Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some GC680 Lockdown Mods

B

Bobcat01

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I've been doing some mods to my GC during lockdown. It would be great to capture others mods here for all to see and share.

Mod1 cupboard hanging rail for jackets. Not required for 600.

8EF3D860-D751-409E-8EDC-21B066043E73.jpeg

Mod 2 some cupboard shelves.

60371BCB-F8F4-425B-A8B0-148A357E5F5D.jpegC2FDD2E5-945F-4E0A-A2BB-23AA0BE08CE0.jpeg

Mod3
Added additional screws to kitchen drawer rails. If like us you store pans and tins and other foodstuff in the drawers be aware there's only a couple screws holding each rail which is not enough for heavy stuff in the drawers. A few on the German forums finding the rails have pulled out from the fixings.I filled most of the available holes which was overkill but certainly worth some additions.

9E89D458-9322-4E61-A736-29AA7598550F.jpeg

Also found a rather practical bin that flips up or forwards which is handy. When we are using the door it clips over the rail of the V in the bed out of the way.

F482B376-D433-4C5B-A404-92CD5E3212DC.jpeg89DA31BC-AC5F-4284-AD28-4E17E03D053F.jpeg

Only other intended mod is to fit the VW shower head holder as per the 600. Hopefully it will stick on as I'm not keen to drill the shower cubicle. VW must have been making some serious cost savings to leave these mods out.

Last edited:
All very good mods.
Could you let us know where you bought the parts for the mods, e.g. the bin.

Thanks Bob, just ordered VW 680 this week with lots off addons. Cost a fortune. Thanks for this. How you enjoying your 680? Got the park assist so hopefully not so bad when parking up at places.
What are the black out blinds like to fix?

Hi Paddy we got delivery of our van early Nov so managed to get some use of it before lockdown. We had a T5 for 5 years before which wasnt a daily driver. The GC is definitely a step up in luxury, comfort, long term liveability and having the bathroom facilities has made a big difference for us. A lot of the early reported issues seem to be ironed out with VW havIng corrected and made modifications to address them. Overall the van seems technically simpler than the T6s and I dont miss having to faff with the roof, making beds etc. The 680 is a big van but you soon get used to it. It is sluggish to 30mph but after that is great and drives and corners extremely well given the size. Park assist wasn't available when we ordered but the reversing camera and side sensors certainly help. Re the black out blinds we haven't used them, we have always had an external thermal screen cover and bought the same again for the GC it stops any internal condensation issues. The internal blinds sound to be a bit of a hassle to fit.
I know what the waiting process is like just shout if you need any info in the meantime. When's your expected delivery, colour?

Thanks Bob, external blinds seem to be the way. Posted a new post on the subject, so will be interesting to see reply's. So pleased lots of the issues are now sorted. I would think these external blinds will be water proof. Also intend to use it for skiing in the Alps if we ever get free again. VW informed me its all winterized and I added the diesel heater to save the gas. Fridge is electric, so hopefully solar panel will keep this going if not on the grid.
Gone for the indium grey metallic. Delivery is approx. May. So excited. Bloody expensive, but looking forward to some great rips.

Yes the external blinds are waterproof and we used ours in the snow several times. The only minor issue with them is shaking off the rain and rolling it up into the bag when there wet. You get a bit damp doing so. The thermal silver ones certainly keep the van nice and cool in the Summer also. The diesel heating is great and very effective and quiet. There are several heating outlets including the back passenger side of the van, so gets lovely and warm all over. My only concern re winterisation is the waste water tank which is an externally underslung plastic tank open to the elements. But this could be further improved if it becomes an issue.

Yes the external blinds are waterproof and we used ours in the snow several times. The only minor issue with them is shaking off the rain and rolling it up into the bag when there wet. You get a bit damp doing so. The thermal silver ones certainly keep the van nice and cool in the Summer also. The diesel heating is great and very effective and quiet. There are several heating outlets including the back passenger side of the van, so gets lovely and warm all over. My only concern re winterisation is the waste water tank which is an externally underslung plastic tank open to the elements. But this could be further improved if it becomes an issue.
Re water tank, they are not ideal and really should have a heating jacket.
in cold weather leave the valve open and leave a bucket under the valve, that freezes and not the tank, you just then have to empty the bucket however a little mor regularly.

