Leisure battery life - Van parked up?

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All,

I mainly use my california for trips away and when at home use another vehicle and the van is parked for up to 2 weeks. During that time the leisure batteries discharge quite a lot which I find surprising because nothing is running. Every time I check the control screen, it just states that he current draw is <1A.

Realsitically if your not using your van, how often do you need to plug in to charge the batteries?

Also wondering if I switch of the RCD's in the rear cupboard, does that basically isolate the batteries?

PS - 2024 T6.1 Ocean purchased new in May.

Thanks, Spencer

Hi All,

I mainly use my california for trips away and when at home use another vehicle and the van is parked for up to 2 weeks. During that time the leisure batteries discharge quite a lot which I find surprising because nothing is running. Every time I check the control screen, it just states that he current draw is <1A.

Realsitically if your not using your van, how often do you need to plug in to charge the batteries?

Also wondering if I switch of the RCD's in the rear cupboard, does that basically isolate the batteries?

PS - 2024 T6.1 Ocean purchased new in May.

Thanks, Spencer

If not being used the batteries should last well over 4 to 5 weeks. I plug in the van to mains at least once every 4-6 weeks and without plugin, I can go and camp for over 4 days without the batteries running out. This is a 7 year old battery. VW recommend 24 hours every month.

No, the RCD will not isolate the batteries. The RCD is only for mains power.

Hi All,

. Every time I check the control screen, it just states that he current draw is <1A.
The current draw shown is because you've turned on the control screen.

The leisure batteries should only discharge very slowly as long as you don't have any chargers etc left plugged into the 12v sockets.

I'm also a recent new owner of 2023 T6.1 and am experiencing the same. Nothing plugged in, nothing switched on, nothing in the inverter socket. Attached readings show daily drop - descending order - acquired from Victron app without opening the doors to the van.

Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 15.08.25.png

If not being used the batteries should last well over 4 to 5 weeks. I plug in the van to mains at least once every 4-6 weeks and without plugin, I can go and camp for over 4 days without the batteries running out. This is a 7 year old battery. VW recommend 24 hours every month.

No, the RCD will not isolate the batteries. The RCD is only for mains power.
When you say "VW recommend 24 hours every month", do you mean you should plug it in for 24 hours once a month to give it a good charge?

Not used ours fully yet (only had 3 weeks) so nothing on to pull a current, and not charged it, but OH constantly watching the voltage - not that it means much to her, she just likes to drive until it shows full :veryfunny
Maybe I need to take note of where it is daily just in case I have a crap battery.

I'm also a recent new owner of 2023 T6.1 and am experiencing the same. Nothing plugged in, nothing switched on, nothing in the inverter socket. Attached readings show daily drop - descending order - acquired from Victron app without opening the doors to the van.

View attachment 130007
I assume a daily drop of 0.03volts isn't good as over a month you'll be under 12volts :confused:

When you say "VW recommend 24 hours every month", do you mean you should plug it in for 24 hours once a month to give it a good charge?

Not used ours fully yet (only had 3 weeks) so nothing on to pull a current, and not charged it, but OH constantly watching the voltage - not that it means much to her, she just likes to drive until it shows full :veryfunny
Maybe I need to take note of where it is daily just in case I have a crap battery.
Correct.

though If I am not using the van much, it just stays plugged in. i have kept it plugged in for a week to 10 days continuously and that it has just kept the batteries in good health.

Maybe it is the Victron that is pulling a constant current? Is there an option to put that to sleep and see if that impacts you. Either which way, plug it in once in a while for an extended period and it should get your battery voltage to be where it needs to be. ... but do look at what could be draining the battery.

I assume a daily drop of 0.03volts isn't good as over a month you'll be under 12volts :confused:
Well, if you know that the nominal voltage of a 12V battery at ease is around 12,5V, it isn't worrying yet if you see the voltage drop from 13,2V after a drive (at least on mine, without regenerative braking), to about 12,7V. After a few days of rest, the voltage will be down to 12,6 or 12,5V, and then it will stay there for days/weeks, before it starts dropping again, but very, very slowly.

I’ve owned my 2008 Cali since 2009 and I’m still using the original batteries that last 4 days with the fridge on. No heater.

Our van is used for summer use and spends the rest of the time parked up in a bay down the road. For months and months. The only time I plug it in at home is the night before we go somewhere and I load the fridge. The only exception is we do occasionally use it for day trips and maybe one Airbnb trip a year. The rest of the time it sits idle for winter etc. They have gone flat at least 3 times.

I honestly think all batteries vary enormously. I couldn’t have treated mine worse if I tried. After 16 years I’m considering getting new batteries or a solar top up. 2 new batteries are cheaper than solar.

Back