Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery location

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Newbie question, I know the battery is somewhere in the wardrobe on a ocean. Question is where can’t find it, I have a solar panel to install so need to access the battery terminals. So can I ask where it is and how do you get it out .. thanks

Newbie question, I know the battery is somewhere in the wardrobe on a ocean. Question is where can’t find it, I have a solar panel to install so need to access the battery terminals. So can I ask where it is and how do you get it out .. thanks
Open the tailgate.
L hand side of boot, base of rear wardrobe, is a panel. Use coin or large blade screwdriver to undo lock and lift out panel.
Base of battery, between battery and lip of opening, is a nut and clamp plate. Remove.
Battery can be lifted out without disconnecting. Long leads.
To get battery over lip and out is a pain. Lift front of battery and slip a paint scraper or dinner knife under front edge and slide battery up the slope and over the lip.
Good idea to put a strap or rope round battery and leave in place as makes it easier to remove in future.

Beware, if the red +tve lead is removed it will remain live as it is connected to front Leisure Battery.

Thanks so much for the info and tips I will have a look later

Thanks so much for the info and tips I will have a look later
One word of warning. On the red +tve battery pole is a 50 amp cube fuse, or possibly 75amp. Normally the Solar red lead is put on top. The Control Panel will show the raised voltage when the panel is charging. However, the cube fuse is rather delicate and can fail with no notification except your Leisure Battery runs down quicker as you only have 1 battery in circuit. If you wire the Solar lead below the cube fuse, if that fuse fails you will notice that the Control panel voltage doesn't increase when the Solar panel is working.

Thanks so much. Will have a go connecting this afternoon. Love the work of art

Another beware: when moving the battery out of and back in the rear closet, don’t lose or knack the small black plastic gas vent hose, that is mounted at the side of the batt.
The other end of the hose goes under the floor of the battery chamber.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Open the tailgate.
L hand side of boot, base of rear wardrobe, is a panel. Use coin or large blade screwdriver to undo lock and lift out panel.
Base of battery, between battery and lip of opening, is a nut and clamp plate. Remove.
Battery can be lifted out without disconnecting. Long leads.
To get battery over lip and out is a pain. Lift front of battery and slip a paint scraper or dinner knife under front edge and slide battery up the slope and over the lip.
Good idea to put a strap or rope round battery and leave in place as makes it easier to remove in future.

Beware, if the red +tve lead is removed it will remain live as it is connected to front Leisure Battery.
My dealer advised that on new T6/6.1 the mains inverter needs to be removed before the rear battery can be taken out. Apparently this use to be under the fridge but is now above the battery bolted through the wardrobe and stops the removal of the battery.

They also mentioned that if a safe is fitted the rivets needs to be drilled out to access/remove the inverter.

There, although I don't have an ocean.
IMG_20200324_112039.jpg

My dealer advised that on new T6/6.1 the mains inverter needs to be removed before the rear battery can be taken out. Apparently this use to be under the fridge but is now above the battery bolted through the wardrobe and stops the removal of the battery.

They also mentioned that if a safe is fitted the rivets needs to be drilled out to access/remove the inverter.
Well that’s a new one.
The Mains Charger has been above the rear Leisure Battery since about 2010, or thereabouts. Where the Safe is located is nowhere near the rear Leisure Battery.
Nothing has changed on the T5.1/T6 and I very much doubt if the T6.1 is any different.

I suggest looking for another Dealership.:thumb

@icic
Search the forum , lots of info .
Look here for a bundle pictures that will get you to know a Cali a bit better .
I know it is a T5 i'm showing , it's a rather old thread and there was not even a T6 then , but a T6 has lots of compares.
I'm sure there are other threads showing how to take out the rear lesure battery.

Do fill in your verhicle details as it still shows : looking to buy

Well that’s a new one.
The Mains Charger has been above the rear Leisure Battery since about 2010, or thereabouts. Where the Safe is located is nowhere near the rear Leisure Battery.
Nothing has changed on the T5.1/T6 and I very much doubt if the T6.1 is any different.

I suggest looking for another Dealership.:thumb
Let's say my inverter is still under the b fridge. And I have a T5.1, but a very early one. So it still has a lot of T5 genes and only a few T5.1 genes.
So, a few things have changed from the T5.1 to T6. Not every California is the same, remember that ! :happy

Let's say my inverter is still under the b fridge. And I have a T5.1, but a very early one. So it still has a lot of T5 genes and only a few T5.1 genes.
So, a few things have changed from the T5.1 to T6. Not every California is the same, remember that ! :happy
The only thing that has changed regarding the Leisure Batteries and Mains Charger position from the T5.1 to T6 is precisely nothing and I cannot see VW changing anything on the T6.1.
It would be impossible to remove the Mains Charger without removing the Leisure Battery first and the Wardrobe Safe is nowhere near the rear battery. :thumb

@icic
Search the forum , lots of info .
Look here for a bundle pictures that will get you to know a Cali a bit better .
I know it is a T5 i'm showing , it's a rather old thread and there was not even a T6 then , but a T6 has lots of compares.
I'm sure there are other threads showing how to take out the rear lesure battery.

Do fill in your verhicle details as it still shows : looking to buy
Each new member should have read this old thread, and certify on the honor of having done so. ;)

Each new member should have read this old thread, and certify on the honor of having done so. ;)
There wouldn't be many new Posts if they did.;)