Hi Bobcat01, my GC is on its way and I am now getting exited. I want to fit a rail for hanging coats and the extra shelves like you have done. Can you tell me if the rail is just from B&Q and are the shelves home made or did you buy them and if so where from?

The rail came from an Amazon seller REJS UK INT LTD at £5. You need to cut it to size. Do not use the screws provided and purchase some Euro Screws M5 5mm x 9mm on eBay. Mark and tape your drill bit to ensure you don’t go thru the cabinet wall. I cut the rail tight and it was firm without the need for screws but I put them in anyways.

For the shelves I used woodsheets.com ordering white and black Melamine faced chipboard you gIve them the measurements and they came back cut ready to fit. There not the quickest but they arrived eventually. I then bought some 18mm double lipped U shape edging white and black to cover the front cut edge from eBay seller MWProfiles. Then bought some shelf support stud pegs from Amazon and I was ready to go. Typically I fitted three shelf supports per side which I found more than enough.
Feel free to ping me directly if you need any further Info. The mods in my opinion have really maximised use of the available space.

Last edited:
The rail came from an Amazon seller REJS UK INT LTD at £5. You need to cut it to size. Do not use the screws provided and purchase some Euro Screws M5 5mm x 9mm on eBay. Mark and tape your drill bit to ensure you don’t go thru the cabinet wall. I cut the rail tight and it was firm without the need for screws but I put them in anyways.

For the shelves I used woodsheets.com ordering white and black Melamine faced chipboard you gIve them the measurements and they came back cut read to fit. There not the quickest but they arrived eventually. I then bought some 18mm double lipped U shape edging white and black to cover the front cut edge from eBay seller MWProfiles. Then bought some shelf support stud pegs from Amazon and I was ready to go. Typically I fitted three shelf supports per side which I found more than enough.
Feel free to ping me directly if you need any further Info. The mods in my opinion have really maximised use of the available space.
Thanks very much for your very helpful and comprehensive advise. Much appreciated.

sounds like a great job. Thanks. Any chance of a link to a few pics.

For the shelves I used woodsheets.com ordering white and black Melamine faced chipboard you gIve them the measurements and they came back cut ready to fit. There not the quickest but they arrived eventually. I then bought some 18mm double lipped U shape edging white and black to cover the front cut edge from eBay seller MWProfiles. Then bought some shelf support stud pegs from Amazon and I was ready to go. Typically I fitted three shelf supports per side which I found more than enough.
Hello Bobcat,
I've just read your article and would like to carry out your modifications to the kitchen drawers and the van hanging rail.
How do you release the drawers from the rail so that I can add the extra screws? I've tried lifting them a little and giving a bit of a wiggle, to no avail.
Are the Euro Screws M5 5mm x 9mm suitable for both the draw rails and the fixings for the hanging rail? What size pilot hole do you recommend for the Euro Screws, (I've not used them before)?
Alan

Evening Alan,
To release the drawers there is a knack, if you look under the drawer right at the front of each rail there are two clips one light gray the other dark gray per rail, the light gray one moves towards the middle of the drawer To release the drawer from the rail. You then push the dark gray ‘wedge’ in towards the rail which forces the drawer up out of the rail. You need to do this to both rails. To refit the drawer is easy and you basically align the drawers to the rails and push them in and they just click into place. Yes euro screws would be suitable for the rail also just try to cut the rail fairly tight. I checked the drill but there is no size remaining on it but it’s about 3.5mm I did a few tests on an old piece of wood first. Remember to tape the drill bit in order not to drill to deep.

A couple of further mods.
Fitting of fridge ‘gallery’ to hold bottles from moving.
Smaller table 800x 400mm with offset leg.
Modular drawers for water fittings, tools, spares, etc..

