Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Let there be (fog) light...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So, finally got around to adding the front fogs kit I bought about a year ago!
Job is fairly straight forward (VWT4Forum was a good source of info for getting the lowdown on how to do), although undertaking in near freezing conditions is a killer on the fingers this time of year!

The kit I bought was made up of original and OEM replica parts (the mounting brackets and new double-pull headlamp switch being original VW parts. The lamps themselves and wiring loom being replicas of OEM).

I cut the bumper's fog light apertures with a dremel (drilling a series of small holes and then sawing round with a hacksaw blade), the cutting line is represented on the interior of the bumper by a series of dots and the tabs for mounting the brackets are present.
Once the holes were cleaned up, the brackets simply fit over the tabs - i added a bit of Sikaflex 221 to hold them in place and then melted the tabs with a gas soldering iron to lock them in place.

The kit i bought assumes you will replace the headlamp switch unit with an original double-pull version (so when you pull the headlamp turn-switch, first pull position turns on the front fogs, second pull position, the rear fog light). The fiddliest part of this job was to get the live switch cable to the back of the relay/fuse box under the steering wheel - note i spent ages battling with trying to pull plug A2 from the back of the relay board, only to discover there's locking mechanism that needs to slide to release the plugs - Doh! moment... Maybe its general knowledge, but if you take this on the I maybe saved you raw fingers and 30mins of expletives!!
The wiring loom comes pre-plugged to add the connector to position 8 on A2 on the back of the relay board. Then there's a relay to plug in position 10 on the board and bob's your father (as he is in my case)...

Very happy with the results, adds a little "je ne sais quoi" to the little green camping machine... :D

20180303_103437 - Copy.jpg

20180303_112557.jpg

20180303_115755 copy.jpg

20180303_115950.jpg

20180303_115958.jpg

20180303_122120.jpg

20180303_125142.jpg

20180303_140104.jpg

20180303_142016.jpg

20180303_190827 copy.jpg

Should add, after drilling and sawing the holes, i then sanded the edges of the holes first with a dremel and then by hand. This did chip a little of the paint, but I touched it up with a bit of stone-chip repair paint I had...
20180303_191023 copy.jpg

Nice job there. VW have left it easy enough to ad stuff like this. I've added a few things to mine and its usually easy enough when you get the correct loom and other parts.
The fog light look great and also add a bit of extra light when driving on narrow country roads at night when there isn't any other traffic around.

Quality work. :thumb

Nice job there. VW have left it easy enough to ad stuff like this. I've added a few things to mine and its usually easy enough when you get the correct loom and other parts.
The fog light look great and also add a bit of extra light when driving on narrow country roads at night when there isn't any other traffic around.
Thanks!
Indeed, when it comes to retrofitting some of these things, there is some element of plug-n-play to them that really helps - the fact that the cutting marks are there and the tabs for the brackets made this part a breeze...

Nice. I was looking at doing this to mine too. Same colour green by the way!
Cheers. If you're going to do it, I'd say the hardest part to find (for me anyway) was the correct switch - there are variations of this, depending which colour backlight you need. Mine needed to be red (to calm my OCD)... But it does look so much better having the right switch and not having to add an additional switch to the dash... (again, my OCD kicking in...)

Regarding fitting the wire into the A2 plug, found this image that should help (not a picture of mine - actually it wasn't possible to pull down my board so i could see the back of it - not sure if the California simply has more wiring back there, but there was no way to rotate it, even off its hangers - so had to work blind).
Its not clear, but where i point out 'lock', there is a sliding mechanism on the side of this board, push it in and that unlocks the plugs allowing them to be removed without the swearing :headbang

Good luck if you're going to do this, but i'm sure you'll be happy with it...
:D

relay board.jpg

Part number for the switch (with red backlight): 7D0 941 531Q

I was going to buy these as a one for one replacement on mine as they are a little misty. On further inspection though mine appear to have two bulbs fitted.....one is a regular halogen fog, the other appears to be a regular 5W sidelight type bulb, though neither of these 5W ones work at the mo. Are these able to take 2 bulbs? Can't make it out from the image Anyone know if they ever had day-running type lights? Japanese import.

A bit of investigating at the w/end is in order i think.

Hi,
The ones I bought have a single H3 bulb in each unit , but those you talk of sound cool, fog lights and DLR's all in one ;)

Mine have a short strip of flexi LEDs stuck inside to act as DRLs.

Easy mod.

Lovin the angel eyes... :cool:
Did the lenses come away easily to fit those LED strips?

Can’t take the credit I’m afraid. As bought.

Not Angle Eyes, Audi A4.