Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery, charger or earth problem?

Chris B

Chris B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just been to put the batteries on mains charge as not been using van for about 4 weeks and discovered that the control panel was dead, suspected leisure batteries were dead, tried interior lights, nothing so assume batteries are dead. Now on hookup, control panel back on and initially flashing between G and hookup symbol, seems to have settled to just show charging on hookup.

My concern is how quickly the leisure batteries died, we last used the van for 11 nights, got back from touring West Country on 15 Sep after mixture of hookup and non hookup camping but the batteries showed full on return as it was a long drive. I had noticed last couple of times that we used hookup that they didn't always display 100% charge even after being on for a couple of days, which they always had in the past. I was beginning to wonder if this was an indication fault rather than blame the campsite power supplies at more than one location. Now that the batteries are dead I wonder if there is an earth drain somewhere? I normally charge the batteries every month for a couple of days if we haven't been out for a while, as the van is a 2015 Cali they should be in good condition still.

As I understand it, once the batteries drop below a certain level (60%?) the control panel will shut everything down to protect them. Would it be normal for everything to be dead after 4 weeks if this had happened? As the control panel was dead, there are no diagnostic codes displayed.

Any thoughts on likely cause of this issue would be welcome.

The Control Panel will shut down the Fridge and Parking Heater when the Leisure Batteries get down to less than 11 volts, but if anything else is left on then that can continue draining the batteries, such as water pump, rear cabin lights and 12v sockets.
Does the tap/water pump still work? What about the upstairs flexi light?

The Control Panel will shut down the Fridge and Parking Heater when the Leisure Batteries get down to less than 11 volts, but if anything else is left on then that can continue draining the batteries, such as water pump, rear cabin lights and 12v sockets.
Does the tap/water pump still work? What about the upstairs flexi light?
Just tried after about 30 mins on hookup so not enough to charge batteries, currently show 0% with hookup disconnected. Fridge, heater, pump, lights including flexi were all off but work when switched on, which surprised me if the batteries show 0%. Charging at 11.9V / 13.4A on hookup.

Just tried after about 30 mins on hookup so not enough to charge batteries, currently show 0% with hookup disconnected. Fridge, heater, pump, lights including flexi were all off but work when switched on, which surprised me if the batteries show 0%. Charging at 11.9V / 13.4A on hookup.
The Control Panel % is an indication rather than an absolute. You might get a higher % if you switch it Off using the L Lower switch, wait 30 secs and switch On.

If everything was OFF then the Leisure Batteries should hold a charge for Months not 4 weeks.
So the possibilities are:

1. A current drain. Once fully charged via the Charger then check to see what the Power drain is , shown on the Control Panel. It should be less than 0.2 amps which is the current required to run the Control Panel. This will drop to 0 when the screen goes into Standby.
2. Faulty Leisure Battery. Not unknown.
3. Have you owned the vehicle from new? If not the Leisure Batteries might have been abused by the previous Owner or even the Dealership and hence their life might be shortened.

If everything was OFF then the Leisure Batteries should hold a charge for Months not 4 weeks.
So the possibilities are:

1. A current drain. Once fully charged via the Charger then check to see what the Power drain is , shown on the Control Panel. It should be less than 0.2 amps which is the current required to run the Control Panel. This will drop to 0 when the screen goes into Standby.
2. Faulty Leisure Battery. Not unknown.
3. Have you owned the vehicle from new? If not the Leisure Batteries might have been abused by the previous Owner or even the Dealership and hence their life might be shortened.
Thanks for the information, once fully charged I will check to see what the Power drain is and see how long the batteries retain their charge. The control unit now shows 20%, dropped from 30% after a couple of on/off cycles, will now leave to charge for a 24 hours are see what happens.
We have had the vehicle from new and had no issues for the first year, as it is still in warranty if there are further issues I guess it's over to the dealer.

Thanks for the information, once fully charged I will check to see what the Power drain is and see how long the batteries retain their charge. The control unit now shows 20%, dropped from 30% after a couple of on/off cycles, will now leave to charge for a 24 hours are see what happens.
We have had the vehicle from new and had no issues for the first year, as it is still in warranty if there are further issues I guess it's over to the dealer.
Definitely.