehicle right side cupboard 1R as it isn’t as deep as those on the left. Any suggestions?

5E62A217-10AA-4E36-8979-16CCE25D0DEA.jpeg

CD4A7CB3-B892-494F-A7B0-49408780DB16.jpeg

3ACAC097-823F-4EDC-B047-0EAF46323F0F.jpeg

CCA0C73B-C78E-48C6-9A65-DB641A756F7C.jpeg

119505A9-AFD3-433A-8843-4AB869B08E09.jpeg

AF6A2AE6-2DA4-40E5-B434-0A4D424449EA.jpeg

19C0124B-1733-4E99-9CB3-E71FC0D7F52D.jpeg

CDCE4D5C-A488-4BBD-8CC4-1D7CB3087669.jpeg

Great job with the cupboard shelves I might have to copy those
Where did you get your wooden base for the wet room from? The only one I can find is from a company in Germany and they won't deliver to the UK..
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Where did you get your wooden base for the wet room from? The only one I can find is from a company in Germany and they won't deliver to the UK..
Thanks
Mike

Mike: we got it from Camposy, that very same company in Germany. They will deliver to a German postbox (look up mailboxde.com) and then THAT company will forward to UK. It was very easy.

Hi I love the drawers. What is the video you refer to from debs burden. I can’t find her as a member ? Thanks

Hi I love the drawers. What is the video you refer to from debs burden. I can’t find her as a member ? Thanks
You will find the video on the Facebook group, don’t think Debs is on here.

Looks great - we need to do the same as so much wasted space at the moment.
Where did you get your wardrobe rail from please?

Thanks
Linda

Thanks
Mike

You can use Mailboxde.com to get anything from abroad to here.

Looks great - we need to do the same as so much wasted space at the moment.
Where did you get your wardrobe rail from please?

Thanks
Linda
Hey, Linda!
We got the rail and brackets from B&Q and then just cut the rail to fit.

The drawers:
Inspired by Debs Burden’s video (and with her very welcome advice) I spent MY Christmas afternoon installing wire shelving in the two port-side cupboards of Harvey.
Brand name: Kukoo (see order pic) basket sizes are much less than the standard kitchen cupboard sizes indicated.
You’ve guessed already that (like aircraft doors) I’ve assigned the doors sequentially on vehicle left/right side (with cupboard 3L being electrical)
The rail-sliders in the cupboards shown are built each on wooden supports to clear the hinge/door surround (only on one side in cupboard 1L), 250 x 70 x 21mm (from B&Q). I haven’t started cupboard 4L yet so can’t tell you about the required size of wood yet but I know that a 500mm basket will fit…all screwed into place 180mm apart vertically (all drawers are 140mm high) and 155mm inboard from the inside of the cupboard doors (which allows clearance from all the gubbins at the back) with countersunk 30mm screws. The rails are then screwed onto those using half inch screws. Apologies for the imperial/metric mix there…) I planned on those rails being positioned to slope slightly down towards outboard so that they would naturally close with gravity but they are SO robust they stay in any open position (but they ARE soft-close).
The beauty about these Kukoo rails is that they are each adjustable by 2/3mm once in place.
I haven’t yet been able to source similar baskets for vehicle right side cupboard 1R as it isn’t as deep as those on the left. Any suggestions?

View attachment 87731

View attachment 87732

View attachment 87733

View attachment 87734

View attachment 87735

View attachment 87736

View attachment 87737

View attachment 87738
So, FINALLY I had made a start on cupboard 4L and the basket for a standard 500mm cupboard (drawer width 397mm) does NOT fit (wait for it…) by just ONE MILLIMETRE because of the LH runner not having enough clearance to fully extend beyond the asymmetric door surround! Aaaaaargh!
Have just finished the job by using a drawer for a standard cupboard of 400mm (drawer width 297mm) and using wooden supports each side, 48mm wide.
Now I can finish off by painting all wooden supports…

92B7B1C1-CF47-4740-956B-FF1C09BE3189.jpeg

6A97AD9D-4C21-4168-AFA6-865E7719C59A.jpeg

So, FINALLY I had made a start on cupboard 4L and the basket for a standard 500mm cupboard (drawer width 397mm) does NOT fit (wait for it…) by just ONE MILLIMETRE because of the LH runner not having enough clearance to fully extend beyond the asymmetric door surround! Aaaaaargh!
Have just finished the job by using a drawer for a standard cupboard of 400mm (drawer width 297mm) and using wooden supports each side, 48mm wide.
Now I can finish off by painting all wooden supports…

View attachment 92763

View attachment 92764
I used the larger ones but just took a notch out of the door supports so the tray can slide out easily.

I used the larger ones but just took a notch out of the door supports so the tray can slide out easily.
Hi Dominic, I’m going to use the 500mm draws also in the L4 cupboard and cut a notch out. Do you mind telling me the width of the side support? i.e 250x70x?
Thanks

The drawers:

View attachment 87731

View attachment 87732

View attachment 87733

View attachment 87734

View attachment 87735

View attachment 87736

View attachment 87737

View attachment 87738
Going to attempt installing the draws today, thanks for the information!

Back