Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel charging question

D

Dave Packer

hi guys Newbie question, I just plugged my solar panel directly into the rear battery should I expect to see a “charging” indicator on the control panel similar to when I’m plugged into a hook up ??

Cheers

How do you mean - the feed direct from the solar panel into the 12v terminals of the battery?? No charging controller??

No charger control just straight onto the terminals it’s only a small panel to trickle charge the battery !

I bought a cheapy solar panel for a vehicle left at airport for 2 weeks.
Guess what state the battery was in upon my return......

(Clue: rhymes with hat)
I’ll get my coat

Ahh, well, not sure what size the panel is - it won't trigger any symbol but you should see the voltage readout raise when working. Fully charged battery should see about 12.7v and if panel produces more than this then you should see it go up.

I’ll get my coat
Thanks for the reply I guess my question should have been does the control panel show any indication that you have a solar panel connected

Cheers

Ahh, well, not sure what size the panel is - it won't trigger any symbol but you should see the voltage readout raise when working. Fully charged battery should see about 12.7v and if panel produces more than this then you should see it go up.

Thanks for the info

I’ll get my coat
Why would you need a Panel for 2 weeks.
Mine starts first time after a 4 week stay at Heathrow, even at -2c. Full alarm On.

Thanks for the reply I guess my question should have been does the control panel show any indication that you have a solar panel connected

Cheers
No!
You could monitor the voltage which would give an indication of charging as has already been pointed out .

Why would you need a Panel for 2 weeks.
Mine starts first time after a 4 week stay at Heathrow, even at -2c. Full alarm On.
I did say ‘a’ vehicle and not ‘the’ vehicle.
Any guesses how long ago I had my 2 weeks in Greece???
:cheers

I did say ‘a’ vehicle and not ‘the’ vehicle.
Any guesses how long ago I had my 2 weeks in Greece???
:cheers
Were the Elgin Marbles still there?