668706D3-EE95-4F30-B9CE-BD89D41F9F26.jpeg

A6881B16-2A01-42B0-BD5F-F559BF92D0AC.jpeg

62D1BDCE-D0C3-42ED-A192-3E37A4AFE816.jpeg

A couple of further mods.
Fitting of fridge ‘gallery’ to hold bottles from moving.
Smaller table 800x 400mm with offset leg.
Modular drawers for water fittings, tools, spares, etc..

View attachment 79245

View attachment 79246

View attachment 79247
Hello Bobcat,
Thanks for the info regarding the earlier mods.
I like your extra mods. Could you let me have more details about your 3 extra mods. I hope you don't mind sharing your ideas. I'm a great believer in not re-inventing the wheel.
Many thanks,
Alan

Fridge separator is from Hart Wholesale who are the UK agents for Blum.
There really helpful when I phoned them up.
The rail comes approx 1mtr in length and needs to be cut to size.
The rail also comes in aluminium colour but they can’t get hold of it just now Hence the cream fitted.

ReferenceDescriptionQtyValue
ZRU00FOGBLUM GALLERY RAIL DIVIDER GREY1.000.36
ZRG1104UBLUM CRS GALLERY RAIL 1104 ALU/CRM1.002.25
ZRU00ZOIBLUM GALLERY RAIL CONNECTOR GREY1.000.94
SHIPPINGDelivery to the UK - £10.001.0010.00

Drawer units via Amazon, Rotho Systemix, comes in various modular drawer configurations. There held in place by a couple of polystyrene blocks and never move.
Smaller table via Clearcut Campervans either via website or eBay, a couple of different sizes and a choice of colour finishes and edging finish. Adjustable leg from them also Reimo Campervan adjustable leg Item number: 252122488995. I then had to get a friend to 3D print the brackets to mount on the table to attach to the wall fixing strip. I can send the 3D file if you want to go that way.
Hope that helps.

Drawer units via Amazon, Rotho Systemix, comes in various modular drawer configurations. There held in place by a couple of polystyrene blocks and never move.
Smaller table via Clearcut Campervans either via website or eBay, a couple of different sizes and a choice of colour finishes and edging finish. Adjustable leg from them also Reimo Campervan adjustable leg Item number: 252122488995. I then had to get a friend to 3D print the brackets to mount on the table to attach to the wall fixing strip. I can send the 3D file if you want to go that way.
Hope that helps.
Hello Bobcat,
Thanks for the update.
I assume the fittings on the table are not compatible with the VW rail on the side panel. I don't have access to 3D printer. Do you know of any other source for brackets to fit on the table?
Alan

Hi Alan
the table comes as a bare top with the edging so theres no fittings. I’ve searched long and hard for brackets to buy, unsuccessfully. The same company do offer brackets and rail but it would mean screwing these on or perhaps you could try some of the strong double sided tapes or pads.

Fridge separator is from Hart Wholesale who are the UK agents for Blum.
There really helpful when I phoned them up.
The rail comes approx 1mtr in length and needs to be cut to size.
The rail also comes in aluminium colour but they can’t get hold of it just now Hence the cream fitted.

ReferenceDescriptionQtyValue
ZRU00FOGBLUM GALLERY RAIL DIVIDER GREY1.000.36
ZRG1104UBLUM CRS GALLERY RAIL 1104 ALU/CRM1.002.25
SHIPPINGDelivery to the UK - £10.001.0010.00
Thanks for the information Bobcat.

Will

Drawer dividers cheaper on Amazon U.K.
I ordered small for gc600

Practical Comfort Adjustable Drawer Organiser | Elegant Aluminum, Customisable for Clutter-Free Kitchen, Junk Drawer, Office, Clinic | 6 Drawer Dividers (2 Long + 4 Short), Small 39 cm - 44.5 cm deep https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GN44VY2/?tag=eliteelect-21
Fitted mine last Thursday a fantastic addition.

By the way the long ones run front to back, and you can give the ends a sharp tug cut them to size and push the ends back on.

Back